1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Knight Buffing Ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MoonFire1211, Aug 19, 2022.

1. MoonFire1211

MoonFire1211 Mano

Aug 19, 2022
    Male
    4:18 AM
    Hi everyone, first time posting here. I was reading some other DK suggestion threads and have a few ideas. I'm posting here because I think they are quite different so I'm posting in a new thread. I have a low-level DK and I don't main a DK so please excuse me if some of these ideas are bad or already discussed previously...

Here we go:
    1. Zerking: I don't like constantly having low HP and being away from main party and I often feel bad seeing DKs doing so when bossing with them. The recent shad buff gave me an idea. Similar to shad when you get a buff when you stay in DS for 12 secs, what if you get a damage buff for x seconds when your hp dips below a threshold (for example, when your hp gets below 50%, you get a 100% damage buff for 15 seconds, if you stay below 50%, the buff is capped at 15 secs. When you go above 50%, the buff starts counting down to 0. It goes back to 15 secs when you go below 50% again. You get this buff all the time if the boss hits >15k.) This does not eliminate the risk of having to have low hp, but now just not all the time. The bishop can heal you but you need to go low hp once in a while so you still have that risk-factor as the class identity. (By the way, I have a mixed feeling about the recent zerk balance change. I'm happy you still get some damage for going above 50%. I'm a little upset that now some people might expect DK to perform at at lower hp threshold. I know 5 or 10% damage you get going below 50% is probably nothing but it makes the class a little harder to play if you are competitive and if you want to do as much damage as your class/personal skill allows you)
    2. Let's make zerk a party buff while we are at it. Of course the number will be adjusted for the team members. It may be similar to dark aura from a later class. Paladins have threaten and Heros have rage..so I think this will be a great offensive party utility for DKs.
    3. Defense: DKs can have 30k hp easily so another way to improve survivability is through defense. I think buffing the 2nd job skill Iron Will to provide % damage reduction for the party can do this job. No overlap with bless or other +defense skills. Again nothing crazy on the numbers (like 10-20%?). To balance it out with elemental resistance from 3rd job, maybe just physical % damage reduction for iron will? Heros and Paladins have power guard so I don't think a buff to iron will is too much to ask?
    4. Dragon Blood: This is imo one of DK's iconic skills I remember from childhood. Back then almost every DK I walked past by had this effect on them. I like the effect of this skill but sadly it overlaps with attack potions. While I don't want to mess with the attack stat, maybe we can add another source of attack buff to this skill like a small crit (like 5% for +10% damage?) Combined with SE this is like 10% damage buff (20% of 150% damage)? Probably nothing too crazy with the 6% damage buff from SE we have already (15% of 140% damage).
    I am not sure if these suggestions are too custom. Feel free to discuss if you have any thoughts on these ideas.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    1:18 AM
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    IMO the recent Berserk change is already a very significant buff. It's not a huge change numerically, but it's massive upgrade for QoL. It's much easier to access your primary 4th job ability in boss fights because you can slightly over-pot with barely any DPM loss, and for soft-hitting places like 7F we get a solid damage boost. Not to mention the pot cost changes are also an indirect buff to DK because now Sushi is less overpriced compared to other pots than before the patch.

That being said, the Defense rework is something that's coming Soon(tm). If DrK survivability increases from the defense changes, then they'll be so good that they'll probably overcrowd Hero's niche in the game. So, I don't think DK needs more buffs right now - especially not of the magnitude you're suggesting.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    3:18 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    A lot of these seem overcompensated. DrK could probably use some small boosts, but not anything to this level.

1: Standing away is only relevant where Bishops are actively involved. Zak is doable, just an annoyance in terms of All-Cure consumption, and your Bishop should be away from you in HT regardless unless you are the sed target. Otherwise, the class plays normally. Even adjusting HP post-Heal is not that difficult if it does happen.

2: HB is plenty useful as a party buff, even moreso than Rage and especially Threaten.

3: Giving Physical % reduction on top of passive Element and general damage reduction is a lot: it would have to be at a really small scale considering Achilles is pretty impactful as it is.

4: Crit already scales so strongly with Zerk that giving DrK base crit damage would be a ridiculous boost. I don’t see anything wrong with nostalgic skills being bad or useless: it can kill you before you add Achilles and is outclassed even by max Hex later in 4th.

The damage impact of new Zerk remains to be seen, but survivability remains the biggest hurdle at the true endgame. Make HB allow DrKs to go above the 30k cap in certain content (PB, Auf, etc, and possibly capped or off in other bosses and the general overworld) if it’s possible to code that into the game: plenty of DrKs have reached well above the 18.75k threshold since you basically are required to have that by 135 to do any semblance of comfortable bossing.

