1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace CS & WS in gacha to prestigous coin alternatives, or...?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cak33, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    12:09 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Gacha, for the better or worst, plays a very, very significant part to help new players obtain some mesos, and both CS/WS plays a huge part of it. Lucky players wins a CS, sells it a low price for some mesos (or get scammed by some whispers for half the market price), and finds himself having enough to get a zak helm at lvl 50, which is highly recommended by most friends and guildmates (warrior for accuracy, range for washing. i don't have a reason for mage tho, juz get lord pirate hat later kekw)

I wrote a semi-ironman journal, playing a no-leech paladin, where I did not use any gacha to simulate shitty gacha lucks, and did not sell any items in FM to simulate a new player's lack of knowledge regarding market prices here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...nal-low-nx-lightly-washed-white-knight.39919/ (don't mind my sneaky shameless promo :D). Alr level 70+ and I have never crossed the 6m mark in total mesos saved before. If I'm a new player, and I have shitty gach luck except for this one WS/CS winning, only to realize that I can't convert them to meso (not enough to pay tax) and buy items, I'll be pretty depressed.

Two solutions to combat this:
    1. Not a very nice way. Basically the title. Instead of winning CS/WS, they get prestigous coins alternatives instead (fixed 100 coins).

Pros:
    - Gives new players a chance to sell and earn mesos, or get scammed by whispers for half the market price.
    - Straightforward system

Cons:
    - This forces every player to go through taxes to get the scroll.

2. Add a new pouch, gacha pouch, into the prestigous coin system. Gacha pouch can be redeemed into either a CS, WS or a fixed value of 100 coins by the new ToT NPC. Allows existing players to choose which one they prefer.

Pros:
    - Gives new players a chance to sell and earn mesos
    - Subjectively prevents whisper scams (make pouch untradable, force them to go ToT) (Edit: Just saw there's a prestigous shop in henesy, so may be less effective KEKW)
    - No need to pay tax to get scroll, if desires.

Cons:
    - Adds complexity. Perhaps a note is needed to direct new players to ToT/Henesy.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    6:09 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Overall interesting idea, don't necessarily see any harm in doing this but also not sure if it's really needed.

Just want to add that there is no meso tax they have to pay for converting a ws/cs to a coin pouch, so any scroll gained through gacha can still be seen as full profit even though you get less coins than the scroll is worth.

Never having crossed the 6m mark is obviously down to you not using the fm, even new players should be capable enough to sell their scrolls they obtain even when sold at the wrong prices so it's a slight overstatement but point made :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    12:09 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Oh right, I forgot that changing CS/WS to coins doesn't require any meso conversion, making this purpose of the thread obsolete O<-<

Being unlucky is not a bug so, just trying to be considerate for the truly unlucky guys :)

4. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    12:09 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    I wrote this in the other thread but coming into an insane amount of wealth (relative to other players at your level) is not good. New players have no idea what the value of meso is and more importantly what to spend their money on. Giving them a giant lump sum on a lucky roll takes away a huge part of the game, which is slowly working your way up to better gear and learning how to make more and more money.

I think this is a great opportunity to keep WS/CS locked behind midgame at the earliest.

(also even if you get garbage gacha luck, you can make a guaranteed ~8m+ questing by Level 50 if a player is proactive enough to look into it)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Oolong

Oolong Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    11:09 PM
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    i need to go back to 2 years ago when i dumped scrolls thinking they were useless pls ty

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    9:09 PM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Though what you say about new players not understanding what to spend their money on may be true, I don't believe this is a valid reason to remove their involvement from this content. I believe making mistakes and learning from your mistakes contributes to one's growth and understanding of this game.

Back in GMS, I remember:
    • I once luckily obtained MW30 from the Cash Mystery Box (before Pink Bean could be (easily) defeated), only to be sold for a 1 bil mesos. Did I make the wrong choice? Probably, but this sets further precedence on how I approach selling rare items in the future, such as owling for prices before selling.
    • Recognizing scams or having been scammed in FM:
      • Buying/Selling FM scam, where one character would sell an item for a certain price on one side of FM and another character would buy that same item for a higher price on the other side of FM.
      • 22 atk Leather Arms since it looks so much like a glove. (Thankfully I did not fall for it)
      • Visiting keylogging site posted in your FM shop and getting your account hacked.
      • So on..
    Some mistakes may be avoidable, but, eventually, people will have to learn how to buy and sell items, whether it be lvl 50 or lvl 150. I'm sure everyone on MapleLegends have made some sort of mistake in the past which helped them grow into the experienced mapler they are today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    I don't disagree with you- I edited my post for clarity. Being scammed isn't why I'm opposed. It's because getting a giant lump sum of money very early on in the game is terrible for new player experience, because they have no context for how little or how much, say, 200m really is. It completely invalidates the early game and ruins any sense of gear progression for a long time, and delays the experience of learning how to making money and other important game mechanics way too late

I don't like it purely from a design perspective

8. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    9:09 PM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I see the point you're trying to make, but a similar example would be one winning the lottery. I am certain that of all the lottery winner, there are a few who still loses all their money (equivalent to millions of USD in value). This dilemma is not a problem of age, but from their inexperience in dealing with huge sums of money. The only way they can truly learn is through trial and error or learning from other people's mistakes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    We'll agree to disagree on this one but the difference is this is a video game and we can easily adjust the parameters. I admit I'm talking out of my ass when I say this but I have to imagine new player experience as well as player retention improves if someone isn't handed their goal on a silver platter on a lucky pull

Just my 2c, I'm clearly in the minority here but I stand by it :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. kingno

kingno Mano

Jan 6, 2017
    Male
    7:09 AM
    Dark Knight
    i say remove cs and ws from gach. its annoying when people get them and become rich.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    11:09 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    to note, the question of who pays for the tax (ws/cs to coins) is still up for grabs even if it looks as if noobies scoring ws/cs pays the full amount