1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Heros use Panic/Coma?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by twing1, Apr 19, 2022.

1. twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    9:19 PM
    twing1
    Beginner
    Hey all!

I'm twing1, and I'm new to the maplelegends server. I used to play GMS consistently back in 2008-2011 or so, and am just now getting back into it on legends. On GMS I had a DK and a Shadower, but figured I would go for something new this time around, so I chose Hero. Currently I'm sitting as a level 44 Fighter and I'm still trying to craft my own build. I have interest in running the 1h sword and shield route, even though I've heard 2h is the way to min/max DPM.

I came across Damon's (Grizzly's?) "Comprehensive Hero Guide" on the forums, and have taken a lot of inspiration from it and have so far been committed to following it. Looking at the date (2015) and some of the comments, however, I fear it may be a bit outdated, and have a few questions for any modern heros that may be out there.

Two skills I have the most questions about are Panic and Coma, as I have no personal experience using either of these because I've never had a 3rd job hero before. Just by reading the descriptions, however, I am concerned about the amount of usage I will actually get out of them. Any skill that "consumes combo stacks" is concerning to me, for as I understand it I would mainly want to keep my combo stacks at maximum to maximize damage output.

My specific questions regarding these skills are as follows:

1. Do Heros in realistic scenarios ever use these skills?

2. If they are ever used, does it dramatically affect leveling efficiency for levels 70-120 before brandish becomes available?

3. Are they ever fully replaced by brandish or any other 4th job skills, or do niche uses for either Panic/Coma remain all the way up through end game?

The reason I have these questions is because I am strongly considering skipping both of these skills altogether and maxing anything/everything else, regardless of how "useless" or niche things like shield mastery (which only grants def) and armor crash (redundant in group content where a bishop is available) or even improving mp recovery may be, if for no other reason than aiding in pot efficiency or helping remove enemy buffs in solo play.

If these skills don't dramatically increase leveling efficiency between levels 70-120 and also have no niche use after brandish is available at 120, I see no use in leveling them up. I would much rather put those 60 skill points into something that doesn't become rendered useless after 4th job skills become available, and would rather commit to other things that I would retain into 4th job (like shield mastery and mp recovery), regardless of how negligible the impact would be.

I apologize if I'm missing something painfully obvious and my inexperience is blatantly showing, but hopefully someone with expertise in the area can help clear this up for me.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    4:19 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Welcome to the server! although i have nothing substantial to add to answer your question, i just wanted to say that yes, quite a handful of guides are currently outdated and the classes that aren't are typically so because they are more relevant to the meta of this server.

Regardless, don't let that tarnish your experience as this is YOUR story. Have fun, and i hope you enjoy your time here!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    As someone who skipped maxing coma/panic because I leeched my hero past third job entirely - and then later spent a ton of NX to reset it back, I'd suggest going with a regular build. They buffed panic last year and there may be more changes coming for Heroes in the next few patches. People have been speculating a long overdue Hero rework.

With that said, both Panic and Coma got a huge buff from its original numbers, so I wouldn't skip out on these since it seems like this will be the crux of any future changes. They're useful in 3rd job grinding and have niche uses in 4th job. Personally, I went Max Combo, Panic, Coma, and Armor Crash and put 20 into Shout, which I will max out late in 4th job.

Improving MP recovery is a somewhat niche play that can potentially save you during mass seduce, but with the current Horntail meta you aren't going to be running into mass seduce often enough to make use of it.

Armor Crash is pretty great in situations where Bishops die/dc, and they can have niche uses in things like Dunas. There have been a handful of Horntail runs where this occurred and our Heroes were meme'd on for not having Armor Crash leveled up at all.

Unless there is a huge overhaul in how defense works, Shield Mastery is completely skippable.

• Like Like x 4
  4. asdsaou

asdsaou Mushmom

Oct 10, 2021
    Male
    asdsaou2
    Corsair
    Panic is nice damage boost for 3rd job, but pretty much useless for 4th job. During 3rd job, when you're mobbing and thinned out the crowd (say at himes), sometimes a full hp mob walks by. Normally, you'd hit it with a power strike or slash blast and start luring a crowd again so you can mob. However, you can pretty much 1-shot it with panic, then start luring again to gather a crowd, giving you maybe a 10-20% exp boost per hour. It makes a difference, but it's not significant.

I mainly use panic when my combo is running out at single-target bosses. Thus, every 200 seconds, I'd hit 100k, rather than 50k with a brandish (25k x 2). Most of the time, I don't bother anymore and just re-cast combo. 50k extra damage every ~3min doesn't really do much when you hit 3m dpm per mob (0.55% damage boost). If I'm doing cleave, like at cwkpq, it's better to just recast to build a faster combo for brandish. If you plan to rav with your guild before you get a high level brandish, it's also useful for that early 4th job bossing.

Coma isn't really useful as there are few mobs you want to stun, and don't outright want to kill with Panic. Coma doesn't work on bosses due to their stun resistance, so it's never really used in 4th job.

Neither of them fully refresh your combo buff, so you'll have to re-cast combo anyways every ~200s.

In conclusion, Coma = poop. Panic = marginally beneficial in 3rd job and poop in 4th job.

• Like Like x 4
  5. OP
    OP
    twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    Thanks for the warm welcome! ^_^

So far I've been having a blast!

