1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowers Need a Buff

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by -ovv, May 21, 2022.

1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    3:09 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It's no secret. Shadowers need a buff. Even if sed muling was removed tomorrow, shadowers wouldn't make the cut in most 6-man teams because that role can be filled even better by anybody else with enough HP. Without a buff, shadowers will slowly meet the same fate as heroes.

Who is the #1 Hero (jdp)? Who is the #1 Shadower (bea)? We're clearly missing top-end representatives because these classes have been abandoned due to their irrelevance. It's time for some buffs, yeah?

But before we get to that, it'd be appropriate to discuss where their landing spot should be. IMO, the appropriate landing place for Shadowers is similar to buccaneers - between the small margins of paladins and heroes. This places them in the mid-level range in that they require a heavier wash than the entry level warriors, and to go with this, I think they should be deserving of mid-level damage range.

There have been a lot of suggestions in bolstering shadower single-target dpm (SE effectiveness, scaling, flat out buff to Assassinate, etc.) but one thing I'd personally want to see is Shadow Partner on Shadowers. It just makes sense. Shadower - shadow partner? No?

Before you freak out, yes, Shadowers with SP seems like a step towards the degeneracy of Dual Blades and such, but let me make my case first.

My suggestions:
    • Give Chief Bandits a nerfed Shadow Partner (Level 20 max)
    • Give 2nd and 3rd job skills a much higher crit rate to work in conjunction with SE
    • Allow Assaulter end animation to be cancelled with another skill so that you can weave in attacks
    • Officially announce that SP washing is allowed
    Pros:
    • Shadower receives an all-around damage buff at a small cost (Summon rock/2 mins)
    • 2nd and 3rd job skills become more situationally viable
    • Pick Pocket becomes more effective
    • 12-line Savage Blow :O
    Cons:
    • Lots of code/development work
    • Not entirely nostalgic or true to v0.62
    • Heroes cry more about being the bottom-tier class
    • Shadowers can print mesos faster now?
    Problem #1 - SP Allocation:
    In its current state, 3rd job Shads have ~18 leftover SP after they max their core skills. This would mean that shadowers could either put their 4th job skills into SP to max it out, or they could SP wash (link above in suggestions). Staff's stance on SP washing is still uncertain, so implementing something like this could give them space to take an official stance. Other jobs could benefit from a Legends-featured SP washing culture like dual-mastery warriors (paladins and axe heroes rejoice) while having minimal - if any - drawbacks.

Problem #2 - Cleave Damage Spike:
    Bolstering Shadower damage all around would make their cleave damage spike pretty hard because they are capable of 4-cleaving. However, I don't think this is TOO big of an issue because cleave content is barely relevant.

--
    Gonna leave this here because I need to go, but feel free to discuss your thoughts. As always, my suggestion posts are merely spaces to facilitate discussion. I really don't care if it gets implemented or not as long as it yields a better understanding of the current meta/on-going issues.

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    12:09 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    I'm going to have to be a very boring conservative here and say that I would prefer not to see this implemented simply because of your first 2 cons.

Also, you mention cleave barely being relevant, but doesn't that hit the nail on the head? I feel like figuring out a way to give cleave a more relevant spot in the meta is a healthier approach than repeatedly buffing the 'weakest' class.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    6:09 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Shad and Hero are becoming the 2nd attacker class nowadays.
    Most people who run multi attackers on bossing are usually a range + shad/hero.

Shad (and hero and cleave in general) is due for a fix, but with people running multi attackers like that, buffing them is risky.

4. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    To be fair, even if cleaving was more relevant, shads would still be in the same predicament as their cleaving abilities are so incredibly lackluster compared to warriors (their 3-target cleave loses to paladins and their 4-target cleave still loses out to heroes and DKs).

• Like Like x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    IMO it’s easier to change classes than to make custom content to be more inclusive. A lot more levers and gears move around with those types of changes.

As for nostalgia, we’re in a pog coin era of Legends. We’re in the multiverse now.

