1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you boss?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ovv, Jul 25, 2022.

1. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    8:23 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    well man multimage was here in the past, but no one did it, it wasn't known by ML's community. if theres a discrepancy nowadays, before it was even higher, probably, cuz there weren't PCs, right?

also, if money = exp, you should also consider your character will be making more money than the amount you have stated if its not 200 yet.

besides, we can't compare a single client guy bossing on HT daily with 10 mages farming at same time. it's broken and we all know that. we shouldnt compare a casual guy with someone aiming to perfect gears asap. the last one will be deciding for extreme ways to play to reach his goal. its like, the goal to have perfect gears isnt common for everyone. im guessing a casual player wont think about getting a perfect weapon in few months, so maybe thats not the kind of math he will be doing on his free time, and it means thats useless for a lot of players.

im curious to know exactly whats your point with this thread. its like a curiosity or do u want to suggest something? i mean, probably you got ur answers: many just boss for fun, or the community aspect, and money come in a second place, alright. if you are wanting to suggest a bossing money buff or nerf on mage farming, i agree with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    4:23 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This is simply a discussion thread. Seeing other people’s responses is insightful because it’s far too easy to fall into a bubble.

I personally would like to see a buff on the rate of individual progress via bossing as it seems the gap has widened significantly with increasing prices. A perfect weapon used to be about 6b back in 2020 when bossing wages were a fair bit higher.
    I’d also personally like to see more incentivized main character play rather than leechstory even past bossing levels, which is growingly popular these days due to what mage farming can produce.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    we had a good update here... prestigious coins came to solve the bossing being unprofitable and also to increase the amount of ws/cs on market. but prices went even higher after that. why exactly?

4. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    7:23 PM
    increased demand from non-old players. They want prestigious coins to finish their weapon/CS something.
    Decreased available supply.
    Volatility. People who buy off tons of coins at high prices in one shot, leading to increase in prices.

5. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    This summarizes my bossing experience, tho I don't do HT n PB

I view ML as a social hangout game, where i chill with guildies and friends.
    going for bossing is like going with irl friends for dinner. if the social experience isnt there, i don't see any strong reason for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    i dont really believe that, but its a possibility. i dont think so because i feel like we have really low number of players actively playing right now, so shouldnt be a crescent thing to make it increase that much.

7. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    u selling ur coins? I am not selling because i am accumulating them to WS/CS my cape. The population is top heavy and everyone in the top and further top needs coins and aint really selling them (listing them for 4+m ea isnt selling). i do agree with ur feels abt the low no. of active players.

8. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    People are hoarding coins to either ws their timeless weapons which now demand a greater overall number of white scrolls to finish, or they're hoarding them to directly buy high ticket items off the market. The hoarding problem was never addressed with the implementation of prestigious coins, and there was an unnecessary coin tax attributed to conversion of white scrolls/chaos scrolls into coins.

The demand for ws/cs and now prestigious coins/pouches will only ever go up as the server ages. Mesos are simply a means to accumulate more coins.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    1:23 PM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    1. What type of player would you classify yourself as? (Casual, Sweaty, In-Between)
    Casual
    2. What types of bosses do you run, and why?
    I tried Mano but he fcked me up. I don't really boss anymore but I did alot of Ravana, Papulatus, Zakum and CWOK sometimes.
    I do rav, pap for easy money and easy exp. It's can get you to 155 quite easily if you run them 2 times daily. Zakum and CWOK I run when a run is hosted when I am available. I don't search for them nor host them myself.
    They are fun bossess. I don't care about the money or exp.

So just for fun / change of pace

3. Do you also participate in mage farming/multimage farming?
    Goby Farming. Beats multimage by a tenfold.
    4. Leave any other comments/thoughts regarding this topic.
    I don't want to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    1. What type of player would you classify yourself as? (Casual, Sweaty, In-Between)
    Retired sweaty
    2. What types of bosses do you run, and why?
    Pink Bean as it`s good m/h and statues fase is challenging with mount iframe. Also, looking foward to get experienced in getting iframes on body to dodge sed musical notes.
    HT once in a blue moon to test dpm. If i had more time to play, i`d run more often for the pride of getting higher dpms, but not daily for sure. Looking foward to HT on my future NL as it`s worth before 200 in terms of exp + meso.
    Jiaoceng I solo a couple times every week to get coins and drops. Usually i get around 12-14m mesos every 2 jcs. When my NL gets ready to solo it, gonna be pog exp too.

3. Do you also participate in mage farming/multimage farming?
    I sold a lot of duo mage 5-6 leech, but i`m retired for now so i didn`t upgrade to octamage setup.

