1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP WASHING IS NOT NOSTALGIC

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by vitriaxx, Jun 11, 2022.

1. vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    4:13 AM
    This will probably be really controversial but fk it.

HP WASHING IS NOT NOSTALGIC

Back when you played Maplestory did you know about hp washing?

Did you just chose a class because it looked cool and was fun?

Did you ever consider or know about HP washing at all?

I wonder what was the actual population that knew about hp washing back in old school.

But i digress, a brief description on why i hate it so much and want it removed or obliterated in someway. (i have no issues with AP resets just HP washing)

My favourite part of Maplestory is the 2nd and 3rd job stage, with classes like assassin, I/L and Corsair. Doing PQs with them, exploring Maplestory etc.

But the fact that the "proper" way to play certain classes is to hang on a rope till you are 120 with 200 Int while you leech is completely ridiculous to me. (Also completely destroys the social aspect of the early game.)

[​IMG]
    (credit to INSAINRUSSIA which basically explains why it sucks so much now)

You should be able to play a class, any class you want in any stage of the game. Not having to wait 1 year to save up in AP resets or leech your way to 120 with crazy amounts of INT be the only way to enjoy certain classes.

I'm not the smartest but for long i have no idea why no one has come up with a solid way of dealing with HP washing.

Time to rip that bandaid off

Well i'm in favour of removing it completely ( yes idc about you older players who had to suffer through hp washing) I think it should be a thing of the past and something to move on (like how we removed gachapon tickets from the CS, it sucked but it was for the better) . It might suck to have all that time invested and have it gone for nothing but i think its better for the game in general, especially for new players who are just put off by the whole hp washing thing and quit.

To the developers i'm pretty sure at this point you just don't want to upset the older fanbase who had to use this horrible system but come on i think its time we move on.

This is definitely not how Maplestory should be played.

Pros

Wanna play a new class? but worried about INT, Vote investment, Leech cost and HP washing etc ?

Now you don't have to care about HP washing ! Play whatever you want!

Cons

Like none, its a shitty old quirk that should be removed

Solutions?

Okay here comes the part where i'm the most shaky about because i'm not really sure if its a good idea or will it work or make things better, if you have any other suggestions feel free to say it. ( and pls not stupid ones like make AP resets free it still doesn't address the whole leech to 120 with 200 int issue or the fact we have to use AP resets at all)

My Idea

(Everything can be subject to change)
    (i'm just spitballing here)

Make bosses do % based damage based on class
    Where assassins get hit for 70% of their health and maybe warriors get hit for 40% cause they are tankier essentially.

Make a system where if there are two warriors in the party % of damage taken is transferred to the warrior from the assassins or archers or whatever allowing them to "tank" essentially. Obviously there has to be a system where this only works if the the warriors are doing a good chunk of damage to the boss to prevent the use of mules.

This essentially allows for amount of HP not to be a major criteria in bossing.

This is a pretty half baked idea and probably needs more fleshing out.

I'm not sure if this is even technically feasible

The intended use of AP resets

So what will AP resets actually be used for?
    Will it be a dead item?

I don't think so. Have an equipment you cant wear but don't have enough mesos to buy that Dex bottom? Use an Ap reset to reallocate stats allowing for crazy amounts of flexibility!

TLDR

HP Washing bad.

• Great Work x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Creative x 1
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    8:13 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    I feel like I've seen this exact thread 17 times before

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    2:13 AM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    i like the idea - only if u apply to newer bosses.

u don't care about older players who have already washed. but these are the players that kept the servers alive. u can't invalidate them

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    at least the idea is 'new', tho borrowed from post bb

5. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    The idea of percentage based damage is old as time, the other idea is probably significantly too custom to implement, let alone on a v62 client. Maple has never been a game where tanks get to tank for others.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:13 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:13 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Playing a shitty unwashed character is nostalgic, tho.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. OP
    OP
    vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    Probably you have

9. OP
    OP
    vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    Its not that i don't care about older players, i just don't care how they would feel.

The toxic mentality of i have to suffer HP washing so you should too is as bad as it gets for a horrible gameplay mechanic that shouldn't exist

Invalidate them? honestly if we removed HP washing how would it really affect people who have already washed?
    The only thing would be wasted effort and time but that would be about it.
    Nothing would change for these older players.

