1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Not so AFK Hurricane

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Paxill, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Paxill

Paxill Mushmom

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    7:02 AM
    JoeWick
    Bishop, Bowmaster, Corsair
    The general consensus among BM players and top end players is that the removal of AFK Hurricane has hurt their position as a top tier class. Staff has determined AFK Hurricane to be an abusable strategy and does not want it in the game. Is there any way we can find a happy medium between these two camps?

In the current state of ML, Hurricane cannot be used in a macro; which makes sense since it is a skill meant to be held down. Other attacking classes will macro 3x of their main attacking skill in order to either chat in game, multiclient with another character, or take the opportunity to take their hands off the keyboard for a moment. BM currently does not have this luxury without external means. For example, let's say it takes you 30 minutes to kill the pirate boss in cwkpq; that's about 28 minutes of holding down Hurricane. Any release to stretch your hand or chat will likely get you or your party dispelled. As this can be both annoying to you and your fellow ranged attackers, BMs will generally be silent during cwk and rarely bring mules.

With the above presented, my proposal is to slightly recode Hurricane such that it can be used in a macro and have the macro command for Hurricane be "Press and hold Hurricane for 1 second." The goal of this change is to disuade the current meta trend towards "foot pedal bms" or players secretly abusing unintentional methods of starting AFK Hurricane. Hopefully this is possible to code in this version of Maple.

TL;DR Make Hurricane able to be used in a macro. Hurricane in a macro acts as "Press and hold Hurricane for 1 second"

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    8:02 PM
    Macro 3rd job 4x arrow with se only lost 31% dpm than hurricane without si.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    1:02 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Remove the possibility of using the same skill more than once in a macro and it's much more fair already.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. OP
    OP
    Paxill

Paxill Mushmom

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    JoeWick
    Not sure what the goal of this comment is other than to really showcase how poor BM's alternative is. 31% loss means that a bm does nearly 50% more damage using Hurricane when compared to strafe. Suggestion stands.
    This is a fair point, but this would generally lower the quality of life of playing a mostly social game. Also why hurt the quality of life of 11 classes when you could adjust 1?

• Like Like x 1
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    4:02 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There is no reason BMs should not also get 5 line strafe. It's a lateral move that gives them similar multiclientability as MMs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    1:02 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    If it decreases the gap between single client and multi client efficiency it's a change for the better in my eyes, and losing some dpm because you're typing isn't the end of the world. If it is you should probably be in vc anyway.

I sympathise with you trying to keep up with the foot pedal and possibly cheaters as you said in OP but more multiclienting doesn't seem like the path to take..

7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    4:02 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    My main gripe is that alt tab hurricane and shadow stars were pre-established 'bugs' that would eventually get fixed. Their fixes came in the same patch, and Night Lords were compensated with a Shadow Star buff while Bowmasters got nothing. Feelsbadman

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Paxill

Paxill Mushmom

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    JoeWick
    Definitely a valid perspective to take on the subject. Unfortunately mechanical or illicit alternatives will become the norm if staff does not give in-client options. Ex. Staff implementing multiclienting restrictions in boss rooms led to players with access to multiple computers gaining an advantage.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    5:02 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    This would be nice for the purpose of client swapping during bossing if it could be implemented, but I am highly skeptical staff had the dev talent and the willingness to invest time into coding it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    12:02 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    As a main BM I never felt this was an issue, but I don't multiclient or even want to. I believe this is mostly an issue to people who intend to multiclient, or that really have the need to be able to chat as much as if they were hunting for snails of afking at FM.

Also, regarding CWKPQ, you could use puppet to:
    1. Minimize long pressing streaks (as it will require you to place it every 60 seconds);
    2. Not fall asleep out of boredom;
    3. Help the mage-attacker (and you) not getting constantly hit with Pirate attacks.
    You could also bind Huricane to SHIFT key which, IIRC all keyboard layouts have one at the left and another at the right side, so both left and right hand could be used intermittently whenever you feel like you need to stretch out your hand.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    7:02 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Out of all content, you said BM need a better life in CWK LOL.

You have the luxury of not having to bring any mules into CWK to reach your full potiential, no one wants to bring mules if they can.
    Hamstring hamstring hamstring. Good enough BM can even handle both pirate and mage boss together in a pinch if a DC happens. The boss rarely gets to your face if you hamstring properly

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Paxill

Paxill Mushmom

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    JoeWick
    I love cherry picked arguments like this. If you think the purpose of mentioning CWK in this post was to complain about how "difficult bm is in cwk" please check your reading level and refrain from replying further.

For those of you who do need further help understanding the post; the point of a 3 second Hurricane macro is meant to create equity in class balance (giving all classes the opportunity to use their strongest attacking skill for a brief moment without holding a button) and reduce the trend towards mechanical (foot pedal/2nd computer) or illicit (client modification / external program) tools to create a similar effect to the original AFK Hurricane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    7:02 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Yes. I do like to pick out the wrong evidence in your argument.
    And I have no comments on all your suggestion other than pointing out that BM actually has the most luxury as a range attacker in cwk.
    Please use a better example next time.

14. OP
    OP
    Paxill

Paxill Mushmom

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    JoeWick
    Thank you for providing a complete lack of constructive criticism on this forum topic.

Just an FYI, not being able to provide mules to the rest of your party is a disservice to party composition in CWK. As BM, if I have access to a bishop and an SI mule, but can't functionally utilize them for my party to the same degree as other classes then I am at a disadvantage. In addition, in 3-5 man cwk compositions, mules are a necessity.

I'll agree with you that solo clienting bowmaster is easy mode for cwk when compared to MM. That is not the topic of this forum post. Therefore, unless you have actual input regarding the suggestion presented here, please do not reply.