1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important The end of 2021.

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Dec 31, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:47 PM
    Moderator Post
    I am currently on my phone only for quite a bit, but wish to reply to this now, so excuse the sloppyness. MapleLegends is a team project; we make decision and changes with a team. I guess I never addressed this in my main post, but another assumption people have is that I make a lot of the decisions alone, which is not true. We do everything inside a team. We discuss together, give feedback together, and mention flaws in our ideas together. I've bought up many things within staff that simply didnt happen, because we either didn't agree or there's flaws in the idea. Same goes for other staff members that bring up ideas. We do things as much as possible within a team, which is also sometimes why it takes a good while for something to happen, since we see problems in our ideas or because we feel it can be polished more.

In short, no. Just because this is my thought doean't mean it just happens like that. MapleLegends' project is a team, and will remain a team until the end.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TWW

TWW Pink Teddy

Dec 12, 2020
    Male
    Cleaveland
    4:47 PM
    TheWhiteWolf
    Hero
    Misfits
    thanks for another fun year kimmy FoxLove

3. MrmrMrmrDude

MrmrMrmrDude Mano

Feb 4, 2019
    Female
    10:47 PM
    LunaXXX
    Warrior
    shrooms
    can someone give me a tl;dr

4. TWW

TWW Pink Teddy

Dec 12, 2020
    Male
    Cleaveland
    TheWhiteWolf
    Hero
    Misfits

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    5:47 PM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I believe you act as a team, for sure! Maybe I expressed myself badly, I wanted to say you probably have the final voice, and this whole topic is about your toughts, your point of view after all.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. FatSloth

FatSloth Windraider Retired Staff

Nov 15, 2020
    Male
    3:47 PM
    FatSloth
    Buccaneer
    ImACatMeow
    Discord exploding made me make genuine sad human noises too :/

Personally im all for destroying previously abused areas (see:ghost ship). Just because previous users abused an aspect of the game doesn't mean new users are entitled to do the same. Seeing an issue with the game that can be fixed is always worth fixing imo. #NukeShaolin

Btw I always appreciate your bits on preservation. Im much the same, i currently have a few thousand ML screenshots and its fun to go through the folder a couple times each passing year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AssamMilkTea

AssamMilkTea King Slime

Nov 28, 2020
    Vereinigte Staaten
    Milkerino
    impressive and caring as always Kimber
    thanks for the community, which made my jobless days (late 2020 to early 2021) fun

and boy do i wish i kept all of my screenshots instead of throwing them away every update
    regrets ;-;

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    9:47 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    The server can also restart from zero, as in a "wipe" but the fact stands that right now is not the moment.
    The experience gathered by the devs / mods behind balance changes, features and general game fixes are not enough to get to a point where you would say "this is a good ground for a new MapleLegends" cause they already know that there are still points to fix and to adjust.

I for one am sure a wipe will come, but the wipe will come in years (3+ most likely)... and heck, are you even sure the game will exist in 3 years? Like any online game, you can't predict such long term results, just think of the game as is now and the balances being done, the chance of a wipe happening right now, or in the close future are close-to or near-to 0%

• Like Like x 3
  9. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I'm not hoping ML stays forever, Motto. I might be wrong, but I don't think a wipe can be the solution of our problems. If there are really lot of things to be changed, don't you think new problems will always appear? There will be a lot of balance changes to be made, problems to be solved, always. All games are like this lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    As someone who has played the first private server & actively played private servers for the past 8 years. Its definitely sad to see some servers go, especially when you want more out of them, but I'd be super excited to see what a brand new server would do/how it would be different being backed behind someone with 6+ years running the same private server as well as many more years of knowledge with other related roles/topics.

Within the past 2 years or so you see some of the server owners of the longest lasting/running servers comment on certain features that exist simply because they didn't know what they were doing or express their regrets on adding/fixing certain things. There is this mentality in private servers that some things are just too big to change and because it existed so long it must stay that way for continuity/fairness, which I believe only hurts the future of private severs.

With that being said though its understandable that many people probably have very little interest in private servers as a whole and may only be attached to a single server/their current progress. Unfortunately though expecting reliability is not something that is guaranteed as the lifespan of a server often lie in the hands of a single person to keep everything together. A single person can only take so much & that person is bound to take a mountain of abuse from players, ex players, other PS communities, Neckson, & probably much more. Every server will have its end but the journey and the friends we make along the way is what we will be able to look back on.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Kimmy: stuff has happened stuff will happen stuff might happen

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    This post gave me anxiety, how am I supposed to keep grinding my level 133 mage if you are so uncertain about the future of this server. Just mentioning the possibility of a wipe makes me shake. The reason I picked this server in 2017 and stayed with it was because it was confident and dedicated to preserving nostalgia, and had no power-tripping-ban-happy mods. I support and enjoy many of your updates like job balances, vote changes, events, new mobs, and map changes, but changing the dice roll and infinite snail shells is where I draw the line. why do we need perfect characters anyways?