With that said, any buff that is found to be overtuned should be announced early and tweaked in the following patch. I say this as a precaution because any type of buff will always be welcomed, and any type of nerf will always be opposed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    6:09 AM
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    Never appeal to the 'buff everyone to parity' sentiment, it's a game killer. Classes need nerfs even if it will make 10 rageheads quit, or the game will powerscale out of control. At least every game I've ever played afraid to nerf classes has gone that way. The only saving grace against this sentiment is that ML has an average of one balance pass a year... But that also means while things are OP, they don't get addressed for a long time, long enough for people to heavily invest and do economy damage.

I would like to see an attempt at flattening the differences between cleavers theoretical damages into a very narrow but concise hierarchy. I'm not sure what the current state is of that question though. I don't think we should be using HT45s as our judgement metric (at least exclusively) due to the differences in how each class can approach it. This is why we make use of dummy/theory dpms, to best address all content potential. Of course we should have priority focus on 2 and 3 target cleave when it comes to balancing cleave as 4 hit is basically irrelevant. Then it's up to the player to achieve it. This is why I joke about DrK being hard, because to hit dummy potential requires a constant focus to zerk safely, while others washed to similar degrees have 3-4 hits to work with. (in the cleave section at least) so as far as I'm concerned it is the hardest to apply theoretically and makes sense being ontop of the 3x cleave genre. Not to say shads heroes and bucc shouldn't be within 5-10% of that damage though. I would like to see the theoretical dps be very tightly grouped.

And then next year we can assemble loads of practical data (we should get a group of contributora. And absolutely not only providing our bests, but our averages too) and make adjustments based on practicals. I'm sure this is somewhat the goal of the balance team but I think this calls for much more user metrics. Howany people run daily HT, Cwkpq, jc, rav, zak, weekly PB, etc. And yet we have like 10 best case or less representative stats from HT and PB only..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. pbnbuttah

pbnbuttah Snail

May 21, 2022
    11:09 AM
    im conflicted. I love shads, and id love to see a buff, but id rather see a change like what ainz said. make cleave more viable rather than flat out buff.

i feel like trying to buff cleave classes that already have a way easier time hp washing/surviving/able to unlock content way earlier and progress and level faster compared to ranged classes is already a huge benefit in choosing one of these cleave classes. cleave classes can also better prepare for end game where a ranged class needs a year just to setup. the trade off for this patience should be immensely rewarded.

side track.
    (imo. voting for a year is insane especially with ap resets being mostly TIME gated. people move on to different games in that kind of time span.)

before we address closing the damage gap, maybe we should first address the trade off that different classes have to go through.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    If buffs are out of the question then we should at least nerf Marksmen, Paladins, and Buccaneers(screw you iPippy, your barrel is getting taken away) so they can be as awful as they were years ago. Neckson decided that they were to be the worst classes and we ought to respect that decision, just look at how jealous all of the poor cleave classes are now that they're on the bottom. We ought to nerf them so that everyone can be in the stinky piss pit, and in that way we can reserve the good classes like Night Lords and Corsairs(with their mages too) for the folks who care are willing to get their DPS permit by posting their sweaty gamer chairs on the forums

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    7:09 AM
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    Please read what you wrote here, we can't buff a bad class because a random guy is attacking with his NL/Sair while attacking with shad/heroes? like, they can't use 2 NL's to hit? This only happens because this guy left the class because they irrelevant, and now he have 2 attackers, the problem is on hero/shad? You really think that?

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    12:09 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Duo clienting with a shad or hero isn’t just for dpm (tho hero dpm in cwk is just insane). If it’s all about dpm, just make a 2nd NL #zoni

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    My warning regarding buffing/nerfing was more geared towards staff. I think they've been cautious about buffing classes in general because of the fears of power creep all around, but this can be easily countered by simply announcing that certain buffs made would eventually be tweaked/rescaled without even having to make the changes immediately. This type of transparency would most definitely soften the blow for any type of nerf.

