1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Important The end of 2021.

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Bitty6501

Bitty6501 Red Snail

Dec 3, 2020
    Male
    4:19 AM
    Bitty6501
    Just wanted to say you are doin a great Job Kimmy! although i can't devote nearly as much time as others i appreciate all the time i have spent on this server and will continue to spend on this server because this community is great. I didn't discover private servers and this server until mid pandemic last year but im super happy always logging back in to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    5:19 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Unfortunately, you can't. That, I believe, is the whole crux behind why the idea of a wipe was even mentioned. You fundamentally cannot remove washing from the server as it currently stands without replacing it with another system for characters to inflate their max HP values. Why? Because if you do remove it, then existing, washed characters are at a permanent advantage over any characters that are not, including as-yet-to-be-created characters. Unless you literally manually go through and "reset" every single character's max HP/MP value to the base value and figure out a way to make sure no stat points were lost in this process (a full stat-point reset complete with dropping max HP and MP to base?), it'll leave those characters with a value of HP that is higher than what any new character can do, fundamentally. This bakes in a permanent advantage.

I agree that it's not something that would ever be desired, and that it should be avoided at all costs. The problem, I suppose, is that there are changes that cannot be done because they run into the face of existing characters that would become grossly misbalanced in the face of a change.

Of course, all of this spoken as someone who only played briefly before being pulled away to other things.

3. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    If neckson gave a damn about this server it would have been taken down by now. Arnt you going to be pissed that all your work is gone because the admins say
    "i'm bored lol lets wipe it lol" or "the game is broken lets wipe it"?
    I don't get why people are saying this game is broken, or there problems. What problems? I don't see any problems, this game is at its peak so far and I think a wipe would be completely unnecessary. Just make a second server, and leave my mage alone lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    6:19 AM
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    i’m washed to 15K and have 2.2m nx with 40 points unused (gonna be 65 when i get to 200) to aim 19K when i get to 200 (Late washing method). 1 att for me cost billions of meso so it’s a hard sacrifice holding those points, but i still don’t care if HP wash is removed. Much better than loosing all my levels and gear. Also, i don’t think a wipe is the best option for the health of the server, like i pointed above.
    Personally, my life doesn’t fit anymore with long hours of play and having a place i can enjoy my effort without hardcore playing is my wish, the same as many other endgame players, i believe

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I love a man! You said all,
    back in days in GMS (i play since 2005) i see all kind of unbalance, p2w, select group, etc, ML on days is pretty fine!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    With a defense revamp it's possible to remove the need for HP washing by making it so an unwashed player can fight everything the game throws at them without needing worry about undodgeable OHKOs.

7. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    10:19 AM
    Moderator Post
    Okay, I am home now and available on a keyboard. I was really close to replying on phone, but know it would be a bit of a mess. I understand that you are frustrated, but my thoughts are purely based on what I feel I get the most fun out of the game as of right now and feel after massive lurking on countless servers other could have too.

It's honestly disgusting that you assume I am doing this hobby purely "to make money". I am absolutely insulted by it, and it bothered me quite a bit. People that know me are aware of how harshly I bash people that try to get favours out of me because "they donated" and even on the donation page alone I make it very clear that you don't get benefits out of me by donating.

If I wanted to make money I'll just relaunch under a different name every other month and make massive pay2win servers. Trust me, I would be making way more "than what I do now". I put it in "quotes" because I have never used any of the donation money for personal gain, nor have I planned on doing that. I still have a job, work 5 days a week, and have a fine enough life. The reason why donations even exist at all is that DDoS protection, as well as a good server in general, are unrealistic to pay by myself, even if I wanted to, which is why donations exist. When MapleLegends just launched we didn't even have donations opened for the first couple of months, and even back then we had people constantly asking us to start accepting donations because people like to show appreciation to places they believe provide them good service for free.

Again, all unofficial servers exist as a passion project, and if it wasn't for any of us managing a fan project such as MapleLegends you were now stuck either playing the official GMS or a different game altogether.

You can call me shit, tell me I do a poor job, but never tell me I do this purely to make money. It's extremely insulting.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. INSAINRUSSIA

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    Oof i didnt mean to insult you. I guess i was interpereted wrong, i said it was a conspiracy theory, as to say, i know you are better than that. It was more of a comparison saying that the change of the snail mechanics would be something like how pokemon slaps a mandatory exp share on everything because they want to go ez on new users and love money. That paragraph was essentially a rant and i didnt mean to insult, directly you. I think you didnt take seriously the positive things i said in my comment too. I truly mean when i say you and your team are amazing and i am greatful for this server. I simply wanted to share my honest opinion on these changes, and concerns for the future.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    Please don't read Kimmy's post as a declaration that we're about to shutdown.

