1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Transparency on immediate stoppage of event NPC/maps for future events

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by shck, Jan 31, 2022.

1. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    10:20 PM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    I come bearing bad news, and such is the content of this suggestion.
    Seems like Happyville entry was disabled at 0000HRS sharp aka reset time, and re-enabled shortly after within an hour(?).
    When I look at event notes and it states:
    upload_2022-1-31_10-2-16.png
    I don't expect myself to be able to step foot into Happyville on 31st Jan 2022 at all.

I thought the prompt closure of Happyville was fair considering the cut-off date for event was publicly stated but it appears people still require some sort of official announcement on the actual date/time of termination.

I suggest mentioning when the event actually ends on future Event Notes and stating what will and will no longer be available after stated Date/Time.

E.G.
    Christmas Events will end on: January 31, 2022 00:00:00
    The following event exclusive content will no longer be available:
    -Entry into Happyville via NPC Rooney
    [Characters that logged off in Happyville will automatically be sent to <insert town name>]
    -Collection of Santa's Beginner's Outfits
    -Collection of Spooky Rings from NPC Gaga
    -Collection of Santa's Special Pendant from NPC Cassandra
    -All quests/NPCs in Happyville [Including Christmas Raffle and Christmas Points exchange]
    *Existing Christmas Face and Hair coupons can still be used at their respective NPCs at Orbis and Henesys

Pros:
    -New players(don't "what new players?" me) entering the server between this event and the next will not be confused by being able to use previous event NPCs, but unable to gather points
    -Players have to finish spending most if not all of their points before the cut-off date, which provides more accurate data collected from raffle results(if they're even taken into account), within the event period
    -Saves the trouble of dealing with players complaining after literally every event
    -Last minute farmers actually have to play during the event period

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    10:20 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    It definitely would be nice to know what time the event ends to prevent any confusion on the date. Knowing for sure that Furr Puff would be available after the event ends would have changed what I spent my points on. YA WIN SOME YA LOSE SOME.
    OnionAnnoyed

Screen_Shot_2022-01-28_at_7.24.23_PM.png

3. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    7:20 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I don't get it. Why's it even matter?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Knowing whether the event ends Jan 30th 00:00 or Jan 30th 23:59 would definitely be useful if you haven't finished the event, especially if the NPCs become inaccessible. If someone tells you it ends 00:00 and you find out after the fact it ends 23:59, might feel a bit annoyed. Knowing if the raffle stays or not is definitely a more niche problem for players under 70 that would only really impact a small group of people, & even then would only likely happen once to an individual if at all. Hypothetically lets say I have 500 points and am level 65. If its the last day of the event, well maybe ill buy some nx clothes or some ap resets. Now if the NPC stays around for a month or so, I then have the option to hold my 500 points, level to 70, & then raffle. Very niche issue tho.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. mjk

mjk Master Chronos

Mar 22, 2020
    Male
    MattNL
    Night Lord
    Pasta
    This is a complete non-issue.
    The end date of the event was clearly posted.

Leaving the NPC’s enabled doesn’t hurt anyone
    Seems weird trying to punish people who forget to turn in their event points

6. OP
    OP
    shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    https://maplelegends.com/ranking/all?search=choklitboy
    If NPCs were left enabled until next event, we would be looking at more Choklitboys, except, they have the option of reaching level70 to do Christmas raffles 1month after christmas event

7. Cornwall

Cornwall Chronos

Dec 11, 2020
    Male
    Cornsair
    Corsair
    Pasta
    What are the cons? If you're presenting pros I'd at least expect the cons for it to be a good exercise of critical thinking.

In relation to your concern for future choklitboys, has this happened in the past? I know we don't need to wait for something to happen for it to be prevented in the future but for it to be a concern I'd at least expect any real imminent threat. NPC's have been left around after an event ends for all the time I've been in this server (granted, it isn't long) and I don't think this caused any sort of trouble.

I'll allow myself to respond to your pros:
    1) Instead of "what new players?" I'd say, why limit those who are currently playing for the sanity of those future new players who will be eternally lost by being able to enter Happyville without any purpose at all.
    2) The data could be collected by the time the raffle is closed (next patch, which doesn't necessarily mean next event) and still provide adequate and insightful information for GMs to use, so this measure you propose only changes the date at which the data could be effectively collected.
    3) I don't get this. Is it the players complaining about why the map was closed? I'd say then don't close the map immediately after the event so people don't complain.
    4) Why do last minute farmers deserve any sort of different treatment than others? Why should they be limited enjoy the event content because they only had the opportunity to play/enjoy the event on a last minute? The time of the event is provided for it to be enjoyed fully.

