1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Deeper Dive into Leech and its Adverse Effects on Holistic Balance

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by -ovv, Nov 25, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    4:03 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think the best case for this is to make conventional leeching (afk on rope) so annoying that the alternative becomes the more optimal play. People could buy 'leech' service where they attack mobs, but it'd take away a huge component of leech in that it's supposed to be pretty much AFK. There really is no solution to people who prefer leeching and those people will find work arounds regardless of what gets implemented. However, I think that as long as the implementation shifts the culture of at least 80% of the community, it should be enough to affect the meta play and encourage new optimal strategies of party grinding and such. Once this meta is established, maybe that initial person that prefers to pay for a reduced leech service will instead turn to grinding again.

As for the afk checks, I think something as simple as having killed a mob and gained exp from it in the past x seconds could be a simple enough check. Sure, players could choose to keep a rapid fire mule on a safe spot, but not every map has safe spots, and it'd limit that player to one or two. Remember, that EXP ring event occurred while alt tab hurricane was still in play. I think in the current MapleLegends state, passing the afk checks would be much more difficult and annoying.

I'm also firmly in belief that players would just better enjoy grinding out their INT mules over the current norm of self-leeching to infinity. This game is pretty fun and the Maple World is pretty vast. Imagine being able to finish your Tier 10 ring on your INT mule just by switching up your grinding locations. The biggest deterrent to that currently is that INT mules are pretty much unusable until like lvl 140+. If they were still somewhat able to kill mobs in the earlier levels, I think the culture shift away from the dependence on leeching will happen naturally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    8:03 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I agree with that. My entire point is that I don't believe we should make leech impossible. I think we can continue with leech system AND add this. Leeching 1) is not an easy job, 2) is usually done by sweaty players and 3) is also a good meso sink. Not everyone will do this and seems we don't even have that much players doing it right now, so I don't see a problem on it. Why having a mage to leech yourself after waiting something like 2 years to wash to 19k (with 30k potential) on ranged class is a problem?

However, the INT thing I completely agree, it's friendly for new players. Now we can say "ok you should add some int to wash, but dont worry, it still gives you some extra damage, just a bit less than your main stat". They won't complain as they usually do.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  3. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Playing my I/L more over the last few months, I'm coming to like how mages get extra hp and mp by holding on to AP to mp wash/double wash without pumping AP into some useless stat first.

Why not make the main stat for each class work the way int does for mages? E.g. base luk gives extra mp to shads and NLs, which they can use to mp wash or hp wash (the numbers obviously need to be adjusted)

4. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    OnionCry

what about all the Beginners or Oddjobs that takes 2-3minutes to kill high level mobs.... that'd be a sad day for that style of afk check = kills/second.

5. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think this works in the same way, but it does affect the balance of item equipment slightly, which shouldn't be a big deal as long as by the end game players are still min-maxing for certain gear. I'm not completely opposed to this idea, though. It'd ultimately depend how the numbers are -- if base INT and MP washing gave a higher rate and leeching still existed, I think this alternative wouldn't really do much since people will still calculate the most optimal paths, NX-wise, to achieving their goals.
    You'd be better off tagging each of the mobs with one hit and having someone else finish for you, if exp gains were the only thing you were looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    I mean as a complete replacement for how int helps non-mage classes

7. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Oh I misread that and assumed you were talking about secondary stat. If each class's primary stat gave bonus MP and was factored into MP washing, wouldn't every character just have 30k hp/mp potential?

8. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    1:03 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Not if it's 6 hp stale wash like mages MapleF3

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    I guess I understand where you're coming from... although most Beginners are nostalgic for doing that grind and farming, and being able to kill mobs no matter how long it takes without help from anyone

....since that would be considered leeching, and beginners are mostly Non-Leeched.

oh yeah... and beginners are 8hp stale washed, and extra MP gains are worse than mages.

upload_2021-11-25_13-28-24.png
    Also Campers/Islanders are the only characters that can't really be leeched (even though party members do get exp), since the eph gains are so minimal.

If there was a leech-redesign, then everyone would be like campers/islanders and require active party play.

upload_2021-11-25_13-35-45.png

I'd say that while it would be good to change up how party exp is gained to promote active party members.... it could also reduce the over population of the server, as...

not many people are hardcore grinders that are willing to spend TONS of their IRL time just to grind out long hours for only minimal gains.

also some players just want to be left alone, and spend time by themselves for some solo play and maybe self-leech to try out different meta play-styles.

10. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    7:03 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    If you don't enjoy playing mage class... then why are you playing one?
    And if you enjoy one... your investment will make your class more enjoyable, I don't see an immediate downside to it.

[​IMG]
    I'm all in for ironman characters, but I disagree with having Blessing of the Fairy. It will make ironman characters suddenly a requirement for sweat lords and it will become another HP-Washing problem where one says its a necessity and another says it isn't

11. Tyron

Tyron Mano

Apr 5, 2021
    Male
    2:03 PM
    Ranger
    Sorry for post revival but I think its still relevant - I too second that leeching should be nerfed. In my opinion it disincentivizes many of the mechanics that made maple story great (teaming up, level together, pqing together, etc.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kmac

Kmac King Slime

Jan 15, 2021
    Male
    7:03 AM
    DPSmoira
    Beginner
    ML veterans campaigning for leech to get nerfed under the guise that it will “help” new players. Give me a break.

You know what new players will see? They’ll see a server that is already top-heavy with end game players that then made it harder for new players to catch up.

I recently made a new character and grinded it from 1-75. Did all the PQ’s and got their equips, met tons of people, did plenty of card hunting and grinding with friends. My new chars buddy list is flush with active players in the 3rd/ early 4th job range. It has been a very fun and engaging journey with this char.

The problem is that so many of you are hyper focused on the “most optimal and efficient” ways of leveling & washing that you need to be incentivized to actually play your characters through the early game. Here’s the thing, nobody is forcing you to leech your characters…. You can go make a new character, grind it out, make new friends, and nobody is going to stop you. The only ones stopping you are yourselves because it’s not as efficient as leech.

Leech is OP, but the real problem is the mentality of the player base (especially on these forums) being too fixated on efficiency and hyper-washing. There is plenty of good and fun content early, y’all just skip over it like ML is some kind of race to end game.

• Agree x 6
    • Friendly x 5
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Great Work x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Is your character end-game viable, or will you end up quitting when you reach a wall where your HP is now inadequate for level-relevant content?
    Sure, grinding a level 75 character is fun and all. We've all had our starter/burner accounts to get our feet wet with nostalgia for a month of game play. But if you haven't gotten past Zakum levels where your HP and DPM actually matter, you haven't really experienced a significant part of the game, and your character will be stuck at Zakum/Krex or grinding out at 7f till 200.

You act like you have command over the early game as if most of the end-game community hasn't played through it before.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    7:03 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I'm very sure KmacKmac missed this part of your quote below
    This is slightly off-topic, but back to what Kmac was emphasizing. Even if HP washing is truly optional, with the mentality of the forum here, most of us will still leech anyways, and sooner or later, a leech nerf thread will happen.

And also, on-topic, there are ways to play the game without leeching, and still have 15k-17k HP on your range characters (save 2m nx, 140int by lvl 50-70, wash mp 5 times for 80-100 levels, more info here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ll-every-boss-on-your-ranged-character.39844/). As once again, Kmac mentioned, with the mentality of this forum, leech will be the option due to the somewhat higher amount of NX (aka, inefficient) required.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    I think it's more them indirectly calling you out on your sweaty optimal path to end game thread. Maybe not you specifically, but the prevailing mentality of most end game players.

It's kinda like building a bridge to a nice island and then demanding it get torn down before everyone else has a chance of being able to afford the toll.

Leeching is definitely something to consider, but I think adding more options that make leeching feel inadequate would be a better approach.

For instance, there are only a few mobs that give a lot of exp for what they're worth(CDs, for example), but there are a ton more that don't give enough for the effort it takes. I know there's typically more to it, but if everything was scaled a bit better we'd likely have people leeching in better places(15 one-shot kills is 15 kills no matter how you look at it), leaving the "optimal solo/duo" areas for people who can't afford or don't want to leech.

A perfect exp:hp and/or level ratio isn't necessary, but making chonkier mobs in general dish out more exp is definitely a good starting point.

And I get that my first paragraph will likely be taken as hostile, I meant it as a playful jab. If you post elitist stuff even as satire you gotta be able to take it in stride when people call you out OnionSelfie that includes me, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I would argue it is much easier for a new player to just play an NL from start to finish without having to rely on leech the entire way. In the current format, a new player needs to grind up a mage or bishop then level up their attackers while completely skipping out on any early level content. With my suggestion a new player could simply start a Night Lord, pump their stats into INT without worrying about washing it out immediately, and they could keep base INT for longer to MP wash late into their bossing levels without much detriment. They'd still be time gated by NX to wash out their INT and reach maximum damage potential, but their entire early game won't be hindered or pre-routed towards magestory.