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    Thanks for the feedback! Its nice to hear about a case where someone regrets neither leveling up panic nor coma.

I have to ask though, how often do you use each of these skills now that you have them leveled, and are past 3rd job?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    Thanks for the response!

I like how you added real tangible numbers to your post, it really helps me to understand exactly how beneficial these skills are. Are these numbers up to date, or has it been a while since you've tested on your hero?

I only ask because a previous comment mentioned how panic and coma were both buffed, maybe recently?

If the numbers you provided are recent (post buff), I would find it hard to justify putting 30 points into a skill just for a 2x damage hit once every 200 seconds.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. asdsaou

asdsaou Mushmom

Oct 10, 2021
    Male
    asdsaou2
    Corsair
    Yup, these numbers are up to date.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There are a couple of other situations where Panic gets used like if you are trying to gain priority aggro of a mob so that you can rush it. Personally, I'd skip out on Coma over Panic since Panic tends to have more use cases overall. Those 30 points can get divvied up into Shout, MP Recovery, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    1:19 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    its not totally useless, can help some dmp/eph

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. thsscapi

thsscapi Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    12:19 PM
    Jizoical, ZackSparrow
    F/P Arch Mage, Corsair
    Lemonade
    I don't have a Hero, but would just like to add my 2 cents in case it's helpful:

If you have spare NX (which you should have more of compared to other classes), you can consider leveling Panic/Coma anyway and resetting them later on.
    This is especially useful if you're going to take time to level instead of rushing via leech, so you'll get a lot more use out of the skills.
    In this case, you can also test out how often you actually use the skills yourself and decide again later in 4th job, whether you want to reset them or not.

Really, this applies to all classes, but especially so for Heroes and Paladins because they only need minimal washing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Aesop

Aesop Orange Mushroom Retired Staff

Jul 8, 2020
    Female
    7:19 AM
    Aesop
    Hero
    1. Do Heros in realistic scenarios ever use these skills(Panic, Coma)?
    When I hit 3rd job I used Coma to grind alot as I didn't have many SPs in my baby Combo at the time and it helped me out quite a bit. (I'd charge 1-2 Orbs and use Coma)

Past 4th - I only use it when my Adv Combo is about to expire, I'll use Panic when facing a single target and Coma when facing multiple mobs.
    It is overall pretty niche and you don't have to max Coma unless you want to. (& can reset it past 3rd job)

Shout comes in handy during Jiaocheng/Some Neo Tokyo bosses runs when it spawns mobs, stunning them helps everyone out

MP Recovery will allow you to pop Hero's Will every once in a while when you're sedded - which I found really useful esp. in HT.

2. If they are ever used, does it dramatically affect leveling efficiency for levels 70-120 before brandish becomes available?
    Yes, if you plan to grind your way up.

3. Are they ever fully replaced by brandish or any other 4th job skills, or do niche uses for either Panic/Coma remain all the way up through end game?
    I personally use them whenever I can past 4th, I know most people don't bother with it.

One thing that isn't really addressed in Grizz's guide is
    Enrage - I highly recommend maxing it when you can - the 5 att boost is great to have and it was changed to be non-dispellable which makes it even better when bossing.

Welcome to the server! I hope you have lotsa fun here :catmouth:

• Like Like x 2
  13. iccqqq

iccqqq Dark Stone Golem

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    7:19 AM
    Hero
    i am the best hero on the server atm.
    with that being said yes pro heroes such as myself do use panic on bosses right before combo attack runs out.
    when you have enrage maxed for max efficiency you will use combo attack>enrage right away>when combo attack starts to fade use panic
    and coma is good for earlier level grinding, very good at CDs.

• Friendly x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    My personal experience is:
    with max Combo Attack and Coma, you get very slightly higher damage using coma + slash blast as opposed to just using slash blast.
    for me, this difference is very minor, i ended up not using coma.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    Okay, thanks for the replies everyone!

Through your expertise, I think I have enough knowledge now to know what I am after.

I think I will end up maxing Panic, but will forego Coma as it seems for the most part to provide a very negligible efficiency boost to leveling between 70-120, and then does not provide much after 4th job.

That being taken into account, this is what my future plans are for my figher:

level 70-80 max combo attack + 1 point on shout because it seems fun to play around with, or maybe 1 on armor crash if it would help me
    level 81-90 max panic
    level 91-97 max armor crash
    level 98-104 max shield mastery
    level 105-113 max shout
    level 113-120 max mp recovery

Thank you all so much for contributing! I now feel much more confident in the direction of my character, and am more excited than ever to grind it out to 4th job ^_^

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    arrhhh shut up man u use axe

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Pally is probably a better choice if we are going by meta, but i personally disagree with drk, unless you are fine with zerking.

HB may get u more runs but imo Heroes despite the votes, still gets to participate every bosses. The only ones heroes gets left out are the super sweaty runs, such as 6-10 man PB and 15 man PB.

18. OP
    OP
    twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner
    On this note, is there any significant advantage to using one or the other, swords or axes?

Is there any resource where damage formulas for each weapon type can be found, swords, axes, 1h, and 2h all included?

I'm pretty committed to swords at this point, but I am curious to see which weapons would technically be considered BiS.

19. lord kniizer

lord kniizer Slime

Mar 21, 2020
    I/L Arch Mage
    Feijoada
    Swords are just better, have some posts in forum talking about dmg range and stuff like dat, just look for it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1