1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorting Owl results from lowest to highest

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Porkupine, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    6:15 PM
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    Hello I come to you today with a QoL suggestion for merchants and buyers in the Free Market.

What if the Owl of Minerva results were displayed from lowest to highest?

Crazy idea, I know, but I think it would benefit everyone. There is no reason anyone should need to dig through 20 pages of Red Cravens/Onyx Apples/Helm DEX 60%'s. The lowest prices are the only thing both sellers and buyers are concerned about. Thus, they should be clearly displayed in the first results of the first page.

Pros: Saves time for you and I
    Cons: Easier to undercut? But it's not like it doesn't already happen frequently

What do you think?

• Like Like x 18
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    11:15 PM
    Moderator Post
    In a later version, they introduced a checkbox to sort by price, so this is a thing official Neckson already supported. A checkbox is probably more annoying to add because of client edits, but not sure how right now the results gets told to the user.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Loon

Loon Slime

May 17, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Krypton, Oink
    Interesting, even without a checkbox and just sorting by price by default would be amazing so there wouldn't be a need to scroll back and forth through 10-20 pages for common items. Right now it just seems completely randomized. Maybe it's sorting by recency instead? Unclear.

4. OP
    OP
    Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    Yeah, I don't think a checkbox is necessary. There's no reason any user would prefer complete randomness over sorted results. An investigation into how the results are currently sorted may help in figuring out how to sort by price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Myrosb

Myrosb Brown Teddy

Jun 17, 2020
    Male
    Texas
    5:15 PM
    Spearmintx, Quit
    Dark Knight
    Totally agree with this suggestion! it is rather annoying trying to go through every page and keep track of what is cheapest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    3:15 PM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I’m pretty sure how owl results show currently is by channel, which is still useful when you don’t know where exactly a shop is located (pls label your shop location ppl). Saves me a few extra owls when looking for difficult to find items.

Though a solution that could resolve both issues is to also make owls capable of ccing you as well as teleporting you to the shop

7. cornchips

cornchips Blue Snail

Sep 28, 2021
    5:15 PM
    While using an owl, if you hover over the 'Can't Go' portion of the item listing that is on a different channel, it tells you what channel and FM room the item is being sold in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I’ve been EXPOSED as a noob in 4K OnionCryRun

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Yeongie

Yeongie Blue Snail

Jan 12, 2022
    Male
    Owl by price would be such a nice standard rather than having to tick a box

10. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    10:15 PM
    While I'm favour of this suggestion, but to give a perspective to the other side:
    A randomly sorted owl will put the sellers into a slight advantage as it will provide exposures to sellers that are not selling at the lowest price.
    As some buyers will not want to go through the hassle of searching through all the pages of results before making their purchases, they will simply buy the cheaper ones in the first few pages which may not be the cheapest available.
    Besides, if someone mis-priced something, where is the fun of finding that in the multiple pages of results when it's gonna appear straight in the first page?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    10:15 PM
    One thing I'd add is that when searching for items with varying stats (ie. almost any equip) you don't necessarily want to see the cheapest, because those are probably ones with garbage stats. Ability to sort from high to low would also be nice, but I don't see a way to do that without adding a check box (or something similar). If adding a control to the owl window does turn out to be something that would be feasible, I'd want to push for a few different search options rather than just "sort low to high, yes or no"

12. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Are there people that owl and not buy the lowest price? FoxF6

If I’m owling the only time I wouldn’t buy the lowest price is if I’m looking for multiples and willing to pay a premium to buy from a single guy with a stack.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    I appreciate the alternative perspective. I think there are a few reasons why the view can be flawed though.

Ultimately, this proposed change is targeted at helping buyers make the best decision, while helping sellers price accurately. Randomly sorted Owl results would only help the sales of non-Owling sellers. Overall, it doesn't give sellers in general any advantage, as the buyer had most likely already decided to make a purchase (especially if they were too lazy to scan for the cheapest one). If anything, randomly sorted Owl results might detract buyers from making a purchase after seeing numerous mispriced results on the first page. A sorted system could lead to better pricing and tighter price ranges. Most observably, it immediately conveys to the buyer the best price they can currently expect, leading to more sales overall.

I do agree though that hidden mispriced gems would be immediately swooped up more instantly. It will be far rarer to find items missing a 0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander

The best solution that I've used is to take a video or pictures with my phone off of my Owl Mule account. (most people do this too, not sure why people dont use this method)

Then I use my main account to CC and go to each shop using the picture of shop name + Channel + Room, to buy what I need.

This saves LOTS of Vote Cash.

A Sort-by-Cheapest would be nice to have though...
    • Although sort by Equip Stats/Successfully Scrolled would be better (since cheapest/expensive doesnt mean best for price)

15. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    11:15 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I'm sure most people simply leave the owl results open until they bought all the items they wanted on an another account. No need for any other hassle

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    True lol

I like to make extra sure, in case I accidentally close the owl, or if i want to go back check stuff out later.

17. OP
    OP
    Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    A sort-by-stat would be nice, but the system would have to be sophisticated enough to know what stats it can sort by.
    A price-sorted system should be much easier to implement comparatively.

While it's not perfect, a price-sorted system can still group together similarly stat items, since they'll be in a certain price range.

For example:
    Sad Mask ranges from 9 - 11 accuracy.
    9 acc masks may be 3-4m
    10 acc masks may be 5-6m
    11 acc masks may be 8-10m

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1