4. Leave any other comments/thoughts regarding this topic.
    I hope bossing gets buffed a bit.

11. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    im not selling cuz im not buying anything, but I also almost never get coins since i dont boss much now. i just think the number of ppl needing coins didnt change much from last year to now. we are talking about a increase on demand that would justify prices arouns 50% higher, even after a prestigious coins system implemented.

besides that, not only ws/cs prices went higher, which makes me believe even more it's not about the higher demand on ws/cs, but a meso making problem instead. when everyone used to leech to make mesos, we couldnt get those 40~50m/h rates. maybe something close to 40 if you had lv200s with echo and good int gears to leech at 5/6.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    While the number of people might not have changed, their goals might have. This game is designed to point you towards higher and higher goals the longer you play. There is never a situation where a player cannot benefit from having and using a white scroll or chaos scroll, but I'd hazard a guess that in the past, there were fewer players that opted into white scroll projects or risked chaos scrolling and instead opted to sell them into market. However, with the prestigious coin change, the transferability of ws/cs was shot down and a tax was added, thus incentivizing people to either hoard or use on their own.

The growing popularity of timeless weapons also directly added to white scroll demand. Finishing +5 level 100 weapons, +4 dragon weapons or +2/3 NT weapons required fewer white scrolls, but some people are WS+10-ing their well leveled timeless weapons at +0. This just creates a natural demand for more white scrolls, keeping people in their scrolling project for much longer than before.

We're just at that point in the server where more and more people are looking to upgrade their gear beyond their mid-tier level gear. I'd guess that we're eventually going to see things like 14 attack gloves fall back to their 200m price range as more people shoot for white scrolling their 12/3 or 8/5 gloves.

Yes, printing mesos into the economy does not help, and the increased cost of end-game goods is definitely in part due to increased wages leading to more competitive buyers, but the influx of mesos have also falsely propped up the market-related bossing economy as well. Without billions of mesos circulating around the high level community from multimaging, do you think pink bean goods would be worth their current meso value today? If FS and MW30 dropped to 1b-1.5b with their current drop rates, would people keep running?

13. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    its hard to assume things like this. like, how do you know the amount of people trying to ws timeless weapon raised (compared to like 6 months ago), or that theyre trying to ws their 12/3 or 8/5 gloves now? afaik, there werent a 8/5 for months in the market, then like 2 appeared (?), and i didnt see a 12/3 for really long, personally speaking.

i mean, i just wanted to threw some thoughts, just wanted to consider some possibilities about whats going on. im not sure about what you said.

and you talk like PCs made ws/cs market worse, but i dont agree with that. people who are gachaing ws/cs do the same as before (if they need, they keep. else, they sell). and about PCs, they are a bonus, so it in any way could make things worse than before, at least in my point of view. maybe the tax thing deserves some attention, i agree on that.

and about ur last question, i doubt it would happens with fs/mw30 for long time. i dont think they will ever be that cheap.

14. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The last bit is actually the crux of the argument - if wages are not as high, would there still be enough buy pressure to keep prices up? Zoom out over a year as more people get into Pink Bean levels, more groups form, and more FS and MW30s enter the market. Would groups start undercutting until they can sell and payout their runners to incentivize their next week's run?

15. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    in my opinion there will always exist buyers enough to pay something close to what is right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yes, that’s with current rates of inflation and multimaging wages in mind. But imagine if overnight wages were magically reverted to ulu2 wages. Theoretically, do you think there would be enough people generating 2-2.5b mesos week after week? What happens when there are two mw30s on the market but only one buyer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    even before multimage meta started to be a relevant thing, ppl were already buying fs and mws like theres no tomorrow.

mw20 is 250m since 2 years ago at least, that was when i started. why u think a much rarer item will lose value? same thing for fs, the most op shoes in the game...

if 2 mw30 on market and 1 buyer just wait him fail first and sell the second one :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yeah, but it takes them almost 200 hours of ulu2 farming to generate enough funds for the next purchase. You waiting that long?

19. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:23 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    reverting all wages to ulu2 doesn't change inflation rates in the long run. current rates of inflation also doesnt seem that bad compared to 2017-8 or (stories of) 2016 and is a direct byproduct of our demographic trends.

Edit: inflation is the change in price of a basket of goods. WS going from 120m-160m in 6 months is equal to WS going from 300m-400m in the same time. What really matters is WS generated per hour & a one time drop in wages probably won't make any effective change in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm not actually suggesting that wages should be nerfed down that much. I'm just exemplifying how current PB viability might possibly be propped up as an economic boss due to the increased wages from these multimaging strategies. People are able to pay for luxury/expensive goods because they have the buying power. Would have buying trends for Pink Bean goods changed had it not been for an influx of wages over the past year? This is all speculation of course, but it's interesting to think about when people talk about multimage/mage farming nerfs all around.

What is the pain tolerance for how low PB expected value can get before runners stop running?