1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Anniversary/Summer Event 2022 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    2:22 AM
    Bishop
    -
    Not if you're using Grilled Cheese [ Cost 500 Mesos , Heals 500 HP & MP

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. firstwolf

firstwolf Slime

Jul 3, 2020
    1:22 PM
    firstwolf
    Magician

Motto, you’re ignoring what players are saying and you’re strawmanning/cherry picking arguments. Players between levels 90-120 are telling you that they already cannot afford these potions even with existing inflated meso value. This isn’t a hypothetical. It’s been like this since the last anniversary event. This patch is seriously going to harm players between those levels.

1. This patch is taking extreme deflationary measures which is going to reduce income gross income for players. Players without consistent income are going to suffer here.

Yes, players still have options to get meso from merching gach, NPCing weapons and merching quest rewards but they can’t do that if they don’t have potions.

Please tell me what you are recommending players do between levels 90-119 for consistent income. I can almost guarantee it won’t be enough to offset potion costs for Barbarian/Mana Elixirs for most players in the amount of time spent.

Leading me to…

2. All of your proposed work-arounds to this problem are frustrating early game players in very basic ways. Your stated philosophy for potions absolutely makes sense and is correct: one potion shouldn’t be the “be all and end all” and that players should utilize all systems and items. This is accurate. No one disagrees with this.

You’re invalidating this by proposing players rely on systems that do not alleviate the source of their problems. It’s a cop out at best and intentionally dishonest at worst.

Telling players to train at lower level training grounds to avoid using pots only exasperates their training curve preventing them from earning better income in the future faster. Telling players to farm power elixirs and farm potions also contributes to this. You’re going to end up spending equal time farming potions AND training without adjustments to how potions are earned and dropped.

Telling players to rely on Weapon Defense, player HP, and job strengths is a GREAT idea and one I support. Unfortunately, no changes have been made to these systems in this patch. Mobs are still going to hit just as hard as they were a week ago. Skills are still going to cost as much MP as they did a week ago.

Your arguments have basically boiled down to, “git gud” which is NOTICEABLY frustrating to new players when you’re also championing the correct game philosophy about potions in the same sentence.

I have to ask (as politely as possible) do you understand why there’s a large chunk of new players in those levels who are upset with these changes? It really seems like you aren’t.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. firstwolf

firstwolf Slime

Jul 3, 2020
    1:22 PM
    firstwolf
    Magician
    None of that is CONSISTENT income though Winnie.

Its all highly variable in terms of how much meso you can earn on a given day. Not everyone has time in a week to waste multiple days on the chance that they might get enough meso for potions.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  4. Megic

Megic Orange Mushroom

Aug 13, 2022
    Male
    8:22 PM
    Megic
    Beginner
    Clicking 4 times each hit i get on a pot like a robot (btw im sure everyone will missclick 50% of the time and heal more than they should) doesnt a good method and better not play at all than relying on lvl 30 pots at lvl 100, this does not fit mages. (else you enjoy pressing 4 times on a button each time you get hit for what like tens of hours? i dont think its fun to anybody) i better buy 40% and at least chill while training this is supposed to be fun.
    i think its less stressful to play horntail/zakum than training with your pots method.

btw all that saves me what? 600 mesos per pot? better buy 40% and lose mesos than playing like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    12:07 AM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    This isn't a non-issue. Having to spam grilled cheese or barbs AND elixirs while training at gallos (also having to teleport down and pick items/mesos up and spam pots to pick up said items) or wherever is kind of debilitating and negatively affects one's grind session. This would be a anti-qol update for 3rd job grinders.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    Bishop
    -
    Hello , please try the patch first and there's always time to make a suggestion if there's something need to be done , balance changes is not permanent . Things can get reverted . This player Megic is clearly new , lacking the knowledge and assuming everybody that is "against" his point is a hardcore player.

I do understand that this change will hurt newer player especially those that did not play the game the 'Meta' way.
    We have alot of information now compare to when Maple first release & keep in mind this isn't vanilla Maplestory. It's easier.

As long as you're doing things right you should offset the potion cost and likely to profit (I'm only talking potion not Ammo)
    Progression is not easy with how everything is inflated , even I as someone who played for 2 years+ find it hard to progress my equips. I am extremely casual player with 0~3hrs playtime a week
    This Megic person actually assumes i'm Lv200 & extremely hardcore player SMH + Majority of the playerbase is nice

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    Bishop
    -
    80% damage onto MP , 20% onto HP . If you get hit 2000 , you only deduct 400 HP = 1 Grill Cheese

I End my Case

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  8. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    7:22 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Cause even pre-patch the pot was a waste on you.
    More reasons for you to not use it after patch.

