1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the hoarding issue been resolved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ovv, Jan 19, 2022.

Is hoarding still a problem?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    4:30 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just curious as to what the community thinks about the past issues of hoarding white scrolls/chaos scrolls. Has the implementation of pog coins changed the way people hoard these end-game items?

Edit: I'm a clown and realize the title of the thread and the question in the poll are contrasting which makes it confusing to answer. Hopefully people are reading the question on the poll itself, otherwise the data is pointless.

2. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    7:30 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Don't think so.

The intention of punishing hoarding was to allow more supply in FM. Certainly there is more supply via coin generation but coins are hoard-able too. If any meaningful increase of supply happened, it would've reflected in the price but as it stands now, ws prices are virtually unchanged.

The good thing is: early to mid-game bossing is more profitable thanks to coin drops.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jeff22222

jeff22222 King Slime

Sep 5, 2020
    Male
    FM
    Irlhermit
    Marksman, Night Lord
    Katsu
    Prices are essentially back to what they were pre patch and honestly hasn't changed much in the fact that all it really takes is for 1-3 people to decide they want to go on a scrolling spree to start hard affecting the demand for coins/scrolls. It is super nice that the coins are being generated at some bosses for sure tho but I feel in the long run, all it might do is somewhat counteract the fact the population is a bit smaller than the past to make up for the gach generation difference. People are definitely all up in nath tho and theres been more HT clearing notifications so the bossing content is somewhat there, still afraid of what might happen after event ends tho.

4. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    2:30 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    I think it's important to keep in mind this change was never about making cs/ws cheaper but to have an alternative way to obtain them besides gach pulls.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. jeff22222

jeff22222 King Slime

Sep 5, 2020
    Male
    FM
    Irlhermit
    Marksman, Night Lord
    Katsu
    Understandable but price is just reflecting the available supply in market, which just feels similarly to pre-patch change. Makes it the same as before but with the bonus of you have the option to grind bosses to make your own which only goes so far, whether or not people are hoarding the feeling hasn't changed which sucks. Just more curious to see what happens after the event raffles/gach goes through and probably better to revisit the question then.

6. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I voted that hoarding is resolved even though people continue to hoard because despite high coin prices, they are reasonably farmable. The drop rates on pouches look very fair from my initial testing and you can actually earn your own WS/CS through consistent bossing.

Sure if we look at the end game, the difficulty of the grind is still the same, but you now have the option to get there bossing on an attacker instead of having mage farming be the only viable option.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    7:30 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    hoarding is imo not solved but
    actual CS/WS users are not 100% under their mercy anymore :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    3M coin when

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    make it 3m. ok lets make it 3m tgt. LF apples to 3m as well. APQ getting disproportionate to amount of time used.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    1:30 PM
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    On that note is it better to buy pouch 5s or just buy coins outright? Has anyone crunched the numbers for that?

11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    well. it really depends. all i see is coin prices rise, then ppl buy pouch to gamble/profit, then so on and so forth. its a cyclical thing and things seem to be inflating faster than pre-patch but at least now everyone has a fair shot at amassing coins thru bossing or mages whatever their choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    I think you have to wait until the end of event to see a more accurate reflection of the coins.
    Now most people are still camping at hhg for their points and especially the unlimited APR this event.

13. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm wondering if the difficulty of the grind will soon get even worse as the flow of supply gets even more throttled as the hoarding issue gets worse and worse. As people have already mentioned, we're in the midst of an event where supply of white scrolls is probably at its highest, player activity is at its highest, and excitement to test out the new bossing drop content is at its peak.

What happens post-event when things slow down, player count drops, and a majority of the white scroll supply is reverted back to its main source of production via gach? Could you see coins jumping in price? What happens if pog coins shoot to 2.5m ea? Does this not send a message to all players - don't sell your coins, hold and squeeze the market?

I love the bossing coin implementation, but I'm wondering if fragmenting ws as a whole and creating a direct 10% supply reduction from the WS/pouch 5 conversion is causing an even bigger supply shortage with idle coins (fragmented white scrolls) locked behind hundreds of characters. Fixing hoarding implies incentivizing the selling and buying of prestigious coins, but IMO, everything seems to be pointing me in the direction of buy everything I can right now while things are cheap and supplies are high.

IMO, the untradeable white scroll into pouch 5 conversion was a one-time "fuck you" to past hoarders, but it did nothing to fix the actual problem of hoarding as an investment over time.

I've said it in the past about white scrolls, but the same applies for pog coins today:
    If it is to be assumed that as time passes, more and more players will reach end-game and increase the demand for end-game items, the best time to buy prestigious coins is now, and the best time to sell prestigious coins is never.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Cashew2

Cashew2 Orange Mushroom

Oct 19, 2020
    Male
    Cashew3
    Night Lord, Corsair
    I won't speak too much on the hoarding front, just personally speaking I'm holding onto the coins I've made thus far from bossing, not really for speculative purposes, just out of pure laziness to set up shop. Whereas in the past, if I somehow got hold of a WS/CS I probably would have used it/sold it for cash, but I doubt the fractions of a WS I'm holding really matter.

On the grindy-ness of creating end game gear, I honestly think the game could use alternative paths to creating end game gear, since the bottleneck seems to be # of WS/coins available in the market, and even with the introduction of coins, it would take an eternity of bossing to gather the ~7k coins for whatever item you're working on.

One thought I had as a WS alternative is the introduction of Pure CSS as boss drops(maybe 1/3/5/10%, 20% might be too broken). At the very least it would serve as a check on WS/coin prices since people could pivot from 10% + WS to raw 10% + 100/33/20/10 Pure CSSs if coin prices got too high. It would also open up some more interesting decision making. Maybe you hit 4/5 or 5/6 30% scrolls, now you have the option of throwing a few Pure CSSs on it to salvage the slot where in the past that weapon would not have been worth WSing and your only options were keep 30ing or just 60/70% to finish.

