1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make DrK Zerking More Palatable

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GLauski, Feb 1, 2022.

1. GLauski

GLauski Red Snail

Nov 2, 2020
    Male
    4:08 AM
    Lugia
    Warrior
    As a Dark Knight, CWK runs = 1 hour of staring at my hp bar. I'm sure other DrK's have similar experiences with other bosses.

Possible solutions off top of my head (not exhaustive by any means):
    a) Create optional feature where additional hp bar can be moved/adjusted anywhere on the screen
    b) Improve Pet auto hp to make it work 100% of the time
    c) Increase Zerk HP threshold by X%

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    4:53 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    It gets easier once you max Achilles and you learn when to power crash. But I do hope you’re making a ranged char on the side to switch to once it’s ready. Don’t invest too much into your drk.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    7:08 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    If you like the playstyle of DK but want to live more, just play hero

• Like Like x 5
  4. OP
    OP
    GLauski

GLauski Red Snail

Nov 2, 2020
    Male
    Lugia
    Warrior
    Ty for your feedback guys, much appreciated. Though, not good that additional suggestions are to avoid playing DrK instead of making the class more enjoyable to play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    8:08 PM
    DK sucks with bad network. In many situations, 2 secs lag = death.
    I don't think DK will be changed better because "HB is useful" and "DK is easiest to wash" and even some comments like "you are noob, nothing fault with this class".
    Just play casually and don't mind the difficulties, or choose other classes as well.
    Happy mapling.

6. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Unfortunately that’s how drks work. I once dropped my phone and I stretched to the floor to pick it up and I was dead when I came back up.
    It’s a lot of fun but we do die a lot. Especially lower levels. And by that I mean anywhere below level 190. Kimmy has also said no to making autopot work 100%.

7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    If you aren't staring at your HP and character position while bossing, what are you doing, counting your damage lines?
    Unfortunately that's what end-game bossing is - staring at your character to reposition and to make sure you're not dying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Would be cool if DK could have a tiered zerk - 70% hp -> 1.5x damage, 50% hp 2x damage, 30% hp 2.5x damage, 10% hp 3x damage or something along those lines.

Basically the lower your hp the more damage you should do.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Creative Creative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Yasssssss FoxF2

10. asdsaou

asdsaou Mushmom

Oct 10, 2021
    Male
    asdsaou2
    Corsair
    What if Zerk worked like a reverse hyperbody? Instead of being penalized for having too much hp, zerk would reduce your max hp, and work all the time. This would make it easier to self pot to the right hp, as you can use pot to your new max hp.

I suspect though that this would make zerking too easy and invalid other cleave classes like heros who may not be able to hit as hard as zerking DKs.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    "Hard" classes ought to remain with their challenge while playing, but what should be looked into is the reward for playing those classes in a give and take, rather than simply making things easier. For DK your reward for the modest micromanagement is the skill HB, which for all intents and purposes is a skill that saves people a bit of pot money late game or lets you become a mule in PB. The reward for playing the class decreases the further in play you get, until you finally reach end-game where a DK is functionally useless to most parties or better left muled for most circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ctjh1996

ctjh1996 Slime

Jun 12, 2020
    Male
    7:08 PM
    Coolleb96; Mamypoko
    Beginner, Bishop
    Agree, will entice a lot of players (including me) to play DRK. Also, I have no problem at all with these skilled players doing more damage than me (as a BM) at the peak because of the tremendous peril and skill involved. Hope this is viable from a coding standpoint

13. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    11:08 AM
    I don't know enough about DrKs to have a solid opinion on their balance, but points a and b are both things I'd like to see, regardless. They'd both be general QoL improvements imo, but I suspect the answer will be that it's not feasible to implement either of them.

a)
    I would love to have an HP and MP bar above my character's head at all times, even as classes that aren't DrKs, but I can't even begin to imagine how hard that would be to implement in the client. Even if it would just put the party HP bar there, that might be nice (though I think that updates slowly?).

Completely different game, of course, but SMITE had a feature where you could have your HP and MP displayed where you're more likely to be looking during gameplay:
    upload_2022-2-1_12-16-41.png

b)
    The fact that pet HP is so unreliable leads to me just... not using it outside of my shadower (who needs it for pot usage in DS when charging nate). I imagine this also isn't an easy fix, though.