It's normal, as a staff member of a seasoned server, to wonder how it would be to start over, what could get changed and what could be improved without the burden of old and sometimes outdated mechanics to (where even possible) overcome.
    It's a reoccurring thought, as in, we get the occasional internal "Hey listen to this idea I had for X!" "That's nice, we could if only we didn't have Y happening anymore", but that doesn't mean we would just one day wake up and decide to wipe the server out of the blue. I mean, we wouldn't have been releasing a massive patch just yesterday if that was our plan, now would we. Trust me it was really tiring.

You read it on this year's topic because of how all the events of this year made us decide to push a bit more on certain features that, years ago, we would have discarded in the name of nostalgia or gmslike. Features that tend to explore that "what if we used a bit more courage".
    Some are mini steps (although admittedly sparked a bigger discussion than we imagined) like Three Snails, some are more innovative and potentially rewarding like the introduced plans to retouch Weapon defense. Some others you haven't even heard of yet.

We have so much stuff planned before even considering a restart.

• Like x 9
    • Great Work x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  10. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    So you won't shutdown, ok. But you plan to wipe after those planned things? :O

• Like Like x 1
  11. farys77

farys77 Orange Mushroom

May 29, 2019
    Female
    farys77
    Cleric
    cornbread
    The wipe seems redundant, the server is finally exciting again, I already have my boss runs for tonight planned whereas before I used to only enjoy cwk. Why not just introduce event rings to give more hp? Like 5k, that'll reduce the need to wash, the event rings only give 150hp so thats not much of a difference.

12. Gino

Gino Brown Teddy

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    GlNO
    Dark Knight
    Sleepywood
    A sever wipe might bring new life to the game but what will happen to our characters will we still have them?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Please refer to Pasta's message, and even mine honestly. While this is my thought, there's still a lot, a lot, and a lot of things to do. Client bug fixes, Emulator fixes, balance changes, etc. MottoMotto's post is probably a good reference to the basic conclusion to all of this: There's still so much to do to even consider any kind of "reset", that there's nothing going on about it as of right now, besides my thoughts.

Even in my main post, I said "Doing it now would be a complete waste of time because there's just still problems in our server" this refers to code, but also a lot of balancing plans for example just not having happened yet, client changes, and so on.

TL;DR: We will be more open to bigger changes and stop less because of "nostalgia" as an argument, and a "reset" won't be coming anytime soon if ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. marioyobro

marioyobro Slime

Nov 9, 2019
    Male
    4:19 AM
    Hero, Assassin
    Beaters
    2021.... the year they stopped us from posting to youtube and streaming twitch. It was fun while we had it. Praying one day we can do these things again. Thanks for your work Kimmy

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Miniskirt

Miniskirt Slime

Nov 15, 2020
    5:19 PM
    Miniskirt
    Corsair
    Perion
    Thank you kimmy and all staffs. :heartbeat: Thank you for your contribution.
    Happy New Year MapleF2

16. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    This is just out of my own curiosity, but in the event a server wipe would to occur, would people who have been banned be allowed to play again?

This question is not really that relevant since pasta concluded a server wipe is not happening in the foreseeable future , and that’s even if it’s considered. But I am curious

17. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    2:19 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Bro, they legit said they're not going to. ppl meme about it all the time. if they wanted to wipe it already, they would've done that in 2019 when Kimmy was saying the same thing. the "thought of a server shutting down" , literally happens every month. I don't know why it's so serious now. The thought is always there, but not like it'll just happen. Staff has done so much hardwork keeping it up for us to enjoy the nostalgic feeling, but eventually shit gets stale and boring. All this new stuff makes it refreshing and people enjoy the new stuff. You're not the only one "wasting your time" if you are trying to progress.
    And no offense to the guy who said "leave my mage alone". Bro, you're literally lvl 133 , there are other people who have invested as much time as you/more time than you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    good. now i can’t have fael assets

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    2:19 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Server-wipe or not, existentially - this should be a reminder to live each day, in game or out, enjoying your time.

Happy new years everyone and hope we have exciting new changes to come in 2022!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. INSAINRUSSIA

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    Well, i speak for us all of us ok. I didn't necessarily follow the guides mmk. I killed myself alot of times just so i would would not overlevel on the magetia pq so i could obtain a horus eye. I speak for anyone who feels like they put a buttload of hours in this game. All i am saying is don't fuck with the snails and dont touch my mage lol.

• Disagree Disagree x 6