For example, the HH mule debacle of 2020 was pretty bad because the singular rebalancing change was stretched across multiple patches. HH was nerfed and nothing was given in return, so it was a reductive change on its own. Then came the HH cast time change and the Holy Charge buff, which finally rebalanced Paladins into their current state.

A nerf that comes standalone will always be met with resistance. However, a nerf that comes in conjunction with a buff can be seen as a lateral change and is therefore not as reductive of change. It could be controversial, sure, but it would at least be somewhat justified.

Another example of a lateral change - mage farming. We see that multimage farming is an issue at the moment. How do we fix this without being reductive? You nerf their farming ability and buff something else. Now you have a mage class that's worse or more neutral in farming and better at something else. However - this might be a bad analogy, because mages are currently good at everything, so maybe a reductive change is actually needed instead of a lateral one? That's up for debate.

In the state of Shadowers, they don't need lateral changes. They quite literally need a buff to even compare with Heroes and DKs, which are all around better than Shadowers and much easier to wash (hence entry-level). The only reason Heroes were marked as the worst class in that thread was because Shadowers had a very niche role in being sed target, but that role has since been passed off to mules. Shadowers are the worst class in the game at the moment.

• Like Like x 7
  12. CountDabs

CountDabs King Slime

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    Dabulator
    Corsair
    WeenieHutJrs
    My suggestion to buff shadowers is to remove the need to cast dark sight to proc assassinate while smokescreen is active, increasing their single target dps by lowering the overall cast time of the combo.
    This would also give them a larger percent of a buff from having sharp eyes, as well as time leap and would not be a ridiculous buff to solo shadower gameplay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    7:09 AM
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    To be honest i'd loved to see shadow partner on shadowers, this would be cool as f*ck, but i think it is easy to say, staff not going to do it, since its not "nostalgic", that's how they work, unfortunately.
    In my humble oppinion shadowers need to get their single target damage relocated to something near buccanners/archers, since they provide extra utility, and shadowers provide a little better cleave, there's plenty ways to do that, as we saw in previous posts, if b.step damage/speed get a buff (enough to their main ST attack being ds+ass+b.step), i agree with dealing lower damage than si/se (i'm not talking about dummy dpm), since our cleave is going to be more useful, and this can increase i-frames (+dpm effectiveness), this would make the gap between log/high ping shads lower, since it's not ass spam too.

Another cool change is assassinate not having cap, even i with a bad dagger and 110 int (level 153) can deal 200k lines after cancels already.
    Personally i don't like the idea of changing smoke for lower cd + lower duration, since the cast time is way too long, but this is debatable since after all, shadower utility is worse than SI/SE, while providing less damage, that's no reason to play shadower, and that's why i'm re-rolling, the lack of transparency of the balance team makes me sad, i should listen the start of alyosha post when i came back:
    upload_2022-5-25_7-52-7.png
    i would be happier than now, personally i don't like the idea of funding and wasting my time when everyone can do better with less, re-rolling to bucc, and pretty excited, unfortunately i'll need to wait for almost a year, but it's fine, i can live with it

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Not needing to cast DS for assassinate while in smoke is a cute idea I've entertained before, and while it is very thematic and just "makes sense", it does almost nothing to boost overall shad dpm by itself.

Assassinate has a cast time of 1380 ms and DS has a cast time of 100 ms, which means not having to use DS makes assassinate about 6.76% faster. Since smoke has an uptime of only 15%, the overall impact on shad dpm would be just over 1%. For the impact to be at all significant, assassinate would have to be made at least 20% faster while in smoke, i.e. have a cast time of 1180 ms, which is the point where overall shad dpm would be increased by 3%.

It does allow shads to synergize with themselves though, i.e. the benefit is augmented in parties with multiple shads (when does that ever happen though). It also would be a nice QoL change for the shad players with ping issues...

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. asdsaou

asdsaou Mushmom

Oct 10, 2021
    Male
    asdsaou2
    Corsair
    What if you buffed Ninja Ambush? No one uses it cause of the poor damage. What if you buffed it so it gave you a DPM boost if you were skilled enough to time the re-casting every 12 seconds?