14. TrueKebab

TrueKebab Pink Teddy

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    12:08 PM
    DancinPig, Jatizso, Neitiznot, HolyPig
    Dragon Knight, Priest, Shadower
    Galaxy
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/maplelegends-skill-changes.39396/
    According to this post Zerk has already been upped from 40% to 55%, so asking for more sounds a bit much imo (and yes I play a DK).

Pet heal works 100% of the time if you leave the character be, as per my personal experience both with an alt in Zakum and my priest in 7f.
    The unreliable part comes from the fact that player button presses and skill casts, and a pet pre-occupied with looting, will overwrite the pets intention to heal, or so I have been told in the past.
    Changing this would mean giving the pet the full prio over player input which is probably not recommended either.

And as for these, you'd hardly be at 30% during later bossing, let alone 10%, so these suggestions sound more like a grinding DPM show-off than anything else (hell my grinding HP alert is at ~15%).

A variant of HP bar above own character would maybe be a viable option, as you could actually see things happening around you while you look at your character, instead of looking down most the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    GLauski

GLauski Red Snail

Nov 2, 2020
    Male
    Lugia
    Warrior
    Yeah I do agree with this. It's probably one of the best course of action since it doesn't interfere with the challenges of a DrK. Some kind of hp indicator that's closer to the character would be nice so you can enjoy the action a bit more!

16. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    7:08 AM
    Trion
    Beginner
    A DK is a very valuable job for first timers on a private server like this, it has a real helpful purpose of making the DK user able to jump into early bossing by using limited NX early on when you have no voting NX built up thanks to HB. Additionally it will always have a place for the 150+ end gamers who refused to wash or just simply didn't have the NX to wash.

Think of a DK as a stepping stone for the purpose of Maple Legends. You should be making your ultimate character in the background while the DK buys you some time (just like a bishop would). If i had to do it over again I would still make a hero as one of my first DPS but not before making a DK first to save on NX. All the reasons I listed make it a plenty fine job on its own without much tweaking (however I know I would be a terrible zerker and kudos to those who do it well).

And yes I realize none of this was about how to make DK better but every job fulfills certain niches and Maple will never be a truly balanced game where every job fills every role perfectly and feels the same there has to be some differences.

17. WohnJick

WohnJick Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    10:08 PM
    WohnJick
    I have a much simpler suggestion:

Make Berserk an active skill with a time duration, when activated all healing/potting will not bring HP above 55%. There is an existing similar mechanic from aura of the beholder, which does not heal above berserk threshold.

Pros:

• Drks can stand with party and get healed. Party also benefits from constant HB
    • Zerking is much more manageable, no need to stare at the HP bar and tap 2-3 different pots to enjoy the same content as other classes
    • You can zerk almost 100% of the time
    Cons:
    • You are now essentially a hero
    • Berserk no longer requires “skills” to play. Brain dead class, make a ranged bro, don’t invest too much into Drk
    • Is cleave damage still in meta?
    • If you don’t die in bosses as a Drk are you really one?

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. asdsaou

asdsaou Mushmom

Oct 10, 2021
    Male
    asdsaou2
    Corsair
    A nice QOL change would be to disable heals from a bishop while zerk is active. This way, the DK can stick with the party for buffs and dispel when there's an active bishop healing.

19. TrueKebab

TrueKebab Pink Teddy

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    12:08 PM
    DancinPig, Jatizso, Neitiznot, HolyPig
    Dragon Knight, Priest, Shadower
    Galaxy
    Making Zerk an active skill would probably be annoying to every DK in existance on the server, suddenly having to remember to 'cast' zerk. And making pots no longer heal over zerk hp sounds too OP, just bring elixirs 50% and be risk free....

I wouldn't go as far as to disable heal completely, but having bish heal cap on Zerk threshold (like aura) would be awesome, but probably too much to ask for hehe.

20. WohnJick

WohnJick Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    10:08 PM
    WohnJick
    Remembering cast zerk is like remembering to cast ACA when it's over for a hero, I don't see it becoming annoying, you rebuff all the time anyways, just add another key for zerk to macro and you're done.