1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A small tweak for Final Attack to make it viable

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hido, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Hido

Hido Red Snail

Apr 1, 2022
    Male
    3:25 PM
    Hido
    Warrior
    Unfortunately, Final Attack at its current state is a consensually bad skill, which new players are warned from putting points at. The main reason being that Final Attack triggers itself after Slash Blast, which causes the damage of the extra attack to split among the originally hit mobs, and thus, lowers the overall DPS over time.

To me, the fact that we can't utilize this skill, which was probably an intended key combat mechanic for warriors in their 2nd and 3rd job, is quite a bummer. Considering how almost every other class has unique and fun attacking skills for their second job, while none of the three types of warriors have anything to really look up to, I think Final Attack deserves some kind of a second look.

And my way of taking care of it is, in my eyes at least, should be incredibly simple - just disable it from triggering after Slash Blast! That would be a perfect setting - as I think the skill as it is now compliments Power Strike quite well, so we only need to prevent it from interfering with mobbing, and that small tweak should do.

I can actually think of a couple more variations of fixes, but the one I have proposed above seems to be technically/programmatically simple to me, so I see no reason of not implementing it.

Would love to hear some feedback, or maybe other proposals. Thank you for your time~

• Like Like x 2
  2. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    6:25 AM
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    I think Final Attack would be great as a "power up your next attack" attack.

Not sure how much would be appropriate but I could see its utility in leveling. It would just consume a small portion of your HP and MP, maybe %, to set your next skill up to do X or % more damage.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    A direct fix would be better, to mitigate the loss of dps, instead of changing the skill it uses to proc.

This is since the skill is supposed to help improve the cleave skill.

Also, it’d be easier to code by appropriately scaling final attacks’ percentages to fix the issue of dps loss, rather than to adding more problems by changing how the skill combos with other skills.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ooShawnyoo

ooShawnyoo Dark Stone Golem

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    9:25 AM
    Frenzied
    Make Final Attack be a buff with a time duration so you can choose whether you want it to be activated or not. And then also fix the damage so that when it does activate, it does more damage than Power Blast or Slash Blast depending on which skill you use. And maybe reduce the time your character stays in place while using the skill so you can start moving again more quickly. Of course, you want to make sure the damage is not as great as 3rd job skills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    2:25 PM
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. jc123

jc123 Brown Teddy

Jun 21, 2020
    jc43
    Warrior
    Is it possible to proc FA without the animation and just rebalance the numbers?

8. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    9:25 AM
    Trion
    Beginner
    If you want to make it REALLy easy on staff just make final "attack" a passive skill that increases damage by certain amount.

9. OP
    OP
    Hido

Hido Red Snail

Apr 1, 2022
    Male
    3:25 PM
    Hido
    Warrior
    Yeah that sounds ideal, though I worry that would make warriors' mobbing too OP.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    Maybe... Maybe not? Can someone with a strong warrior chime in on the mobbing issue?

I do understand that warriors will never be as good as mages in the amount of mobs killed per skill proc for mobbing. Also after a certain level + strong equips, warriors can mob relatively well anyways.

The number of mobs hit per attack is still limited to be less than mages' ults by a huge margin, even if warriors could 1h=1kill.

A consideration could most likely be for bosses that allow cleave damage of multiple parts, and how much dps is too much.
    • so IF the staff decides to adjust the percentages of Final Attack, they'd have to make sure to balance it enough for both mobs and bosses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Considering KS wars are not allowed, I don't see why mobbing being even slightly OP would be an issue.

The only class that gets decent mobbing early is DK st 3rd job(Dragon Fury and Dragon Roar, to a much lesser extent Spear Crusher). The rest are at 4th and idek if Heroes get decent mobbing skills.

Warriors are already treated as useless in end game extreme groups, because they just don't hold a dime to other classes. I'm not saying the damage they deal should be comparable, but fixing Final Attack isn't going to suddenly spike their DPM to the extreme.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    8:25 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    A lot of this is moot because iirc Final Attack doesn't trigger on anything but a few skills (it doesn't ever activate on Crusher or Fury for DrK, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't trigger for any of Brandish, Blast, [Advanced] Charge Blow, Heaven's Hammer, or Dragon Roar, and I think I've read that it does trigger on Panic/Coma, but those are finishers that require re-establishing your orbs anyway). It's definitely more relevant to Crusaders and White Knights since they're the ones using Power Strike and Slash Blast even in 3rd job, though the idea is you already gain good damage modifiers through Combo and Element Charges anyway. I don't think Warrior damage is that bad in 3rd job either to justify full damage buffs to FA or changing how the mob damage spread works (between new attack skills for DK and very good damage modifiers for the other two): it's pretty much a 2nd job argument, and only really for the latter half of 2nd job at that since you won't be "maxing" Final Attack 1st before your Weapon Mastery and some Booster. Even if you max it 2nd, you're maxing it close to Level 50.

Just make the skill a toggle, so you can choose to have it active or not depending on situation (such as PQ boss fights at that level range). Fighter and Page have so many leftover SP to begin with anyway since Warrior 2nd job is filled with so much surplus SP (it's different for DrK, who basically outgrow Final Attack after 2nd job anyway instead of using Power Strike/Slash Blast throughout 3rd job, especially if they go Hybrid which means they already spend 113 of their 121 2nd job SP maxing both sets of Mastery and Booster with HB). It could also serve as a way to introduce passive buffs to Axe and BW if you incentivized maxing Final Attack for those (if not through balance changes of giving more Mastery or adjusting the Swing/Stab multipliers on those weapons to increase their consistency).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Instead of locking you into a 2nd final attack animation it should proc instantly on whatever skill you do, replacing the animation with the FA animation. The damage on AOE final attacks should be changed so that it isn't a DPS loss.

• Like Like x 2