1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make all cash items gender neutral.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Joy Celeste, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Joy Celeste

Joy Celeste Mushmom

Nov 11, 2021
    Female
    12:05 AM
    Celeste
    It's 2022!! Let my female character wear a suit! :( Inspired because I was sad my boss lady mule couldn't wear a suit.

I'm not sure about hairs/faces; but for now, this suggestion is only for cosmetic clothes.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:05 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
  3. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    Theres other private servers thats v.62 that have nonbinary hair and NX outfits so.. why not the same for MapleLegends?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Joy Celeste

Joy Celeste Mushmom

Nov 11, 2021
    Female
    Celeste
  5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:05 AM
    Moderator Post
    Okay so the way genders work in MapleStory is that they are hardcoded by item ID. The reason why new servers have less trouble doing this over old servers is that nobody has any of these items yet. For us, however, a lot of people do, and transferring all those items to a different ID is not only very time-consuming on a massive database, but also risky if you make ID mistakes or other things.

I am not sure if it can be made "easier" now with client editing, but this is what the problem was (ex: my reply in that thread) in the past.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Joy Celeste

Joy Celeste Mushmom

Nov 11, 2021
    Female
    Celeste
    KimberlyKimberly - I thought about this a little more given your response, and I have a potential compromise solution:
    • Create gender-neutral versions of existing gender-locked cash items with new IDs.
    • Replace all gender-locked cash items in the CS with these new item IDs, so all newly-bought items are gender neutral. Old items remain gender-locked. Old items with an expiry date will eventually expire as usual.
    • Ensure all new cash items in the future are gender-neutral.
    This way, there's no risk of screwing up the DB update. Alas, the only people left out are donor-bought cash items, but at least it reduces the scope of the problem to a much smaller subset of items (all permanent, gender-locked cash items) if you wish to resolve by DB update.

That said, my thought would be that at time of purchase, a player should have understood already the item is gender-locked and there was nothing stating that in an event something like this happened, that they would be guaranteed a new copy in gender-neutral form; if they wanted it to be not gender-locked, they would just need to buy a new one. Alternatively, gift players with permanent gender-locked items with a permanent gender-neutral version. That's another non-destructive way to resolve the issue, if you don't mind gifting free items.

7. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I don't think you realize how much more space will be in our data files if all gender items will be duplicated. The only way to get out of this is with possible client edits, but I got no info for now if that's a possible approach we can take, but there won't be any hacky approaches done.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    3:05 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    I think you can wear a female nx on a male character (vis versa) if you buy it on a male/female character then transfer it over from cashshop storage?

I heard this from someone else, correct me if this doesnt work

9. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    Just tested it made a new character as a male bought a Vibrant Yellow Dress (Female) relogged swapped over and the nx cover doesn't let you equip it.

No notifications about gender just doesn't do anything.

10. sheepes

sheepes Mushmom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    sheepes
    Chief Bandit
    What about if we request specific equips to be made gender neutral? So that it can be implemented for a handful of items in the eventual *cough* CashShop update?

11. Spectree

Spectree Horny Mushroom

Jun 14, 2022
    3:05 PM
    How about duplicating only a few popular equips. We can have votes on the forum to decide which ones are popular.

12. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    No. If we add unisex support it will be by client edits.