1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

In-game Personas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drayen, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Drayen

Drayen Mushmom

Mar 13, 2020
    Male
    coom dungeon
    8:35 AM
    Priest
    I hope it's still somehow related to Maplelegends at the end of this weird post.
    So, has anyone else noticed having another personality while playing?
    Some of you might get serial experiments lain vibes from the topic, and I think the correlation is unavoidable.

I noticed that it was happening to me while I was waiting for Orbis~Ellinia boat to take off.
    One guy came onboard and I immediately though: "I will pretend I'm afk because I'm tired of talking to so many people today"
    Then it came to me: But I rarely engage with people I don't know. Yet somehow that's the thing I like the most online?
    And the more I thought of it, the more apparent the deviation became.

IRL:
    • I rarely initiate conversations
    • I don't talk much about myself since I feel others would only pretend care.
    • I hate small talk and mostly only talk about what I feel is relevant atm.
    • It mostly feels like a bother when people I don't know want to chat
    Game:
    • I rarely not initiate conversations
    • I tell stories of funny stuff that happened to me
    • I hate small talk, but will actively try to pick cues to find some common interests
    • It mostly still feels like a bother when people I don't know want to chat lol, but only because normally I will be the one initiating if I'm feeling like it.
    I feel like, in my case, it has to do with the expectations.
    Legends is a leisure time (for most of us) and an enjoyable environment (for most of us).
    So naturally it's relates more to engaging others in a party, than engaging others in a bus stop.
    In a party, people are more approachable in general because that's the whole point.
    In a bus stop, you are mostly minding your own business and interacting with others is not on your plans, so naturally you will be more draw back and reserved.

Not only that, I am not anything close to charming or outspoken, so there's even more chance I will come off as weird or creepy if I tried to act like that IRL.
    Because of that, I think this game has been a good outlet for me.
    Being to be more relaxed and open about myself around new people got me able to met some cool people throughout the game, so it's definitely something positive and constructive.

Anyone else has noticed these differences?

• Great Work Great Work x 4
  2. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    12:35 AM
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Didn't know about that show until you mentioned it. Now it's on my watch list lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    3:35 AM
    Trion
    Beginner
    Can definitely be a good outlet for some people and get them to come out of their shell. This isn't at all unusual though, people have used MMOs for years to gain more interactivity or involved in social situations they wouldn't otherwise get access to. Whether it is your geographical location or just your overall personality, a server like this is a great way of getting to know more people you wouldn't otherwise have ever met.

• Like Like x 2
  4. thsscapi

thsscapi Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    3:35 PM
    Jizoical, ZackSparrow
    F/P Arch Mage, Corsair
    Lemonade
    The answer is simple (to me at least).

You are more open to conversations and sharing stories in ML simply because everyone on ML already shares a common interest with you.
    You may not have the same playstyle or like the same content, but at the very least, you know they prefer a 2D mushroom game over the hundred of thousands of other MMORPGs online.
    Also, everyone in ML chose ML over official servers. That says a lot about what kind of gamer they are (e.g. loves cosmetics too much to pay for them, prefers slower content as opposed to zoom-zoom-nuke-the-whole-map, etc).

Basically, meeting anyone in ML means the ice is already (partially) broken.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rizzo

Rizzo Red Snail

Mar 30, 2022
    Male
    Texas
    2:35 AM
    TheRizzo
    Bandit
    UndiePatrol
    Nah I’m pretty much laid back all the time. But I can definitely see how gaming can bring out a different side of people because you may have more “power” in this world than the real one. Plus if you die or whatnot you just revive so that’s a plus.