Sure making it easier to perfect gear would cause some powercreep, but at the end of the day this is a PvE mushroom game and I would choose an environment where everyone is doing big pp damage and the main differentiator of DPM is player skill rather than gear/funding over one where the late game player base has been demotivated by the high barrier of end game to the point where many are logging in less and less.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The only thing about pure CSS is that it would make a couple of items very, very valuable overnight.
    Those 12 attack capes that are +2 or +3 could potentially become 12 attack with additional slots. Same goes for those weapons that were +6'd and sold off as imperfect.

Personally, I don't think bottlenecking into white scrolls/prestige coins is necessarily a bad thing. The implementation of bossing coins alleviate some of the demand on an individual level, but it may be negatively affecting the open market of all white scrolls.

In the past, you could owl white scrolls and you'd usually see about 2-3 pages worth (many of them way over priced).
    upload_2022-1-20_19-7-42.png

Now it seems like the listing for prestigious coins are all over the place. I remember making a post about a more granular system and how the market should eventually adjust by tightening up on the range - like apples. Yet the lowest prestigious coin in the market right now is 2.155m while the highest is set at 2.5m. This large range, couple with the fact that most sellers are only selling a couple at a time, make the total cost of a white scroll very, very confusing.

I'm guessing the market will eventually tighten up, but with the ws/cs market and its volatile nature, it's not being given a chance to stabilize. One person that decides they're done waiting and wants to buy everything up to a x amount will establish a new floor, and we'll eventually see a stepladder trend up and up.

Imagine if one person decides that they're okay with having bought at the discounted price post-patch that it's in now. It would take one person less than 2b to completely wipe the market and set a new hard floor. This is dangerous, imo.

This brings me to the next point - Pouch 5 and its strange ties to a fully generated white scroll:
    upload_2022-1-20_19-16-59.png

This makes even less sense to me. If you assume Pouch 5 is 90 coins (which isn't always the case), the floor value of coins from a pouch is 2.11m each, which is cheaper than the floor value of individual prestigious coins. In addition, the buyer would have to then pay an additional 10m tax to convert the coins into a scroll. The problem is people are risk averse and do not want to gamble for the chance at a fragment of a white scroll.
    In the past, you could buy a white scroll at whatever price. Now, you have to buy coins in the 100s spread throughout tens of stores at various prices - or, gamble your mesos at the chance of 80-100 coins via Pouch 5, and THEN you have to pay an additional 10m to convert them into white scroll to use.

This system seems way too convoluted and fraught with market irrationalities at every step.

tl;dr:
    From what I can see, it seems like the total supply of coins (100 coins= 1 ws) in the current market is lower than pre-patch levels despite prestigious coin/white scroll generation being much more available. Not to mention, the available supply of coins in market should be reflecting that of both white scrolls AND chaos scrolls combined, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    with all these, multi mage strategies will die off since mesos aren't worth much due to inflation. The next strat then is multi pc bossing where u paper weight attack with ur NLs, Archers (sadly u gotta control ur bishop to dispel) and solo zak for that potentially 40coins a day (present-moment value of 82m a day). :D

Having an additional PC pay2win?

17. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I personally believe the pure clean slate scroll to be an incredibly broken mechanic because it lets you regain a slot on an item with no risk. At least with CSS 20% you risk blowing up your item.

For these scrolls to be balanced properly they would need to be several times more expensive than white scrolls because they are straight up superior. You lose your white scroll whether your scroll passes or fails, but you only need to use your pure clean slate scrolls if your scroll fails.

And if they are several times more expensive than white scrolls, the complaint about the end game grind being too difficult would remain unresolved.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    2:30 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Pure slates are incredibly broken for v62. Down the line the only think I think would fit implementing would be innocence scrolls (w/ boom %) but I'm still reluctant on that too.

These newer scrolls have been rolled out to GMS with newly introduced item upgrade systems that slowly made regular scrolling irrelevant. As long as we still only use traditional scrolls (and as of recent, time/rev leveling) I don't think these items would belong on legends.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Cashew2

Cashew2 Orange Mushroom

Oct 19, 2020
    Male
    Cashew3
    Night Lord, Corsair
    Maybe I'm thinking about it too naively, so correct me if I'm wrong. But the way I think about it, if the EV for passing 1 slot on an item is 10 10% scrolls + 10 WS, the equivalent for say a 5% Pure CSS would be 10 10% scrolls + 180 Pure CSSs (since you only have to use it on failed slots, you only have to "reclaim" 9 slots). In that case wouldn't the price of Pure CSS still be relatively lower than WS? Maybe not all the way down to 1/18th of the cost in this example since a premium would be added on for the other use cases mentioned above like imperfect weapons or attack capes/shoes with failed slots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think you might be overvaluating what Pure CSS actually accomplishes.
    White Scroll + 10% should still be favored over raw 10% and Pure CSS 10%, since white scroll + 10 gives you a 10% chance to actually advance your gear with each scroll. Going the raw 10% into Pure CSS 10% route would only give you one 10% chance at advancing your gear with 90% of the times requiring on avg. 10 Pure CSS 10% to recover your slot. 90% of the time, you're spending 10 Pure CSS 10% to reset your weapon slot, not advance it.

Even if White Scrolls and Pure CSS 10% were at the same cost, it would be more reasonable to go with White Scroll + 10% entirely.

Pure CSS is reserved for situations where people are using dark scrolls and have scrolling situations like pass/pass/fail/pass/pass and have a +4/2 slot weapon. However, I think Pure CSS would actually INCREASE the demand for white scrolls over all by making it easier to attain a white scroll worthy project.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1