Why make the early game so easy, its literally broken. Every class's early game is identical now as the optimal play is to just spam snail shells. Snail shells are OP and shouldn't be this good, they do more damage and are more consistent than my pure strength char on the island. Why would I use any other attack to level up? it's so OP. Do you know easy it is to make muels now? This server always promoted itself as being fun, challenging, and nostalgic. Why do some of the most nostalgic and challenging elements of the early game need to change? the reason I dismissed royals was because they had a x3 drop on messos which I thought was 'unnatural' to see snails drop gold coins lol.

As a level 133 mage, these changes don't affect me much, however from reading this post, is clear that this server no longer has nostalgia as its top priority However It makes me wonder where their real priorities are at? Is it money? Are they trying to make the game more accessible for new users so they end up donating? Just a conspiracy theory, but I'm going to say that money is always a motivator and has been the reason why all these old 2000's era games changed for the worse. They are not what we signed up for years ago. Runescape, habbo hotel, club penguin, world of warcraft, pokemon, all changed for the worse over the years in order to get more money. I may be jaded but it is what I have witnessed repeatedly. So fine, take their money I don't care, you deserve it; but I think there are better ways to be more inviting to new players than to change/break the nostalga and the early game meta. Anyways, I still appreciate you Kimmy and your team for the kick ass amazing server you have been operating for all this time.

TLDR; I hope you don't ruin the nostalgic early game any more, snail shells are OP, and let me know if there will %100 be a wipe or not as I don't want to waste my time grinding a mage that will just be deleted. Don't be a sellout, Love you guys and your work xoxo.

• Disagree Disagree x 23
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela

i 1000% agree with anxiety e_e i feel bad all day today

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    2:47 PM
    Paladin
    Hello. I have been with this server since late April 2015. I was the first Paladin to hit 200. I also have a 166 Bishop, a 151 I/L, and a 132 corsair. I think that maybe my words can help your fear and anxiety of a wipe.

I have witnessed and participated in the infamous wipe hype spam of 2016. Like Kimmy said the thought was there the entire time yet the wipe did not happen. What I have done to help with this is just realize, this is an illegal private server, dumbass Neckson could just shut us down at seemingly any moment so why bother caring about a wipe? I think we should focus on the present day with this server. Enjoy this event. Have fun. Grind your mind out. Meet people. I see people saying "oh well all my time and hard work will be gone". I have spent over 6 years here (with 2 "breaks" in between) so I would be getting 1/4 of my life wiped. How do I stay positive even knowing that a wipe may happen? I still have the good memories. I met so many people who have been a huge part of my life and even managed to have an unforgettable meet up. If a wipe does happen, I would look forward to it and keep my head up, this is a chance to meet new people who will definitely flock from NightmareMS or that other stinky server.

Yes, the server has gone through extreme changes. I remember we were told Pink Bean was impossible to implement. APQ wasn't a thing. Horntail was bugged and impossible. Shaolin didn't exist. Petris didn't exist. CWKPQ didn't exist. Cards did not exist. All us old idiots had were Skeles, bigfoot, Zak, Anego and a shit ton of toxicity. The balance and added changes have been amazing. It's easier to play the game now and I love it. I can't say I'm shocked at seeing people complain about a skill that has you throw Snail Shells for 8-10 levels but I guess every patch there's somethin to complain about. Who gives a shit if it's easier for mages to level to 8. Who gives a shit if it's slightly faster for everyone. Everyone already has mules so who cares. Let's just have fun and play and be glad that we have by far the best server.

This comment is prolly all over the place but this is all just from the top of my head.

TLDR: Just play have fun. @Neckson ctm mierde cao ni ma

Thanks
    Xie xie
    Gracias
    Bedankt
    Gamsa

feel free to buddy SwordArt or cammie or DM me on disc cam#3529.

• Friendly x 23
    • Agree x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Useful x 1
  15. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    There is going to be 2 types of people on this thread
    1) End-Game players who are upset because the time and effort they put into progression is at risk due to a potential wipe.
    2) those who aren’t passionate or invested enough in the game who either want a wipe or simply don’t care.