How hard can it get to understand this?

Thanks, at least I'm not, so you don't have to be this autistic to not understand simple English and numbers.
    + I have the freedom of speech that Staff can't have while being the face of the server.

Maybe use your brain and start reading what I say, there are other pots for HP you can use, that give more HP than what you even have as a dumb mage.

~~

How can the inflated meso value impact their revenue from mob farming, in relation to pots costing a fixed price?

Pots aren't fluctuating through market inflation day-by-day like equips and scrolls.

If in a map you made 3m/hr meso profit, you're still going to produce 3m/hr profit after this change., the only impact on that profit will be a slight increase in pot prices, if you're using incorrect ones.

I've grinded with mages and have seen this first-hand during lvl 90-120 when grinding at gallos and later on farming viks for scrolls (mesos).
    It makes no sense to consume bucket loads of mesos to fill MP when I can just downgrade the pots to something cheaper and gain what I've lost before-hand on "better" pots.

Ok then, you're below lvl 120.

- Are you a class that isn't a mage?
    Ok then get Grilled Cheese, Cherry Pies & Supreme Pizzas.
    Cheese could be a good option too.
    As always.

- Are you a mage?
    Then start buying Cherry pies, Sorcerer Elixirs, farm Elixirs (yes) and Power Elixirs (tbh just sell these for a boost in income).

No income is stable enough in this game.
    This is not your wagecuck job you do 9-5.

Here you go in a map, bash mobs and hope the RNG makes them drop equips, good or trash (good ones maybe you can sell in FM), same with the RNG of scroll drops, and same with the RNG of gacha.
    Oh yeah, mesos have an RNG of "range" between a min/max value that's being dropped.

So, even if you farm 1 hour in a map, your income might be X.
    The hour after your income might be X*0.9
    The hour after maybe X*1.1
    The hour after maybe, given the gacha you rolled you got X*2.

Nothing is consistent in this game, else the market and influx of mesos, equips and items in the market would be consistent in time.

There are highs/lows in regards to supply of certain items, which might provoke a short-term demand shock (increasing in price the existing items), or maybe some retard has been stockpiling 5000 of the same scroll and then floods the market, making shit cheap... but tbh he'll just control the market for that item.
    But here I digress into Maple economy, which is not the point of this thread...

You can train at higher level grounds, by using cheaper pots, did this even cross your brain, or where you too slow to understand this part of the convo I was trying to give Megic?
    He can train at Gallos, with cheaper pots.
    So what?

If he right now is sweating balls for clicking a pot every so often, and then bitches about the fact he doesn't want to click pots continuously.

Come back when you do a boss, not as a Shad ofc, but as a ranged class or as a warrior.
    You're basically clicking skills + pots every single time you get hit.
    + the pots to fill MP at times

~~

And, as per Winnie said :

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:22 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I haven’t heard of 3rd jobber complaints since 2020 when people were actively complaining they were making too much mesos and exp at CDs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Megic

Megic Orange Mushroom

Aug 13, 2022
    Male
    Megic
    Beginner
    your calculation is wrong, 1600MP != 500 how can you use 1? thats a troll..
    you need to use 3 and you are getting hit so fast that you lose balance on how much you have used..
    maybe none is good enough like you to use it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  11. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Just some quick thoughts as a still lightly washed player, who mostly HP pot (honster) once every 2 hit on HT.

I kinda estimate myself to be using 300 honster, 150 sorc, 200 ACP, 21 Cider, which are like at least 2+ m a single HT run. And arrows which I dont count since it is class specfic.

WTF? Doesn't this pot cost change basically means a guarantee loss for a HT run with any big drops? I am pretty sure I get plenty of runs (2 HT) ended up with less than 6m splits.

