1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting Mini-Bean Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mard, Feb 15, 2022.

1. mard

mard Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    7:29 AM
    In the last patch, the mini beans were changed such that they have double their previous HP and are now immune to holy. The rationale for these changes are explained in this thread but I believe that these changes should be revisited.

If the goal of these changes were to "promote composition variety", then effectively relegating bishops to shield/res mules by making the mini beans holy immune in fact does the opposite. As it is now, a bishop mule provides pretty much the same value to the expedition as a bishop main, so there is less of a reason to bring an actual bishop main to pink bean.

Now, the aforementioned thread claims that removing Pink Bean holy immunity would make bishops "overtuned" without also making mini beans holy immune, but I disagree. Bishop damage to the bean itself is still mediocre when compared with proper ranged attackers and their damage to statues is comparatively even worse. From what I've observed, current bishops are mostly relegated to spamming mediocre big bang damage to help with the mini beans and dispel (as if the attackers couldn't just ACP themselves to more quickly resume attacking anyways). Reverting the holy immunity change to the mini beans would incentivize groups to actually bring bishop mains as bishops could notably help with clearing the mini beans.

In addition to reverting the mini bean holy immunity changes, mini beans could have their HP increased even further (while removing weapon cancels) such that cleavers could aid the mages/bishops in clearing them. By substantially increasing the mini bean HP and/or the frequency at which they are spawned, there would be a new reason to bring cleavers along, thereby increasing composition variety. As it is currently, there is little reason to bring cleavers to PB given their worse statue/body DPM. By having tankier (more HP) and increased spawn rates of mini beans in exchange for removing the mini beans' weapon cancels, cleavers could potentially serve a purpose as well.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    5:29 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    The changes in particular had the effect of making all bishop mains switch to their mage alts in order to both clear the beans and do significantly more damage to the bean.

There just isn't really much of a reason to bring actual bishops when stuff like this is possible:
    upload_2022-2-15_3-45-29.png

There's very little difference between a bishop main who played their heart out to wash to 6k hp with 1600 TMA and this list of either unwashed, underleveled, skele killing first characters. They both serve the same function, and one of them is even named MustyMatt for Pete's sake. I don't want to live in a world where MustyMatt is as useful as Untrue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    3:29 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    katepurk (real player)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kiaraaa

Kiaraaa Chronos

Apr 5, 2018
    Female
    8:29 PM
    Kiaraaa
    Bishop
    Pasta
    Let us gen the beans again! :pinkbean:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The real solution to the bishop mule problem (and really all the mule problems) is 1 hour pink bean timer, such that you need more active players and less mules to clear the boss. In the current state, an active, geared bishop main does a lot more damage to the pink bean body compared to a bishop HS / res mule.

If mini bean HP is increased, why would I not just add another archmage or two and keep muling bishops?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. OP
    OP
    mard

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    Arch mages will continue to be more effective in terms of damage and that's fine. All I'm proposing is to make it such that bishops can contribute more to the run (and thus feel more rewarding to play/bring), and I'm further suggesting that the mini beans could even have their weapon cancels removed to make cleaving feel better too.

7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I am for the suggested changes (no more holy immunity / cancel removal), but I really do not think these changes will help with bishop main / DK main viability.

The suggestions will not change the fact that it is strictly better to mule bishop over take a bishop main, and strictly better to take a HB mule over DK main in a meta where the goal is to maximize profits. Minibeans is a 6 target cleave situation, and a normal cleave attacker can't really expect to outperform an archmage in this scenario.

8. OP
    OP
    mard

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    I don't disagree with the assessment that a mule bishop/arch mage is a better combo than a bishop main, but I'm really just advocating for an improvement in bishop performance. As you mentioned before, reducing the timer may necessitate taking actual bishops, but that's a discussion that could be had in a separate suggestion/thread.

Regarding your comparison between cleaves and arch mages, an end game cleave hitting 3 targets outperforms an end game mage casting their ultimate on 6 mini beans. Now, this doesn't take into account that the mage ultimate would probably hit pink bean as well but a normal cleave attacker should expect to outperform an archmage in clearing mini beans. Obviously dummy DPM isn't an ideal comparison, but assuming a mage does 3m DPM on a single target using their ultimate while a cleave does 9m on a single target, the comparison would be 27m DPM from the cleave versus 21 DPM from the mage (assuming the 6 mini beans and bean itself, so 3*7 versus 9*3). It's difficult to strictly compare mages and cleaves without empirically testing it out but one should expect cleaves to outperform mages in clearing the mini beans.

9. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    1:29 PM
    I will even suggest for holy weakness on mini-bean just to give an edge for bishop mains, especially with the 606k mini-bean hp now.
    The worry that bishop will do more body dpm than drk is just meh since drk still do much more dpm than bishop during statue.
    But to really bring back bishop's use, I would like to see bishop also chase around to heal sed target like in HT.

Also, cleave is just ineffective in clearing mini-beans since they scatter around randomly and you can't aggro them.
    Realistically, you only get to hit them like 3 hit max before they fly off to no man land.
    I just don't think adjusting mini-bean will ever solve the problem with cleave, they just need a separate solution altogether.

10. OP
    OP
    mard

Jul 20, 2021
    Male
    I haven't used monster magnet at bean ever since the monster magnet incident, but I'd imagine you could/should be able to monster magnet the mini beans. Like you imply, I don't think there's any one solution to helping cleaves at PB, but if the mini-beans were given significantly more HP and they were able to be aggro'd with monster magnet, I could perhaps see a case for cleaves being useful for clearing the mini-beans so the ranged attackers can more quickly resume attacking the bean.

11. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Perhaps the def buff skills from HT or CWK mage could be added to the bean and/or mini beans to give real bishops (and potentially heroes via armor crash) a utility edge over mules.

• Creative Creative x 2
  12. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    8:29 AM
    iPippy
    I'm not too sure it would play out that way. It only takes 1 to do dispelling, and that 1 doesn't even have to be partied. Using one actual controlled bishop for res party management is already handy, to where dispelling isn't any more taxing than it already is.

If seds more both more frequent and actually a threat (nobody really dies to a sed unless it decides to also lock in aggro due to facing mechanics), I could see heal becoming more of a factor... if zombify killing on heal wasn't a thing ofc. On the flipside, such a change could more hinder the classes that don't have the avoid/shifter/mobility/iframe/proximity to body touch to dodge sed casts than help bishops

13. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Yeah, I did arrive at that same conclusion of only 1 real bishop being useful and the others being likely redundant. But ultimately I don't see an alternative way to make real bishops more useful than mules considering that isn't the case in any other content outside of HT. Even if the mini-beans were holy weak, they'd have to see a massive increase in their HP for a real bish to be better than just muling an AM for body.

Only other conceivable thing outside of 1 hour timer would be removing zombify and making seds more of a threat but that's also a mixed bag, like you pointed out.

14. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Most bishop mains already out-dpm most DKs in PB :^)

15. Vystical

Vystical Orange Mushroom

May 31, 2018
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    8:29 AM
    Vystical/Kyrln
    Buccaneer
    Perion
    Please don't mess with the run timer for Pink Bean, all that does is screw over less geared squads that actually has 30 active people attacking in them.

There is certainly a solution somewhere involving introducing mechanics to encourage bishop play and not encourage sweaty min-maxing and gear screening by PB hosts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    8:29 PM
    introduce (more) sed and (more) dispel mechanics to PB . the only reason bsps are still viable in HT are due to these.
    Mages will prolly always better at clearing spawns due to no drawbacks present (i.e. HT mass sed)