1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Has the hoarding issue been resolved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ovv, Jan 19, 2022.

Is hoarding still a problem?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    1:03 AM
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    Are we all doomed?????

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    5:03 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Us in a couple of days:

upload_2022-1-29_2-54-39.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    2:03 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Nope. As mentioned in my last post, coins are mainly meant to make them attainable in other means than gacha.

4. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    8:03 PM
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    pog

5. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    That's what I meant by being more available

6. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    9:03 PM
    halfway
    Thief
    upload_2022-1-29_16-13-56.png
    Hoarding is still a huge problem, now that people can no longer hoard ws/cs effectively, they just resort to hoarding other low supply & high demand items.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Lumina

Lumina Master Chronos

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Night Lord
    BanStrike-1
    Hoarding and merching are two different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    Hoarding/Scalping is a form of merching, only it negatively affects other players. These people hold onto high demand items by buying out the cheapest supply in hopes that the price will go up so they can sell them at a profit. Many people do this with certain skillbooks, gach only scrolls and other items.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    [​IMG]

Seems like the market rate is going up.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    Doesn't surprise me, prestigious coins are a tax free form of currency that will always have value.

11. Kirep

Kirep Mano

Mar 19, 2019
    Male
    Porosk
    wanted to check myself, here's what the owl showed. I still believe this is what i wrote about before though. just people paying for convenience to buy in bulk

Attached Files:

• d.png
      d.png
      File size:
      118.7 KB
      Views:
  12. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yep, but proof of purchases like these only convince more and more people to hoard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    8:03 AM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    coins.gif
    assuming it's averaging out at 2.7m, 100*2.7 + 10m = 280m a white scroll.
    what's more concerning is people are actually buying at these rates(?), has the earning power of the community really reached such a stage?
    despite the many up & coming multi-mage farmers appearing here & there, i'm not convinced we can stabilize at a 280m per ws market.
    hoarding is still an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MELO

MELO Orange Mushroom

Oct 30, 2021
    Male
    MELO
    There are 2 reasons why boss coin is so expensive now.
    The first is that RWT players will buy BOSS COIN through the MESOS that he easily obtained, but they will be banned. This has also caused a lot of BOSS COIN to become very expensive these days.
    The second one is the players who control a lot of CHARS. They can farm boss or mesos to get a lot of mesos in one day. This way they are willing to buy the coin even though it looks expensive.

15. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    2:03 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Hoarding issue < RWT issue

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    Were the pouch drop rates on the lesser bosses nerfed recently tho?

17. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I feel like the prevalence of hoarding has been discussed to its extent, so I'd now like to shift the discussion from the issue of hoarding to perhaps the larger underlying issue in the rate of supply of prestigious coins versus the utility of mesos.

I do not think the act of hoarding itself is necessarily a bad thing - people are naturally inclined to hold onto things they think they will eventually need themselves, and entering a highly volatile market to simply liquidate your assets is highly discouraged due to things like tax and missed potential earnings.

Prestigious coins also have the situational utility of being highly fungible. In a polarized market where we have the extremes of high demand and low supply, prestigious coins are almost perfectly fungible and can be considered a standalone currency/mesos themselves with the built in advantage of being tax avoidant. In today's market, it seems like this utility is intrinsic - prestigious coins seem to always be perfectly fungible. I think this might be a shallow perspective since most, if not all, of what we know of white scroll price fluctuations have come from a lens of scarcity amidst the outpacing growth of demand.

However, in a market where white/chaos scrolls/prestigious coins are abundant, there is a risk people take in holding onto coins since the market price of coins will likely fluctuate. With this uncertainty, I feel like there would be better market interactions with the supply of prestigious coins and a much larger incentive to sell if there were more use-cases for mesos in general.

So how do we create more situations where any player would feel the need to sell their coins for mesos?

There are things that only mesos can buy that prestigious coins cannot (refer to Akash's meso sink thread: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...long-term-economic-effects.24077/#post-299227). A couple of other meso-only options are Free Market purchases and now the 10m required to change coins into ws/cs.

In short, hoarding is merely a by-product of scarcity and is simply a fear-response to the idea that what you currently have will eventually become more difficult to obtain in the future when you might need it. However, if the supply was increased to the point where it could quell this fear, more people would be open to selling their coins on market, thus increasing the available market supply and promoting healthy interactions.

To get to this point, we also need to talk about the actual utility of mesos in our game. A couple of suggestions that could increase the utility of mesos over prestigious coins:
    • Slightly lower the NT coin requirement for crafting, but greatly increase the meso required
    • Increase crafting cost for Reverse/Timeless
    • Increase the cost of ALL %-based potions
    • Lower the meso drop rate for mage ultimates
    Another more controversial idea could be to slightly lower the number of prestigious coins required to make ws/cs but increase the mesos required. This wouldn't affect the rate of supply, but instead it'd adjust the quantity demanded for a specific function, thus easing on the supply required to reach equilibrium.

• Like Like x 3
  18. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    Fixing NLC pot balancing is vital. Make people walk to Omega or Malaysia for the good deals!

19. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    1:03 AM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Could be made untradeable so you can't mule as easy.

20. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    say gubi to nlc pot shops