1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with Maplestory burnout?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by ooShawnyoo, Apr 26, 2022.

1. ooShawnyoo

ooShawnyoo Dark Stone Golem

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    4:29 AM
    Frenzied
    Hey all, hope you are all doing well.

As the title says, I am wondering how you guys overcome that feeling when you are just burnt out of the game.

I have played Maple on and off a lot throughout my life, and I got far on so many characters over the past 15 years, both on official and unofficial servers.

Now I am 29 years old, and I have really enjoyed my time so far on MapleLegends, I started around last August, took a break during winter and came back in March. I only got to level 60 on my Bandit, and 52 on my Spearman, but I feel like I am just not motivated to play anymore. When I get on, I just stand in FM and semi-afk the whole time. I got tons of nx on two seperate accounts since I was planning on HP washing on future characters, but it feels like I just can't get motivated to play as much or as hard as I used to, and I get burnt out quicker than in the past.

This may just be because I have moved on to other things in life, but I am curious to hear if you guys ever feel the same sometimes, and if you got tips to keep being motivated. Taking breaks of course helps but you don't get far and your friends just get so far ahead by the time you come back.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
    FoxAwk

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    1:29 AM
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    Congrats on lvl60 and lv52 !!

Whenever I feel like burning out, I switch over to playing on Maple Island/Training Camp/Oddjobs.

https://oddjobs.codeberg.page/odd-jobs.html

Oddjobs are different ways to play with character stats/skills.

Otherwise, I exercise 30min to 1hour.

I usually play 30min to 1hour daily, or 2hours if I have more time, unless my life is too busy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    ooShawnyoo

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    Thanks SlimeSweat2 These are very low level characters for someone like me, which is why I feel so bad about already being burnt out.

As for the oddjobs that's an interesting idea. And the exercising part I have been doing that but maybe I should get on only when I really want to. Hard to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    There’s a thread with lots of active players for oddjobs:

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/odd-jobs-community-thread.36495/

Personally, I only play when I want to, or I do something else irl instead, and skip playing for a while.

I catchup on other random media or with people lol

The only thing that I always do no matter what is vote on all 5 of my accounts lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    7:29 PM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    For me burnout tends to happen when I don't have goals I'm excited about or I've been working for too long towards a goal without feeling much progress.At that point I tend to do one of two things.

Sometimes I'll stop playing for a while until I miss it enough to come back.

Other times I manage to come up with a new goal to be excited about. It's usually not EXP or level related because I find that very difficult to be excited about unless I'm close to getting new skills or fighting a new boss.
    Some examples of goals that have worked for me were saving up for a scrolling or gaching spree, making a new character with a certain look/name/job in mind, doing all the quests in the game, working on monster book, trying to interact with other players in a different way.

I dunno if everyone's as goal-obsessed, but that's what works for me :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    9:29 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Whenever I burn out, I angrily tell all my friends that THIS TIME ITS REAL AND IM QUITTING FOREVER and then 3-6 months later I'm back

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lemonpasta

lemonpasta Horny Mushroom

May 21, 2020
    Female
    4:29 PM
    lemonravioli
    F/P Arch Mage, Bishop, Corsair
    Good job on making it to Level 60 on your Bandit and Level 52 on your Spearman! MapleF2
    Its a feat for making this far!

I usually avoid burnout by understanding the cause of the burnout.
    - Did I grind too hard?
    - Do I enjoy the character/job I am playing?
    - Does my hardwork align with my primary motivation of playing the game?

Every time I feel like I am on the verge of burnout, I stop what I am doing and switch to another content.
    Variation in content really helps OnionBlush

[​IMG]

Having a good community can help too, have friends that will ground you by reminding you of your primary motivation.

So what do you enjoy the most in this game? MapleF1

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    3:29 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    Most of my Maple burnout comes from always looking at endgoals, when I know I’m a person that takes the most enjoyment when I can have fun on the journey to a destination. Playing a character with the main purpose of reaching a certain point can be a stressful way to play, and one of the toxic cycles of Maple is that even achieving one goal can lead right into another one, just making you endlessly chase after a new carrot on a stick.

I stopped playing for 6 months and basically only logged in to chat with friends. When I had some time one weekend, I made a new character for purely casual reasons to do the things I enjoy most: questing and exploring. I’ve done those things to cardhunt and progress my character, but this wasn’t about doing things I like with the purpose of making gains in the game: I just wanted to play to enjoy myself. It was nice to play without stakes, and it recharged the Maple battery to where I’m ready to play again after some time away.