In my opinion, the event content should be available to be enjoyed at all times during the event (this event merely consisted of farming, but lets say JQs and PQs for other events). After this moment, people can adequately organize and decide what to do with the harvest of the event.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. OP
    OP
    shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    The reply on Choklitboy should've been to mjkmjk instead of Alyosha, not sure what happened there.

You are missing the point of this suggestion. The suggestion is literally boxed in red below:
    upload_2022-1-31_13-49-29.png
    Also,
    upload_2022-1-31_13-48-42.png
    The words boxed in green are an example of how an event end notification could be written in quote: future Event Notes.
    -Entry into Happyville via NPC Rooney -> It was disabled at reset time before being re-enabled shortly after, not sure if it's intended, but it happened
    -Collection of Santa's Beginner's Outfits -> Not accessible IF entry into Happyville was prohibited
    -Collection of Spooky Rings from NPC Gaga
    upload_2022-1-31_13-45-54.png
    -Collection of Santa's Special Pendant from NPC Cassandra
    upload_2022-1-31_13-53-20.png
    -All quests/NPCs in Happyville [Including Christmas Raffle and Christmas Points exchange] -> Not accessible IF entry into Happyville was prohibited

The pros stated are with reference to the example post, which shouldn't have been, that's a mistake on my part. I will edit the original post and add a strike-through.
    And yes, I should've included cons.
    Cons:
    -Whoever is in-charge of posting future event notes has to type another chunk of text

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Holp

Holp Master Chronos Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    1:20 AM
    kKayo
    Shadower
    Toot
    At the very least, I think a time should be stated similarly to how maintenances are formatted,
    Date/Time:
    What will be unavailable:

Timed deadlines should give people enough time to prep what they need instead of worrying about when the event will actually end. This goes for both the event itself and raffles/exchanges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    He's so rich by now.. he can bathe in choklit

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 10.48.38 PM.png
    world-chocolate-day-gi-fs-chocolate-fountain.gif

11. Lumina

Lumina Master Chronos

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Night Lord
    BanStrike-1
    “Don’t ‘what new player’ me”

Not knowing redemption npcs tend to get closed at reset and then reopened shortly until next patch makes me think you’re the new player, to be honest.
    —-
    It’s how it has to be coded. There’s an expiration on all the event stuff so unfortunately to stop present points, etc. from happening everything had to deactivate at once and then they go in to reopen town/npcs. Devs can’t sit around waiting for 12:00AM so it makes sense to enact a timer. It’s literally a favor they are doing people each time so people who forget/couldn’t make it to redeem can have another chance to do so.

Understandably your suggestion is just for clarity, but actually what’s the point? Staffs don’t know when the next patch is up so they won’t give an exact date and if you choose to not redeem by a clear “end of the event” date, no matter what happens after, it is on the player. It seems to me some people here are mad they were misled and redeemed early couldn’t take advantage of late npc removal — newsflash, nothing in this server was intentionally designed to be taken advantage of.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    Wait, did u even read the entire thread including replies thus far or properly at all?
    I made this post because "people are mad" when entry to Happyville got closed automatically at reset.
    I also admitted to my mistake and put a strike-through on the Pros section, which should be self-explanatory, but sadly isn't since you took something out of it after I edited the post.

The suggestion is literally: upload_2022-1-31_16-22-10.png
    In simpler English it's:
    Tell us the exact date/time events will be auto-disabled.

Not sure where I mentioned the necessity of upcoming update/patch/maintenance date being confirmed. But I sure hope "new player" opinions matter at least a little :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Narel

Narel Red Snail

Feb 1, 2022
    9:20 AM
    Narelion
    F/P Arch Mage
    Perion
    I like the core suggestion of clarity for how long (or if) the event map will stay open.

What I don't understand is why my boys were brought up. I turned in all of my Choklit tickets on the 30th, tyvm. I didn't count on it being open for one second longer than stated.

14. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    For the sake of my OCD i wouldn't mind having exact end dates though.

15. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I don't see how the existance of Choklitboys is a problem, and also I don't see how people who attempt but fail to abuse Choklitboys is a problem.
    Staff gives a date for you to play during the period, and if you missed out, then being able to redeem stuffs can be considered a grace period. If the grace period is inconsistent, thats on you for deciding to use event facilities outside of event dates.

Maybe am I missing something? Please enlighten

• Agree Agree x 2