1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted New account gender selection modernization

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Lirbo, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    4:12 PM
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    I can already see some people raging about it without me even saying anything...
    upload_2022-5-23_1-44-2.png

Please add "Other" or something, it's kinda politicly wrong for 2022.
    Maybe an option to change this selection later on as well, even though it doesn't affect the game..

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Joy Celeste

Joy Celeste Mushmom

Nov 11, 2021
    Female
    7:12 AM
    Celeste
    I agree with the concept, but I don't think the game can be programmed to take in an "Other" gender. Also it actually affects the game - which gear can the "other" genders wear?

My understanding is that a character's gender is either 0, 1, or 2 (male, female, and other). Items that are not gendered can be worn by either gendered player.
    It wouldn't be fair to exclude the ability to wear gendered clothing for these "other" gendered characters, nor would it be fair to allow them to wear both male and female clothes.

3. OP
    OP
    Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    It doesn't, it's just for the database - you can still create both Male & Female characters.. it's not about the /character/ but the information regarding the account itself.

If there was an "Other" gender for characters that'd have been broken, everybody would have picked it and crossdressed for easy gear without having to find for your own gender.
    Which begs for the question why there's no such a thing as a Gender-Change in this game, but that's another suggestion for another time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:12 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    I believe Kim mentioned difficulties in 'fixing' this a while ago. It may or may not prove too difficult.

However, if it *is* possible, I feel like this male/female check could (and should) just be entirely removed for being useless. If I remember correctly, there are/were other v62 servers that removed it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. OP
    OP
    Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    You are not wrong about this one, many have removed this.
    Removing this is also an option, it doesn't really do anything aside from collecting information on the users.
    Now if it's too hard to fix? I don't know - don't think so honestly... unless we're talking about the character-gender-change here, that's another story that brings a lot of complications.

6. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I feel like just removing it entirely is better, you can already swap in between Male and Female at character creation, its pretty much just extra "click here" before anything on a fresh account.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    needs client edits and this feature is purely there to have authentic packet usage from gms. We got better things to deal with

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  8. Zilch

Zilch Mano

Jan 29, 2015
    Male
    8:12 AM
    A better option would be to just flat-out remove it if possible, it's unnecessary, especially if it has no value-added benefits in-game.

9. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    kimmy just said above why it is there ^

10. Kishu

Kishu Slime

Feb 28, 2022
    Male
    3:12 AM
    Kishu
    Shadower
    Perion
    No. If adding this option wouldn't change anything, then this is completely and utterly redundant. Not to mention there are no biological genders besides the male and female gender. Why would you even make this suggestion, it is so redundant. And what is politically and biologically WRONG is that the 'other' option be included anywhere in existence.

11. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    You are confusing Sex with Gender.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    My dude you're still living in times before Maple was even originally released

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Kishu

Kishu Slime

Feb 28, 2022
    Male
    Kishu
    Shadower
    Perion
    They both apply to what I stated previously. Prove me wrong - state a specific gender that isn't male or female that exists and/or originated from the world's biology. You can't, because there are none.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Kishu

Kishu Slime

Feb 28, 2022
    Male
    Kishu
    Shadower
    Perion
    Times when the world made more sense.

15. iccqqq

iccqqq Dark Stone Golem

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Hero
  16. OP
    OP
    Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    We are not talking about biological genders, we are talking about how a person would like to identify themselves as - this is not a doctor appointment. And if somebody wouldn't like to identify as a Male or a Female that is their right to do so.

As for the fact that it's considered low priority in the management eyes, sure that's another issue. Though I'm happy the issue received the attention it deserved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    As mentioned in the thread, this doesn't impact that stuff. It's account related, not character related.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Going to close this because it's answered and I already smell where it's going.

Not moved to denied because it's something we can (possibly easy) implement, but we now just got more important stuff to deal with.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  19. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    We wanted to do something small now as a break from the other things we are doing, so we thought about this thing today.

Implemented for the next patch.

Demonstration:

Something I kind of forgot about but when you create a character if you pick male it automatically selects "male" and if you pick female it automatically picks female at character creation. We've decided to make "other" select female as default, but you can still change it of course if you want.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.