Find things in the game you enjoy and do them. There are a variety of things that fit that for me in Maple, and they range from bossing, PQs, quests, and things in between. You don’t always have to play the game to go somewhere: just take the time and have some fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    find friends to play with, and a friendly guild :D
    to me, its all about community

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
  11. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    5:29 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    U can do it in your time
    do things in game that you like:
    hunt card, do quest, find different maps

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    ooShawnyoo

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    I usually enjoy a little bit of everything, the leveling process, bossing, PQs, upgrading my equipment, just socializing, etc.

I think an issue of mine is that for whatever mmorpg I will play, I will always want to reach for the top. I won't be satisfied if I am a low level, weak, or not able to complete the difficult content. But as I said, since now I have less time to play, my life has changed over the past years, those kinds of goals might not be realistic for me anymore. So I am not enjoying the game as much as I could as I keep aiming for something unrealistic.

OnionSorry

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    As a casual player I'll say:
    Just enjoy the things you have, then enjoy more as you progress more :DD

• Like Like x 1
  14. vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    6:29 PM
    I think trying different classes would help, there have been times where i continued playing a class just because i put so much time and effort into it already but realised i just wasnt having fun.

After trying different classes and messing around a bit, i finally found a class i really enjoyed playing and didnt really care if i was low level or had low damage as i just really enjoyed playing that class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. lemonpasta

lemonpasta Horny Mushroom

May 21, 2020
    Female
    lemonravioli
    F/P Arch Mage, Bishop, Corsair
    I believe you are strong where you are right now.
    If your characters were able to contribute to a party at PQs or at bossing, you are more than enough. MapleF2

Its perfectly fine to fail a difficult content, at least you tried and had fun with other players!

Personally, I really miss the stress-free low level stage of my maple life at this point.
    All I want to do now is login and play nostalgic and fun content like PQs or just live the islander life.

The stress at higher levels is really not worth it but having variety in content is. OnionListen
    Just have fun and enjoy everything you love at your own pace!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    ooShawnyoo

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    Thanks, it's a good mentality to have while playing this game.

That being said, for me personally, being level 60 or 52 is very low for me, I usually get to 150+ on low rate exp, that is why it is so frustrating to me as I know I used to do better. But I'll try to take my time and enjoy my time here and not pressure myself too much. SlimeLaugh

17. SmellyCat

SmellyCat King Slime

Jun 9, 2021
    Bowmaster
    The common answer is to take a break. If possible completely tune out anything maple related, because even if you are not playing but continue to keep up with current events that may sway your opinion of the game. Ideally try to pick up another hobby/game that is different enough from maple as to avoid potential comparisons which sway your opinion.Maple is like a drug and the only way to kick the habit is to find another drug. However if you decide to stick around, as others have mentioned, set a goal so you have something to aspire to. Do not rush yourself to get to said goal either. For me though what really helps with the burnout is a good communicative guild or buddy list

• Like Like x 1
  18. boombipbop

boombipbop Red Snail

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    My 2 cents:

When you're burned out or don't feel like hopping on the eternal grind there's nothing wrong with just chilling on FM, turning on the Spotify, crack open a beer or smoke that doobie or whatever and just hang out. You've clearly played this game enough to know there's no race. The important thing is to enjoy yourself, whether it's grinding to get a bossing main or just shooting the shit with other people just like you that have been playing this game for too long lol *cough cough*. If you try to force anything you'll end up more bored/frustrated - go with the flow bro!

19. Aevisia

Aevisia Red Snail

Mar 8, 2022
    Female
    Canada
    5:29 AM
    Aevisia
    I/L Wizard, I/L Mage
    Canadians
    There's no shame in taking a break! I feel like games all have a lifespan of how long they can keep us entertained until they don't anymore. For me when that happens I usually just move on to the next thing until I'm getting the maple itch again. There are lots of fun games out there and I am sure Maple Legends will be here when you're ready to come back. ^^ What other games do you enjoy?

• Like Like x 1
  20. UnknownPower

UnknownPower Mano

Apr 6, 2022
    Male
    Beginner
    It's okay to take a break and come back replenished. The game will still be here, but you won't if you don't take care of yourself. Most of the time I watch stuff on the side or listen to music while I play. Other games are an option as well. After-all, I'm playing this server for the people and not so-much in terms of actual gameplay, although I do enjoy the nostalgia. Go at your own pace and you'll be alright. Talking with guildmates and/or buddies also help with the burnout as SmellyCatSmellyCat said.

• Like Like x 1