1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Anniversary/Summer Event 2022 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    4:20 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Look at what Nise said.
    Defence changes will most likely help mitigate problems at mid-end game.
    If these changes are relative to the formulas for which DMG taken is calculated.

It will be glorious.
    I've posted about this issue eons ago and tbh, a good chunk of "HP washing" needed can be mitigated with better W.Def and M.Def formulas.

2. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:20 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    With the general response out of the way, just a few direct responses to some things that caught my eye:

I think this is a very interesting idea, but there definitely are a few major factors that need to be considered too:
    • Events always affect player activity, player retention, and meso generation. Meaning we can't accurately say the result is due to a singular cause.
    • Not just events, but the time of the year also tends to affect retention too. For example, in the UK, universities go on break till sept/oct, which would also effect reduced player retention.
    • It's extremely difficult to just arbitrarily divide % of income/outcome between veteran players and new players. Every player has a different level of commitment to the game. Veteran A can play for 12 hours a day. Veteran B can play for 2 hours a week. Same thing for new players. And the efficiency at which they play also vary highly.
    • There is also the difficulty with regards to how one would define "veteran" and "new".

There are definitely players that are upset with these changes, but it is difficult to ascertain the following:
    • Whether it is really a "large chunk". The vocal minority always exists, and it is especially those who are the most upset that will also be more likely to communicate such discontent. While those who are indifferent or positive towards the changes, are less likely to express it publicly on the forums too.
    • What percentage of these vocal players are actually "new players in those levels". There are always those who get mad on behalf of someone else, even though the person themselves did not feel offended or wronged.
    • Whether these changes will actually affect players as predicted (see my previous post for more detailed explanation for this part).
    While I am not denying there is a legitimate concern, the degree of the concern and how prevalent it is, could be a tad bit overexaggerated if we're only looking at what is being explicitly communicated.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. wolf666

wolf666 Timer

Mar 22, 2020
    Male
    10:20 AM
    Wolf
    Shadower
    Maybe after we get the necessary data, if the pot prices are too detrimental for new players (personally I think they will be fine). Perhaps create a low level (10-119 or whatever level staff deems appropriate) NLC pot vendor called Niki (Miki's sister) that sells untradeable pots that's higher price than the original NLC pots but lower than the revamped prices. Just food for thought.

• Creative Creative x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    10:20 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Yes. That day will be glorious.

But as of this patch, right now. Some groups of casual player who doesn't multi mage, who doesn't mage farm, are gonna get hurt real bad with the HP pot changes.
    I even have friends who have to double pot honster in HT on 1/1 when they dont have HB.

I have no objecting for whatever pot price manabulls become, those mages just got to loot harder.
    But honster are pretty much bread and butter for a lot of the casual players, I dont see why we need to sink meso for such a group of players.
    Not like those mages use much of the honster anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. XiannvTeng02

XiannvTeng02 Red Snail

Jul 29, 2020
    Male
    Beginner
    Edit: Problem solved - it has been added pre-patch. Tqq!
    Hello :) Not sure if it was mentioned already but,
    I don't see claw att 30 in the list - maybe it was left out unintentionally, but I do find in ML library that 2 types of mob drop it? Could use some clarification here please. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. raysinz5

raysinz5 Mr. Anchor

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    I/L Mage
    Nightghosts/Firetusks dropped it prepatch. So there's no need to add them to other mobs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Only thing missing I guess is the 70s

8. firstwolf

firstwolf Slime

Jul 3, 2020
    9:20 AM
    firstwolf
    Magician
    I think by now it’s fairly evident that most staff and ML veterans aren’t aware of the difficulty curve new players are experiencing going from third to fourth job.

If you’re interested in sharing your experiences as a new player between third and fourth job please DM me on the forums. I’m looking into putting together a series of interviews and polls regarding the issue.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    We all went through this...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    7:20 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Staff are aware of these issues but we decided to tackle some other ones first (hp washing, class reworks) before this due to prioritization. We only have 1 developer at the moment (the talented PastaPasta ) so there's only so much we can ask him to do each patch, not even counting the event planning...

For me personally since NT2/Auf is finally out, I'm thinking about taking this on after the next few projects are launched (namely the HP washing one), so please feel free to make this thread with interviews and polls and I'd love to see the data! I've gone through 3rd job before and it's definitely a painful experience

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. firstwolf

firstwolf Slime

Jul 3, 2020
    firstwolf
    Magician

Thanks for the continued hard work on supporting the game! NT2 was not an easy task I’m happy to finally have a chance at playing it for the first time ever.

