1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Seasonal Rankings, Incentives

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Parasol, Apr 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Parasol

Parasol Blue Snail

Jun 12, 2021
    Female
    6:50 AM
    Priest
    Hiya, I just wanted to list out some ideas I had that I wish ML implemented regarding incentives to play, b.c as of rn, I only log on to do events. I know that's just a me problem though, and most people are probably content. These are just things that I think could be interesting and fun, but aren't serious suggestions since they all have their cons. I also recognize that these aren't things that are easy to implement. Plus, I can see the community being split or in uproar regarding these suggestions. My apologies if this has been suggested before.

- Implementation of seasonal individual and guild-based rankings.
    • Competition is always nice, and it makes for a great incentive to play and work towards a goal, especially if a reward is involved.

Cons: Players may feel uneasy about the competitiveness of these rankings, especially with how relaxing MS is as a game. The reward may cause uproar depending on what it is, since it will feel unobtainable for some players, especially those who do not want to partake in any sort of ranking system. (However, for those who feel like it is unobtainable, having many categories of rankings may make them feel as it is more feasible, even more so if they are non-combat related.) Additionally, the implementation of a seasonal ranking system is not exactly old school or nostalgic.
    Ideas for types of rankings for a season:
    Individual Rankings:
    Total mob kills. (Con: Skewed towards mages.)
    Total boss kills. (Could be separated into several categories such as Total Horntail kills, Total Zakum kills, etc.)
    Total GPQ runs. (The current GPQ leaderboard motivates no one, as achieving top score does nothing, nor is it an easy thing to accomplish, which is why it being a seasonal thing makes the most sense).
    Total Accumulated fame for a season. (Not resetting actual fame each season, just fame posted on rankings).
    Top points for Omok/Match Cards. (Not ideal as a ranking b.c people can funnel themselves points using alts or get fed by friends.)
    Most event points gathered during an event period. (Pro: incentive to continue point farming, which helps those who have trouble finding parties once people buy out event items. Con: burn-out.)
    Most PQs completed during a season. (Also not ideal since some levels are locked out of PQing and some PQs are faster than others. However, separating this category into separate ones like "Most LPQ runs" may combat the latter issue. The main problem with this is that it creates burn-out. Additionally, having too many sub-categories may lessen the importance, need for effort, and motivation to engage when concerning the other categories.
    Top Voters. (Possible con: I feel like some people may feel weird about this ranking, I think, like, that it seems disingenuous or urging people to vote? Personally, I feel that it is good thing though, since our community will benefit and grow from voting.)
    Fastest JQ Time for a season.

Side note: Rankings separated into level ranges may allow for more fairness.

Guild Rankings:
    Pretty much the same as individual rankings, except with the points being guild-based/accumulated as a whole. (Pros: Stronger community, more incentives to be in a guild and to grow it. Cons: Small guilds at a disadvantage, may create a toxic guild vs. guild environment.

I include a lot of cons in hopes that it opens up a conversation to improve a system.

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Creative Creative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    3:50 AM
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Monster Card Collector: whoever collects the most monster book cards(5 max per monster) in a given time frame.

Cons: not really for characters who have already collected a large amount, could be farmed. Also no Islanders would qualify since there just aren't enough monsters there anyways.

Rewards for top 5: Water of Life, Monster Bag x3(or more?), and the mysterious Cape of Cards(no img)

Cape of Cards (One-of-a-Kind) (Untradeable except within account) and maybe (Tradeable after 180 days of ownership):
    Lv requirement: 30
    Class Restrictions: none
    • +200 HP
    • +100 MP
    • 75 wdef
    • 75 mdef
    • +4 all stats
    • +20 speed
    • +20 jump
    • 0 slots*
    *can be scrolled for weather and floor effects(no ice slide and no cold weather damage), if Kimmy ever starts selling those SlimeGrin

Special effect: Monster cards drop at a 5% rate higher than normal. For every card you have of a monster, each time you personally kill the monster, the rate increases by 5%.

Example:
    Snail 0 = +5% drop rate of Snail cards
    Snail 1 = +10% drop rate of Snail cards
    Snail 4 = + 25% drop rate of Snail cards

The challenge would be IP/Account locked, so that other players have a chance per season to obtain the rewards.

The idea is to entice players to work towards an achievement that would make grinding their next card set easier. This would also encourage people to set up on their same account. I think 180 days is a good time to reflect, and I don't think it will be that highly sought after. Letting 5(or more) people win the Cape also keeps it from being too much of a rare item.

3. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    11:50 AM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Nice idea!

As long as the 'reward' has no means of being traded between characters(and being purely cosmetic) i dont see the harm in having one.

Dont have a bloody clue how this would be implemented however.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I like the idea but servers with this kind of system usually turn into leech fests.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Are we not playing on the same server? leeching is rampant here lmao.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    12:50 PM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    A reward idea:
    One man army achievement: Play with as many clients at once as possible.
    Reward: being able to afford WS

• Great Work Great Work x 4
  7. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    To be clear about what I'm saying: other servers have implemented timed or seasonal ranking systems with rewards and it almost always results in groups of established players (or a single player with an army of alts) doing everything to boost one player. For example, another server has weekly ranking for fastest level up and most quests done in a week. Players save up quest materials and then make a new character at the start of the week to maximize as many quest turn-ins/levelups as they can.

8. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Guess that kinda thing is somewhat unavoidable, you know how much people love to sweat up the events, even when perday/perchar/level restrictions surface the answer is to just make more mages.
    Copeium.png

• Agree Agree x 1