And if you wanna talk about wasted time and effort think of all the new players that play into 3rd or even 4th job without realising their characters are basically locked out from end game content and their only option is to restart, make a bishop and leech that character up whilst HP washing. ( I assume most just end up quitting at 2nd job)

If MapleLegends wants to continue to grow i think a good thing to do would be to do away with the HP washing mechanic. Even if older players don't
    like it.

At the end of the day i just want new players and older players to be able to play any job they want without having to worry about hp washing or leeching them to 120. I personally think assassins and hermits have one of the most fun 2nd and 3rd jobs in the game but its such a shame that so many people wont get to experience it just because of the HP washing meta right now requiring you to leech.

i think reworking bosses to % based attacks or reworking defense in the game for classes would be a good step into the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    dying is nostalgic.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    11:13 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    "Maple has never been a game where tanks get to tank for others." and that is the root of most of the balance issues in this game, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    damn this kills all my def scrolled items (that I definitely have) but not like it would matter since I could tank any boss at any lvl

13. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    that last part about def is being looked at so we can close this 10000 duplicate thread zzzz

if you dont know what it takes to create, play and wash a char dont make these kind of threads. Saving a year of APR for you to wash and be able to play your char is absolute bullshit for 95% of the players here.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    3:13 PM
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    Wash sucks, but asking for it removal its just a waste of time, believe me.
    And you don't need to vote for 2 years, a half of a year is enough to hyperwash any class and start playing, (that is the time you actually need to prepare your whole setup), rangeds will be low hp, but you can still do almost everything with HB and play while stale washing, personally in 3 months i could from a fresh lv 50 cleric, make a 150 shadower, minimal funding on it and start playing with him. (21k hp goal)
    If at least def.rework make people with 0 wash can at least join almost every bossfight is good enough, actually you can almost do it tbh, its just... unefficient

15. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    wasted effort and time = quit game
    whether u like it or not, alot old hardcore sweaty players play a good part in keeping our servers alive. you cant say that about new and casual players who comes and goes on infinite hiatus.
    sure you can make them upset. but if majority of them leave the game, imo, this server will die.

just look at post bb maple - alot players feel invalidated coz of effort invalidation, though in a different way as compared to remove hp washing

16. WohnJick

WohnJick Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    WohnJick
    My question to you is how many of these newer players actually make it to the end game? They're not getting locked out of content if they don't even get to the content in the first place. Most casual players will just be doing zak/HT/CWKPQ/pap/rav/BF, these boss contents are considered easier to get to and you don't need a 30k HP intlord for that. With just some basic in gear, 50 base int, some HP items like MoN, tier10 ring, BFC, you can survive any of these bosses with the exception of BF touch damage. Survivability also improves if you have a DK in your party, they are not hard to find. I have a person in my buddy list who has 4 base int on a 4th job archer, has only done some HP washing with int gear and was never locked out of any of the contents mentioned above.

HP washing is optional, you can still have fun, no need to hate on it, no need to love it, it's a personal preference. Getting locked out of end-game content which accounts for a very small portion of what Maple has to offer should not make you hate HP washing, just my 2 cents

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  17. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    If you want % hp damage from bosses I think actual Maple got you covered, especially for bosses after Empress and up.

My lv252 Bishop has like 53k hp and I don't even boss with Magic Guard up anymore. And why even have HP as a stat at that point, I wonder?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    This guy wants to know your location:
    [​IMG]

19. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    OP brings up valid concerns but the issue doesn't come from hp washing. You can grind and PQ just fine with 200 int or less and that 200 int is all you need to be able to participate in boss runs no matter what job you picked. Sure you need vote cash but the amount of time needed to accumulate enough is often overstated.

People "don't" (some do) grind and PQ at those levels because leech is just so much more effective and easy, especially if you want to level up multiple characters at once for muling purposes.

Buff some PQs a bit more (see Gurks fantastic PQ thread), limit passive exp gains, limit multiclienting (there are more ways of achieving this than just IP blocking), there's so many things you could do to switch the meta from leeching to grinding/PQing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1