My intentions are to create a forum thread about this too but there are more thorough questions that I’d like to ask and I want to make sure they’re answered thoroughly.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  12. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    Just a small observation...

This is a community playing a game based on a client from like 15 years ago, run by volunteers for no personal gain of their own. The entitlement and victim mentality of some people in the community is honestly baffling.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    5:20 PM
    For anyone out there who's a new player or thinking of starting Maple Legends, please do not be feared by the chaos some people create over here just because some pots are a bit more "expensive."

As a semi-new player, I've been able to spend an OK amount of time to make enough mesos, farm some gear, and even buy leech for some levels later on.
    I understand that the in-game inflation is a very big problem and precautions should be taken for this. Therefore, I find these solutions quite viable.

Thank you to all of the staff who are taking their times to make this experience even better than what it was. And thank you again for being humble during this, quite appreciated. <3

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. bread289

bread289 Mano

Jul 12, 2022
    5:20 PM
  15. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Honestly the pot changes aren’t so terribly bad that the game will be unplayable by any means. Barb elixirs are still at 1:1, and sorc elixirs are at 1:1.6 after this. Coke Zero pills will probably be more used as they are only 1.2m per 100 stack vs ciders which are going to be prohibitively expensive unless you are training at Taipei or are at the point you can do Zakum. This is a painful change for players that are grinding their washed characters as every point of watk really does matter even with funding, but unwashed or light washed characters should be fine with czps.

The main content that I expect to be drastically affected is early bossing and some late 3rd job spots with strong mobs like gallos. Running Papulatus, ravana, and Bigfoot with friends in 2-3 man groups I never really made any money, usually I would just barely break even. Now it’s going to be a guaranteed meso loss unless we bring someone strong to carry it quickly.

On my marksman I never really made that much money at gallos but I doubt the changes are enough to make it meso negative, just really bad.

Star changes just seem like the absolute worst tbh. Outlaws will be fine because from 70-120 they will use blaze and glaze capsules which are useless outside of that range so they are still cheap. But I can’t imagine grinding as a washed sin and being taxed 300k every 10k stars just for existing. You don’t really have the choice to use worse stars than ilbis when your damage is already so bad. Magestory increasingly seems to be the only good option for players wanting to get to endgame. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just that an already sour deal has become even more so. The small number of players that endure all the voting and grinding and make it to bossing levels is likely going to be even smaller.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. kippp3

kippp3 Red Snail

Mar 29, 2020
    3:20 PM
    Thanks for all the hard work. I can understand ciders being 10k each but recharging stars being so expensive is gonna hurt. I got a level 7x sin training at CDs and it seems that instead of making mesos I'll be losing it if I grind there since I use Ilbis and ciders

However as you've said it's better to try these things out first before whining which I couldn't help myself from doing lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Oolong

Oolong Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    idk i think popping in on unsuspected friends on gm char to seduce them is a pretty nice personal gain devilmush

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    In that case I'd strongly recommend switching away from cider to coke pills. You'll still be hitting like a truck, but the cost should be notably less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just a quick question - how exactly are you running ravana and bigfoot that you are incurring pot expense? Unless you're needlessly tanking damage from these guys, you could probably get away with using zero hp potions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    3:20 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    I'm definitely bad at math but help me understand what conclusion are you arriving there, because to me it goes like this (assuming the player has 7k MP):

2800MP for 2100 meso per pot results in 0.75 meso/mp (2100/2800) - Lower price per MP gained (better)
    1500MP for 1500 meso per pot results in 1 meso/mp (1500/1500 ) - Higher price per MP gained (worse)

How is the latter a better choice, if, in both cases, the player does not trigger the pot usage above the threshold (4200 MP if using the 40% pot, 5500MP if using the 1500MP pot)?

In this case he's hunting Galloperas (?) which, IIRC, don't ever hit hard enough that he would need to be above 4200 MP at any time.

What am I missing here?

Regardless (and this is my Maple-philosophy), if "Megic" is losing mesos on regular grind/farm, why not try going to weaker monsters that go easier on the pots? There's zero obligation to stay at Galloperas, unless it's all about leveling as fast as possible, which in some cases it can and will result in lost mesos in exchange for faster exp.

In the end it's all about deciding what kind of playstyle one wants.
    I believe that currently, and even after-patch, this game still allows plenty of freedom playstyle-wise especially if you don't pay attention to the more hardcore players that care too much about min-maxing.

• Like Like x 1