1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suspend Mapowner While Area Bosses are Spawned

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by HarleyEllis, Jun 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    6:39 PM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    That's all. You know the implications. You white, you get to loot soonest, and you get the ratio of exp correlating to your damage contribution. FFA is healthy nontoxic gameplay. If you're salty, do more damage or show up earlier.

• Disagree Disagree x 17
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    12:39 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    How is this healthy nontoxic gameplay?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    KS wars sound super nontoxic to me! They've never led to defame wars or verbal abuse or anything of the sort!!!

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    It isn't KSing if there is no mapowner. Removing the entitlement to the boss and explicitly stating as a rule that anyone can attack it is what I'm proposing.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I feel like 10 years worth of oldschool maplestory would argue very differently lmao

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    Sounds like toxic players, not toxic gameplay. There are already remedies in place for them.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Doesn't make it any less shit to be a victim of :^)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Current situation is pretty toxic too, don't think this is the solution though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    I'm hearing criticisms of players but not of my solution. What specifically about this rule change would be problematic? This would directly make the server more meritocratic, giving everyone entitlement to attack, determining rewards the same way MapleStory always has for any other uninstanced fight, and removing the toxic incentive to camp mapowner on area bosses, only for the duration they are spawned. If people can't handle the change and start fights, rules already exist to handle incidents they stir up. Why are people acting as though mapowner solved people being toxic???

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Wouldn't it create an even more unfair situation for those that are a lot weaker/lower level than others yet trying their best to hunt these bosses?
    Spend hours finding one just for it to be stolen away by someone popping in and out.

I understand that the current system in regard to area bosses is not ideal, but I can already envision a big increase in reports and toxicity being generated through a change a such.
    These are just my personal concerns, I think I should be able to voice those without bringing a different alternative to the table.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  11. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I was quite literally criticising your suggestion. Removing mapowner would lead to ksing, which is also not exactly ideal.
    You can say it's moreso a flaw of toxic behavior from players, but rules are in place to prevent toxic behavior from players.

That said, I agree the current system is far from perfect. This is not the solution though, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    You consider these disadvantages unhealthy? I consider them healthy. Furthermore, they are already disadvantaged significantly by stronger players with an army of alts preventing them from getting maps at all without showing up hours in advance.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    You are calling it KSing when it explicitly would not be per my suggestion. A gross and thorough mischaraterization. More talking circles around the issue instead of engaging with my actual suggestion.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I already told you it would still be ksing, what are you on about lmao? Are you implying ksing didn't exist in the original game? They didn't have mapowner, but ksing was rampant.

15. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    This is not GMS and the Terms & Conditions can change. If we redefine KSing to explicitly protect what I'm suggesting, it literally would not be. Please continue to twist my words.

• Creative Creative x 2
  16. SmellyCat

SmellyCat Orange Mushroom

Jun 9, 2021
    Bowmaster
    I am more for removing multi-client in general or at least at bosses. I feel like a lot of the issues stem from that. You’re suggestion in my opinion does not help the situation, even if you redefined kill stealing; the bad feeling’s and toxic behavior it will foster will still be there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Bro with every post you make in this thread you are convincing me more and more that you're a toxic player. There's no reason to assume you're proposing this change and discussing the replies in good faith. The current system isn't perfect, but your solution ignores many aspects that are solved with the current approach of mapowner. You have only shared your own personal view without solid backing and all you do is ignore critique and/or parry it in the most blunt unconstructive way.

GL with the suggestion

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    11:39 PM
    I'm imagining a situation where some 3rd job player wanna kill manon for 4th job progression and has been slowly killing it after camping for an hour, then some jackass 4th job player tryna hunt for some card/chair or holy shield skillbook just come in and whack the shit out of manon in secs getting the white, leaving the 3rd job player unable to progress into 4th job despite his/her genuine effort..
    Then the counterargument is yeah just do more damage or show up earlier..
    #feelsbadman
    Well this is just 1 possible scenario so take it as a grain of salt, you probably can counter argue this easily anyway :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    Harlez
    Galaxy
    Change player progression relying on area boss drops.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
  20. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    3:39 PM
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    Why make a GMs job more difficult when a quick Mapowner command and showing that the abuser is clearly breaking a rule whereas someone could ks anyway get a 3+ day(s) ban and loot the drops of the boss.

There wouldn't be any differences except a ban, more GM staff work to enforce toxic chat and kill/loot theft.

I remember a time where I had mapowner and some dude was afk on a rope the area boss was there, I killed it 100% right of way they tell me "Nice KS, no ethics." I found this quite hilarious because they genuinely thought that they were in the right of way, then the next channel the same thing happened yet I only attacked the regular monsters there and them being a level 163 at that time still never checked mapowner. They were farming scrolls all I needed were cards, if they asked me if they could take the scrolls regardless of its price I'd be alright with it since they weren't being a jerk or anything but in this case they were.

So mentioning when an area boss spawns and mapowner timer resets so that another player can attempt to grab it would just enforce more work from staff for an innocent player towards someone with cynical behavior, what I'm seeing is someone targeting someone in regards to purposefully snipe someone intentionally by waiting out a timer and snagging a map because mapowner resets the second an area boss spawns, some players might have terrible internet (myself) and get sniped by such a redundant change to mapowner that people might not find it enjoyable and leave the server which I'm sure no one really wants.

Another thing to note is there was a bug with mapowner towards attacking an area boss somewhat around a year ago? That if you only attacked the area boss and not have killed a monster in that map you wouldn't have mapowner, when this happened someone came into the map that I was in killed a regular monster and grabbed ownership while I was chipping the area bosses's hp.. nowadays its fixed to even if you hit an area boss, it would give you ownership of the map regardless of killing something or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.