Edit:
    And if you are lightly washed and basically need to pot every HT hit. The pot cost is just getting LOL at this moment already.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    Bishop
    -
    Did i tell you to use Grilled cheese for MP ? No
    Did i tell say White potion is Inefficient ? Yes , so use ur brain a little... instead of using white potion USE GRILLED CHEEEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I CAN'T STAND STUUUUUUUP.. NVM
    I shall unwatch this thread Goodbye

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Megic

Megic Orange Mushroom

Aug 13, 2022
    Male
    Megic
    Beginner
    never cared less about hp pots (white pots are totally fine for the 100th time), why are you keep mentioning it when we are talking about it? you are the one who cant understand a single thing out of 20 messages, your maplestory pot skills are lacking some knowledge and all of your tips are totally wrong.. please dont help me and leave it for the gms to get their own reports and calculations..
    never cared about the hp pots (always said in this thread white pots are enough).. was talking about the mana ones. (for other classes my claims fits that grilled cheese arent a "fun" meta altough it can cost less you are right.. none will use 3-4 pots every hit its losing the fun of playing the game, feels like never ending pinkbean run.)
    You and Motto should speak together because seems like you are having a hard time to read and you can take a course together to improve your reading and understanding skills maybe youll get a good price for a course if youll join as duo package, seems like your level of understanding matches.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Yes, I talked about MP pots on various posts, but seems like the retard is not me (thanks for the compliment though, has been over a year and half since I last heard it on forum) , but someone else...

Dare I think who it is in this 2-way chat we are having?

15. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    u nerds are gonna get this thread locked

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Alrighty, that's enough with the discussion with you three. Not taking any sides, but let's just wait until the patch is done and then we all can change "assumptions" to "facts"!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:22 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! Patch day, particularly with the huge patch, is always quite busy, which is why we haven't had the time to respond as frequently as we generally do with our other balance change patch notes. THAT SAID, while we haven't had the time to respond, we are actively keeping up with the conversation here as well as in various discords, and will also CONTINUE to do so once the patch is live.

In the meantime though, we'd just like to remind everyone just how long our change list is. This means hyper fixating on one specific change and looking at it in a vacuum might not be the best way to interpret the patch notes. A big concern we've definitely seen is how the potion cost changes will affect lower level or newer players. While the base cost for grinding might have increased with higher potion costs, a number things must also be considered:
    • As mentioned by players, alternatives to % potions could help mitigate the cost burden
    • There are counter balancing changes that should increase the baseline income for grinding as well:
      • Summoning rocks, Magic rocks, all cure potions, are all quite common drops amongst mobs. As we increased the NPC purchase price for these items, the resell price should also increase. So if previously you were getting 50 summon/magic rocks per grinding session and sold it in the FM at the same price (5,000 ea), you would have netted 250,000 mesos. With the new changes, once the market adjusts the same 50 summon/magic rocks when sold at 7,500 ea would net you a 375,000 mesos.
      • Additionally, with our drop table changes, players should be able to grind for valuable scrolls in a more targeted manner, rather than hoping for the Gachapon RNG gods to bless them.
    • We have major changes in the pipeline scheduled for the nearTM future that should help with the early game (3rd job) as well:
      • HP washing rework/change/solution
      • PQ changes
      • Defense changes
    Of course, while these are things we suggest users to consider as well, we are by no means denying the validity of player's concerns. But it just might be possible that in practice, the concerns might not be as huge as users expect them to be. Vice versa of course, the counterbalancing considerations might not be as effective as we, the staff team, thought. Bottomline is that we hope players are patient enough to not immediately jump to conclusions, before trying out the changes first hand.

Also, please refrain from beating the dead horse and using this thread to argue with each other. We're all for civil discussion, but when multiple pages of the thread are dedicated to the same "x" number of people talking about the exact same topic, we suggest you to go to DMs.

Edit: washing "rework" might be misleading, so more words added to avoid confusion

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I was going to complain about staff not including the community at large enough into upcoming changes but I get it now, thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    11:22 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I'd like to also point out that selling fame is free, farming scrolls from low level mobs is very cheap (that's something MapleStory got right with progression, you can get valuable scrolls as early as level 20 or 30), and the FM system is so bad and inefficient that virtually anyone can make arbitrage with a bit of time and effort. Hell, people have made billions of mesos just reselling NLC pots straight from the NPC in the FM. With the changes to pot costs, now you'll probably be able to make even more money selling Elixirs, Power Elixirs, ACPs, Dews... If you literally just want to make a few mill per hour and cover potion costs doing it, there's loads of ways to do so easily at any stage in the game on virtually any character.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Aside from the new players or what not. Staffs really need to take a look at the pot cost for the lightly washed ~13k hp late game casual players who just run some NT bossing content with their friends every day, with a HT or two on the weekends.

Basically, if you need to pot honster at boss every (other) hit, your income is fked with the current bossing income.

I think it is fair to increase the MP pot cost for the mages since their farm is insane anyway :rolleyes:
    But such increases for HP pot really fks some casual bossers really really hard, especially if you are on a dry bossing streak.

• Agree Agree x 2