1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

remove mapowner automatically if the person who has the map is dead

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Esmo, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    6:26 AM
    Not 24/7 but recording screen while afk for an example to get proof of someone killing you on purpose would be an example.

I know not a lot of people have NVIDIA, most use AMD or other ones.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    3:26 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    if you need to record yourself to play the game and not get griefed, something is very wrong with this game.

• Like Like x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    does it even matter in my case? The dude was already dead by the time I came in the boss area.

and no,most of the people use nvidia,but not everyone have it.

4. sandpickle

sandpickle Mushmom

Dec 1, 2020
    Male
    8:26 AM
    firepickle
    Magician
    Cucumber
    I'm not sure why people are disagreeing with you... I think in the case where you get griefed when afk, the best way to show evidence is having a recording. I use shadowplay all the time to record my degen scrolling/rolling.

What about the flip side? Someone waits 3 hours for an area boss to spawns, mis-steps and dies, or dies because HP washing is optional, and then some random comes by at the perfect time to yoink the boss? I think if you invest the time to have a bishop and put in the effort to lug him around to area bosses, you should be able to rely on the insurance of your investment in the bishop to keep mapowner.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    You still don’t get the point,a dead person shouldn’t have the option to hold the map for more than 1minute it’s ridiculous! or actually at all.I would understand if he was in party and an party member was in the map but nope ,no one was in the map but me and him for solid 2minutes

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Our arguments about how to record griefing are reasons for giving dead people mapowner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    I know, thats what I said

8. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:26 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    There's alternatives to shadowplay, such as OBS which has a similar function.

You shouldn't have to feel the need to record all your gameplay though but it does help when you do have it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    and if there’s a person who doesn’t have a bishop or cannot get ressed by his friend, It’s not fair. anyway mapowner abuse

10. OP
    OP
    Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    Bump

D8971FE4-1BCF-4407-BF27-3B8088904BF2.jpeg

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  11. thsscapi

thsscapi Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    9:26 PM
    Jizoical, ZackSparrow
    F/P Arch Mage, Corsair
    Lemonade
    I disagree with this.

Let me offer a flip-flip side. John (Smith) waits 3 hours for an area boss to spawn, kills it and notes down the timer. John returns at the appropriate them later to check on the next spawn. They immediately spot another player in the mini-map and his heart sinks: some random player was at the right place at the right time and got lucky. Then John's heart soars when he realises that the random player is actually dead. Imagine John's confusion and anger when he find out he cannot take mapowner. Didn't he also spend time getting the timer from a previous spawn? Arguably, John spent even more time and effort than the dead player. Also, John didn't die. Why should the dead player be able to have mapowner then? Why shouldn't John have his attempt to kill this boss since the random player failed to kill it?

There are hundreds of different scenarios. Occasionally, one player is obviously in the right and the other in the wrong. But more commonly, it's just a shitty situation and nobody is really at fault.
    We need to take that into account when thinking about the question: Should dying make you lose mapowner?

My answer is yes, you should lose mapowner. I know I said that often, nobody is at fault. But think about it. Disregarding external factors like server lag, whose fault really is it that a player died?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. thsscapi

thsscapi Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    Jizoical, ZackSparrow
    F/P Arch Mage, Corsair
    Lemonade
    I have no issue with the timer.

It is also not about whether anyone is doing anything wrong. I have a problem with the mechanic that being dead still allows you to hold mapowner for the remaining mapowner duration. If it was changed to lose mapowner the moment a player dies, then there is nothing wrong with a random player coming in to take over mapowner and consequently "yoinking" the boss.

Nobody is wrong, but that doesn't mean the rule shouldn't be changed or adjusted. That's not how rules work.
    In a school exam, looking at other students' answers is not against the rules. Some students want to pass on their own merit so they don't look. Some students take the easy way out and copy other students' answers. Nobody is wrong, but that defeats the point of the exam.
    Just because nobody is wrong, doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with the rule/law.

I think that mapowner should be lost the moment the map owner dies. It is the consequence of not bringing a Bishop (either a party member or multiclient your own) and overestimating your own ability to survive.

Multiclienting, in general, is not the intended way to play Maple, though it is generally acceptable. What this means is that the situation as described (a dead player waiting on his other character to come Ress him) is particular to ML (and likely only a handful of other games). In any typical game, if you died to an area boss, it's your fault for thinking you could solo it and didn't bring a healer friend along.

In any typical game, if your area boss got KS-ed by a stronger player, it's just too bad for you. There is no mapowner rule protecting you. Mapowner in ML exists as a way to discourage players from being inconsiderate, as well as for bullied players to report bullies. It is not meant for a player to hold the map for 5 minutes because he was too lazy to bring his own Bishop along or to give him an easy way out of overestimating his own ability to not die.

I repeat: Mapowner exists as a way to discourage ks-ing, griefing, abuse, and generally being a jerk, as well as a tool for victims to report offenders. It is not meant for players to escape the consequences of overestimating their own abilities.

I believe that players' ghost staying on the map is simply a necessity to allow the Ressurection mechanic to exist. Just imagine: If a player died in an instanced boss fight (e.g. Zakum), and there is no Bishop in the squad, does it matter that their ghost remains in the map? Other than to take screenshots for shaming them, there isn't much reason for it. So why is it that players dying in area bosses can keep mapowner simply because they own a Bishop?

Even this could potentially be abused. If I died to an area boss, and a random player comes in, I could lie that I had a Bishop on the way, in the hopes they would leave to check other channels. Then, I would revive and rush back to kill the boss and they would be none the wiser. I died to the boss, that's on me, so why does this mechanic exist to allow me to abuse it this way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    9:26 AM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    Mapowner is worse grief than KSing. Certain guilds already regularly hold intolerable numbers of area boss maps at once. Can't abuse mapowner if there is none.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    How about decreasing the mapowner timer from 5 minutes to 30-60 seconds but only on maps that have area bosses.

That way a dead player will lose their mapowner very fast and it will give active players a better chance of taking the map from an afk boss camper. All without affecting the people that just want to afk a couple minutes without losing their grinding map, and the 30-60 seconds is plenty of time incase you need to get your gear/pet/whatever in order to fight the boss.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Mapowner was implemented with a reason. Seeing the server descend back into KS wars and all associated toxicity wouldn't be pretty either.

I agree the current system isn't ideal, but completely removing mapowner ain't it either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    There’s one person who claimed all of the channels today at anego,this game is unplayable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Do IP check on boss map. Auto disconnect your characters when you try to enter a regional map with many clients on different channels

18. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1