My proposal simply adjusts the rate at which late game players can multiply their army of attackers when they already have all of the resources (mages, NX, INT gear, mesos etc.). The problem with leech is that it allows for an individual to level up multiple characters at once without suffering much experience loss, and it allows players to skip past the difficulties of early game grinding that were intentionally designed around holistic class balancing. Hermits, outlaws, and archers are supposed to be somewhat shit-tier 3rd jobbers, which is why they excel in the 4th job. None of that matters if they're advancing to 4th job without ever having played 1st, 2nd, or 3rd job at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tyron

Tyron Mano

Apr 5, 2021
    Male
    2:03 PM
    Ranger
    Well thing is, you can't simply change player mentality, but you can simply nerf idle party xp gain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    First off, I support your suggestion. That being said, I think your analysis is somewhat off base.

The first thing I want to touch on is the lack of second and third job players. As servers age, the amount of endgame characters goes up and the amount of every other character goes down. This is a natural process with every server and while eliminating leech would help do away with it, it won't ultimately fix the shrinking amount of end game players.

Something I noticed is very few second and third job characters, but plenty of people making first job characters. Even early second job is decently populated. Why is this? Conventional wisdom holds that it's because leech is just "too strong," but I think it has more to do with poor grinding options well into second and third job. Sure, there are stand out spots like GS2 and Gallos, but in general most maps fall off hard. PQs are not that great too. Nerfing leech would definitely help bring more people to grinding areas, but "holistic balance" requires a holistic look at what makes grinding in second and third suck ass (not just high INT).

About the utility of low level equips and certain scrolls: my experience is that the lack of these has very little to do with player population. I have a ton of low level equips and random scrolls that are rotting in my inventory because the FM system sucks ass to sell stuff in. Look at oldschool RuneScape or World of Warcraft Classic in comparison to v62: in those games you can list up items super fast in the Grand Exchange and Auction House respectively. Searching for items is quick and painless. You can sort items by quantity, price, etc. None of this "owling" bullshit. WoW in particular has a market API where you can see price trends. OSRS has similar websites (I don't know if this existed back in the day, but Gaia Online had similar systems at the time). Selling stuff in the FM is such a colossal pain in the ass. Even just pricing stuff "correctly" is a hassle. IMO it would help the server a ton if FM shops stayed open for three days instead of one day only.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    A top heavy population is irreversible without a mass exodus/quitting. The way EXP works in this server also guarantees a top-heavy server. However, my proposed suggestion was not necessarily a fix for that -- nor do I really think having a ton of people in the later stages of the game (4th job+) is all that bad as long as the game can adjust along with it. The problem I'm seeing with having a non-existent 2nd and 3rd job class is that leeching from 1st to 4th job makes irrelevant the minor nuances in intended class design that ultimately homogenizes the character creation experience. For an end game player, there really is no difference in how they treat making a secondary/remake character. All signs point to heavy base INT and excessive MP washing - which only solidifies the path to end-game via leeching.

Leech isn't just 'one of the solutions' anymore - it has become the only realistic solution, especially for players who make it to the end game. Side note - I know there are players like AlyoshaAlyosha who made an attacker without relying on excessive leech, but the process is significantly more painful in today's Legends where base INT cripples your character, especially since there are much faster and NX-efficient options available. You can probably count on one hand the number of players who have reached level 200 without an alt mage/bishop account, so this means most players who are creating additional accounts would have the option of self-leeching regardless.

Grinding in 1st - 3rd job is super easy in this game considering the grand scheme of things, and it's made MUCH MUCH easier for end-game players with access to buff mules and gear. I think people think of 2nd and 3rd job as some difficult task because they only really ever experienced in their initial playthrough of the game, when they knew the least about the game and didn't have much time/room to explore various options. INT muling past all of early-game doesn't really facilitate for this development, either, but if players were forced to grind through every job without relying on leech, we could start seeing new strategies form.

The way I'd see it, there'd be little to no market for selling the low level weapons, but there would be an increase in demand for 60% scrolls so that low level gear could be made better for personal use. In current Maple, there is very little reason to make 2nd/3rd job gear.

• Agree Agree x 2