1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make All* Mastery Books Untradeable

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by HarleyEllis, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    5:36 AM
    Beginner
    um interesting, but i'd much rather a rework of skillbooks droptable and rates (way lower)

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    5:36 PM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    Yes as long as the're also somewhat redistributed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    10:36 PM
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    I can already imagine someone using the concept of reserving gear this used to happen in World of Warcraft when people would make raids (expeditions/parties in Maplelegend). The raid leader/party leader would make a pick-up group (PUG) and write something like:
    "R>Hellfire Citadel (HFC) Reserving rogue gear and would extremely easily get all the best in slot (BiS) items and maybe also mount. In Maplelegend you would have party leaders reserve mw20 mw30 and >PB chair."
    In a way, I guess it's fine if you accept it go ahead with the RL's rules since everyone knows that the party leader will get that item if it drops, since he wrote and informed everyone, but ppl still get pissed anyway and the concept was also removed later and exchanged with personal loot, which basically gives everyone in the raid a chance to get gear pieces or a mount, instead of rolling for it, without being worried that they will lose their items to RL. I think the current system is fairer.
    Idk if you are familiar with wow, but maybe you get the point..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    What?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    The proposed change would just expand on an existing mechanic that's worked fine in Zak. What do MW (specifically excluded in OP) or chairs have to do with my suggestion?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    2:36 PM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    C5FB811C-C4F5-405E-9E32-61052BC5DFCF.jpeg

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Honestly looking back at this, maybe I do agree with it… I’ll explain why.

Think about the reason why mastery books exist in the first place. Why does this system exist instead of just being able to max out your skills like any other job? I can think of a few reasons:

1. It introduces a barrier for progression for players to strive toward (essentially moot for 90% of books nowadays)
    2. It introduces a new vector for boss profits (also essentially moot, minus a few select books)
    3. It creates an incentive to play different types of content (still somewhat true for some books, such as GPQ and mob exclusive books)
    4. It encourages players to build their skills differently and slow power scaling (again, moot for 90% of mastery books)

In a new server, mastery books play this role fantastically due to lack of supply. However, older servers have most mastery books lose any meaning they once had.

The most obvious solution is the one Harlez here provided: make them all untradable. Sure you could still get service, but that might be a tall ask for multiple skill books in a server where people are also basically forced to play multiple characters. This hurts especially for the most degenerate MapleStory players, multimagers, who are basically guaranteed to have 4-6+ characters in 4th job range. Getting them yourself could be the most realistic solution in these cases, rather than waiting through several boss runs or farming certain mobs for weeks. If we want to preserve the original intent behind the mastery book system, I believe Harl’s suggestion is our best bet.

However, it could be argued that this system is just badly designed or people understandably don’t want to swallow such a bitter pill in an already grindy, luck-based, and punishing game. The real debate to be had here is whether or not we think the mastery book system should exist in its total capacity or not.

Given I lean a bit towards a more purist vision of what MapleStory should be, I can say that yes, I agree that mastery books should be restored to what they once were. I think it could be healthy for players who otherwise would just get their giant power spike and burn out, encouraging them to strive towards a goal for just a bit longer.

Sadly, it looks like people are not even willing to consider the idea. This suggestion is quite a bit on the drastic side, but it’s unfortunate to see it’s really not been given much of a chance.

If you actually read through all this and think yes, I’ve given it some thought and I still hate the old mastery book system, please do me a favor and flame this post with disagrees. But if you think the idea could have merit, I’d ask you slightly curb the disagree bombing and give Harl an agree, at the very least so staff knows the idea hasn’t been entirely rejected by the community.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    He's saying that making Mastery Books would turn just buying the book at your own pace/price, you have to only rely on service queues and the social restrictions behind it.

So basically instead of just being able to afford, being lucky to find, or getting into a good group who already view the item less valuable because it's tradeable--though that could vary based on demand and supply--you would solely have to rely on the party leader's rules, the luck of the drop in that run, as well as anyone who may have claimed it before you, and god forbid someone forget to turn off pet item pickup.

9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    6:36 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I think is a bit frustrating to new players / casuals get all this hard work to get this skill book..

for the old players that have money, maybe will slow a bit the farm?
    i know some peoples that remove elemental amp to get less mp use to farm with more mages, so in my opinions it will afect more the new players that are skill lv dependent than old players.

Btw, for some casual player is even hard keep looged all run to see if drop something (like get 1hour at zak to rng a book).

I know some peoples too that use book drops as source of money (like shadow star/claw 20)

But i dont total disagre u idea, Just need to find a way to "balance", and i dont know how this way can be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Perion
    Players that already have the skills won't have to deal with this, that's the problem. We're approaching this as if everything is reset, yet everyone who already has this doesn't have to put in any of the work. Rather than really curbing multi-mage, hoarding and heavy farming tactics, all it does is give job security to everyone who already has multi-mages, and anyone preparing to multi-mage simply needs to buy the skillbooks well in advance of the update(as it won't be a ninja update).

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    yea i understand, but lemme give a exemple:
    imagine you need "n tma" to 1 hit a mob, and the old mages already have it.

who begin without a gear will need the skill lv 20 or 30, and the multimage ones will dont need since they already have the tma needed...
    understand?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    ok you will be the one to tell our casual unwashed base to skip tt30/snipe/etc unless you wash enough to survive ht

13. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Perion
    Oh I agree with you, I just think it won't really slow the farm down, if at all. People who are already there won't have to worry about competition taking their maps when they leave because it won't be as viable for anyone after the hypothetical change to try it until they're a much higher level.

Yeah it stops the influx of future multi-client mages, which are seen as a potential problem, but this change would benefit the current group of multi-client mages since they wouldn't actually be affected by book drops becoming untradeable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    5:36 AM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    if we really wanna do something with mastery books, i think-
    [Mastery Book 20] Bowman green.png
    [Mastery Book 20] Warrior red.png
    [Mastery Book 20] Magician blue.png
    [Mastery Book 20] Thief brown.png
    [Mastery Book 20] Pirate purple.png

those pixels are kinda badly re-colored but yea...

• Like Like x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    I'll gladly tell them and then do it myself too

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    bumping especially since lv1crook went into a lot of detail explaining my suggestion^

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm all for implementing content that would force people to do suboptimal things.
    Forcing people to go onto enough Horntail runs in order to finish their skillsets is a good thing.
    This would make things like 12-18 man runs more common and could possibly reignite guild or friend-oriented bossing in order to get someone their skillbook (and pass). Right now, Horntailing only really exists to farm and gain exp from. Having skillbooks become untradeable would require players to run expeditions in order to reach their next power spike, which would open up more opportunities for things like friendly runs.

Bossing economy in relation to skillbook pricing is shit anyways and has already been proven to be a failed system.

• Agree Agree x 3