My thoughts: The staff or the “team” kimmy alludes to, needs to find the section of the community they want to invest in. Im of the belief that the end-game community is a MUCH better investment due to the longevity aspect. This is not a knock to the casual player base (who will all probably click disagree) , but they aren’t passionate about playing long term.
    During the coronavirus spike hundreds of players came, and hundreds left.. MOST of the covid players who continued to play legends are those who’ve successfully transitioned into the end-game community. I really do believe the end-game community is what holds these type of things together better and longer because they care and have more to lose. The end-game community may be annoying, harsh, demanding , and even at times unfair. But at the end of the day, in a 2x server , they are the cornerstones of MapleLegends because they always provide a goal post for newcomers.
    Nevertheless, these are just my thoughts and I have no regrets of spending my time MapleLegends as it has provided me the best years of my life. So regardless of what the future has to hold, thank you, and happy new year all.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. ssssss

ssssss Red Snail

Aug 1, 2021
    5:47 AM
    In my opinion,

as you may already know, new people who just starts as first pre-server players still want to feel some "nostalgia". Although it is uncomfortable, but it is also someone's remaining old memory that is the reason why people have been searching private servers.
    yes, i admit pre-bb has such a trash point like hp washing. however, the people who have remained here are someone who have taken this issue (which have not been fixed as bedrock) into consideration to some extent.
    More exactly, most people did not know about this pre-bb problem. Because it was so hard to increase level at long long time ago. Just nostalgia and Just finding private server. So,
    The way i see it, only hp washing is so big problem as to play old game.

BUT, whatever you do, i will play your game and i will trust you. My meaning that i told is just to take some break time. i think that you are the best administrator since all maple server was started.(even neckson is included)

Even if "Legend-Bang" is come, i will play your game as happy man who have felt enough "nostalgia" in this server like now.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. cwong

cwong Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    3:47 PM
    Drebin
    Shadower
    Spirit
    Much love and respect, K!
    I'm grateful for the opportunity to read this article yearly and gain some insight on how you feel. Not just about MapleLegends but how you are doing as a person too!
    I'd say you don't have to be sorry about this year's "end of the year" isn't as positive as the ones in the past. Facing the reality of the state of things is important and difficult to do.

I personally feel that the value I get out of the game are the friends I make and stories I get to witness outside of MapleLegends. My vision for what I wanted out of the server evolved from experiencing the nostalgia of messing up my first character to wanting to get involved with the community within and beyond the scope of MapleLegends. Change is inevitable and something that naturally scares people including myself.

Even though I may have sunk more time than I'd like to admit to get where I am now, I'm not terribly afraid of the idea of "wiping" the server and starting fresh to address some of the fundamental flaws with the server in its current state. If anything it will be like reliving my first experience with MapleLegends. (my first and only experience with a private server)

I appreciate you taking the time to keep this up yearly. It definitely helps the morale of the community even if it isn't a high note to end on. We'll be here for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I don't know why we sometimes split things like this, as if we could only invest on end-game community or on early game community. Why a PQ buff would bother a end game player? Why making bosses great would bother a new player? Attracting new players to the server is bad for someone? Why those changes require an wipe? LOL
    We are all on same boat in the end. The thing is all hardcore players will suffer more because they sold leech/farm'ed for countless hours and they will lose everything. Henehoes don't care about wipe cuz they won't lose anything, but they also have no reason to criticize the server.
    Btw, seriously talking... Who are those ppl complaining about the server right now, do they really have a solid argument? It seems that there are several pessimistic and hopeless views about everything that has been built so far, as if the only way to solve is remaking everything, idk. Maybe I'm just overreacting with all this XD

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Vibin

Vibin Brown Teddy

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Vibin
    Beginner
    If there was ever a wipe it'd be a good idea to ask Royals to wipe and combine communities to preserve Oldschool Maple. I'm sure they're already thinking of wiping with their hacker infested server SlimeXD

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    It´s hard to deal with the possibility of a wipe announcement, after waitting months for a important patch. Doesn't seem logical to me bringing it up on this moment, when everyone's hope was restored. Bossing is not a meme anymore and now we can henehoe sitting on pog chair positions. Ofc we all know server can always be closed at anytime, but that would be a different case than a decision from the staff seeking balance.
    The same way people used to log in to gms and henehoe all day without progressing complaining of not having 2x cupoms, they log in here and complain about hp washing/mage meta. Farming with a regular character is as tedious as with mages. Just look at 3rd job only servers population. Inspite of unbalance that hp wash brings, adding cleave content endgame like a reworked von leon-lhc, could help balance cleavers. Removing hp washing with new defense system would do too. I just dont see why a wipe is being brought up, really. This possibility, in my point of view, should be considered in last case after the implementation of radical changes and seeing how they perform.
    From what i understood, there is no plan to change engine and therefore justify wipe for future new content.
    Furthermore, i don't see additions like monster book hp ring as hacky stuff. It's just a fun and intelligent content to deal with vanila unbalance and this is what is the best thing nowadays from legends: finding innovative and precise ideias that deals with old problems in a creative way. Wipe is amauter servers way to deal with their problems.
    It's underwhelming seeing that pepega comments from players who don't even want to play the game (aka hp wash pessimists and nostalgy knights) are being more relevant for the way you are feeling than the loyalty from the mid/endgame players.
    At last, being a player of Old School Maple since 2008, i thank you for proving the best ms experience i ever had. I hope you can recovery from this bad vibe and really believe you already own the best server out there.

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Great Work x 2
    • Friendly x 1