1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Happy 7th birthday MapleLegends!

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:31 AM
    Moderator Post
    Each year it's still hard for me to believe it's been so long. While technically MapleLegends have been in development starting August of 2014, MapleLegends was fully released on April 1st, 2015, making the server's age 7 years old.

This makes MapleLegends now 2 years older than the official pre-big bang GMS was, which lasted from May 2005 until July 2010.

It's still surprising to me how during this time we have never been done with the game, and have anything to do anymore. Each update we are working hard to add more features, make the game better, and try to get around the not-so-good balancing the official servers did.

I think by now you have heard me say over and over how MapleLegends went through different eras and so on, so I'll keep it short(er) this time around.

Thank you as usual for the 7 years long (and still ongoing) time sticking around, and hopefully, we'll be able to push the server further as the years go on, as long things allow us to.

Here's as tradition a small feature we have backported for the next patch, done with client edits.

*Disclaimer: Shown maps are used purely for demonstration and may not be used for future content

Jump portals were introduced in at least version v0.68 (likely v0.67), which allows a character to jump with specified physics to different areas of the map.

Originally, the v0.62 client does not support this at all, making this another feature we have backported back into v0.62 with client edits. Not only have we backported the jump portals, but we also reverse-engineered portals in general, allowing us to play around with them more in the future, such as adding completely customized features with them, similar to adding completely customized quests as we did with this Valentine's Patch, by reverse-engineering the way quests work.

Now if you are a really big nerd you may notice something is off. In the original game upon leaving jump pads, there's supposed to be a small smoke effect coming from your character. While we implemented the jump pad support, we are missing the jump pad effect.

So our next step was to reverse engineer and learn how effects work. After a bit of messing around, here's an updated version:

*Disclaimer: Shown maps are used purely for demonstration and may not be used for future content

Another example...

There we go. Looks exactly like the official game to me! Now, we also have full control over effects, which again allows us to make more custom features in the future.

Do you slowly get the pattern here? Each time we implement new functions we start to have more and more freedom in the client, which allows us to make more custom implementations on top of it. This will continue to go on each patch.

As always all the current client edits are a massive thanks to PastaPasta and the appreciation is never-ending. It's amazing to see how I've seen Pasta start with very basic learning, to very basic client edits, to major edits/features, all while he's not using his main code language that he was familiar with before starting to client edit for MapleLegends. On top of that, he has not even reached the peak yet and is still getting better.

Of course, the rest of the staff is powering MapleLegends as well, and also without them, MapleLegends wouldn't be where it is now. I've seen users nowadays say "Thank you AND staff" as I've requested you should do (instead of thanking just me), and that does make me happy, since Maplelegends is a team, and I am just another person part of that team.

Now to end this thread with something that should make the remainder of people that may not be happy yet after reading this happy:
    [​IMG]
    *Banner as always by SerinSerin

Happy Mapling, Legends!

• Great Work Great Work x 21
    • Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  2. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    4:31 AM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    YES FINALLY MY FAVORITE MAP OBJECT

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    Thank you Kimmy AND staff for the continued support of the server. A huge milestone as far as private servers go to have this kind of staying power. Very impressive!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    4:31 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    I MISSED TRAMPOLINE PORTALS FOR SOME REASON.

Also pls have the moon bunny belt jump quest with the alien ship mount, i loved that event.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FatSloth

FatSloth Windraider Retired Staff

Nov 15, 2020
    Male
    3:31 AM
    FatSloth
    Buccaneer
    ImACatMeow
    Semi-annual reminder that pasta is a wizard, no clue how you do it. Great work guys!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
  7. d3lm

d3lm Selkie Jr.

May 11, 2020
    Male
    3:31 PM
  8. Oolong

Oolong Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    I LOVE YOU AND THE TEAM AND ALL OUR LITTLE MOOPLERS KIMMYYYYYYYY :pinkbean:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    5:31 PM
  10. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Bro i just want a face reveal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    1:31 AM
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    We love you ML staff and Pasta the wizard, just curious will everyone thats in the FM be wearing their "birthday suits?" uwu

• Like Like x 1
  12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
  13. Nickolas

Nickolas Slime

Mar 1, 2022
    Male
    IL
    DMOC
    Cleric
    FUNK
    By playtime I am a new player, but it is evident this is a server I'll be putting time into. Thank you Kimmy & Team for your continued hard work to add more features to legends. Everything looks awesome. I'm always going to vote to support this server, but having 2x makes it even that much better. WOOT! =)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Dadada15

Dadada15 Slime

Jun 7, 2017
    Male
    Taiwan
    4:31 PM
    Mikodan
    Bishop
    TryTryKan
    Ay happy birthday MapleLegends MapleF14

15. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    1:31 AM
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    ML TO THE MOON!!

cxdsreewrr4.JPG

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. Nickolas

Nickolas Slime

Mar 1, 2022
    Male
    IL
    DMOC
    Cleric
    FUNK
    The magnifying glass makes it looks like somebody has a foot fetish for Blue Kimmy :snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy:

17. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    omg panic they're adding the chimney jesters

jk

18. Junaki

Junaki Stone Golem

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Northern New York
    Google, Piks, Arkin, JunakiG, Doss, Nezi
    Hero, Paladin, Dark Knight, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster, Marksman, Night Lord, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Galaxy
    Was the 2x vote an april fool's joke or did you forget to turn it on? XD I didn't get the 2x on any of the accounts I voted on.

19. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    It's not, but not working for some reason. We look into it and refund the people later (all votes are logged).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    This is now fixed and the users that voted between the time got refunded.

• Friendly Friendly x 2