4. jc123

jc123 Brown Teddy

Jun 21, 2020
    jc43
    Warrior
    giv power

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    MoonFire1211

MoonFire1211 Mano

Aug 19, 2022
    Male
    Hi I was reading your thread and it gave me something to think about and I eventually made this thread. I agreed the changes to DK in the recent patch made zerking easier. I think my ideas are just some areas I think DK can be buffed IF we need to buff it further. Not saying the class is in a bad position (maybe it is? I dont know you tell me) right now. Had the urge to post this because I play all of my characters during the event and DK has been a little more frustrated than others to play (although it looks the coolest).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    MoonFire1211

MoonFire1211 Mano

Aug 19, 2022
    Male
    Yes I agree these buffs may be too OP lol. If people still feel underpowered with their DK after this patch, maybe we can implement a couple of these?
    1. Zerk is proabably ok as it is. I think my idea makes DK's QoL a little better than it currently is. Maybe it will increase zerk uptime if you are not very skilled like me to begin with. Also bishops can heal to their heart's content (ok except for zombify or something) and DKs dont have to stay away (easier to get buffs, less damage loss if they have walk a bit)
    2. I don't know how much people still need HB. It helps people who have not yet washed out for sure. For me I hate if I require HB to survive and the need to always have a DK in party or think about HB being dispelled. As Tarnished pointed out in his thread, for ultra-end-game groups who have 30k hp already, HB seems optional and it alone doesnt seem to justify bringing a DK.
    3. If we really want to add % damage reduction for DK, I think elemental resistance and Achilles need to have some adjustments too so it is not too overpowered. I think for defensive support this change (in addition to HB) could make DKs feel more welcomed in bossing.
    4. We can definitely adjust the numbers to make it reasonable with SE. I dont really understand how crit scales with zerk. Also I don't know this skill can kill you..maybe let it stop if you dont have sufficient hp?
    5. I agree. Survivability is the number one reason I dont like playing my DK. All of my ideas are aiming to address this issue (ok maybe I threw in some damage buffs). I think the class already doesn't have the best damage and if it is also difficult to play and has little utility, why should I play it (ok other than it looks super cool)?

7. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    3:18 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    Zerking is trivial at most bosses in the game, with manual potting to take you out of surefire kill ranges. There are certain bosses where you don't have this margin, but most bosses are not an issue and are routinely done through constant facetanking.

30k HP is not a norm currently even for the highest end bossing groups: many people washed their characters to the baseline margins and ML is not currently at a place where HB is obsolete. Perhaps it trends that way, but even that will take a bit of time.

I personally think extra % damage reduction is strictly luxury and not actually necessary. Achilles paired with Elemental Resistance is totally enough and further babying the class takes away the risk-reward nature of the class.

The issue with adding any sort of Crit to the class is that Zerk already rewards SE multiplicatively instead of additively. Adding base crit and crit damage just shoots the SE boost to the moon. DrK damage isn't great, but not to where they need something so drastic like crit. Dragon Blood will kill you if you get hit by a 1/1 skill when it procs the HP cost at the same time, which is why I would just recommend never having it active in the first place.

The reason you should play classes is because you enjoy playing them. If you don't like the risk-reward nature of the class, then that's fine: I think the balance is still a bit too heavily skewed towards the risk end over the reward, but I don't think overbuffing the class to almost baby them is the way to go. Some minor survivability adjustments and possibly a small tick up in Crusher line damage might be enough, but each one of these is overdoing it to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    10:18 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Buffing DK is hard because DK is literally Hero but worst:

-Crusher is Brandish but with a bit less vertical reach
    -Berzerk is Combo but badly designed, I get the risk-reward that people talk about but what for? to still be weaker than many classes including Hero? What is the point on making a skill with a risk when jobs that can play with a paperweight do far more dmg, more reliably, and with less risk?. Yes I know that in very specific circumstances DK can outdmg Hero but Hero gets his damage more safely and with far more tanking options.
    -DK has barely any defensive skills. You have Achilles which is ok and 500HP heals from Beholder wich are not much unless you are just AFK or just farming mobs that do low damage. Hero and Paladin have Power Guard wich reduces damage take from physical damage (the highest damage often coem from this source) by 40%, 20% if is a boss. They can be full HP. Shadower if you wash them (Do, this is how you play ML) and then you just don't get hit, and if you do you take half damage. Even NL the supposed squishy job takes damage much better than you (Washing meta).

But all that is compensated because you have HB, wich in the current meta of ML translates to: bad class, good mule. DK was my second main and now is a HB mule at PB.

Yes play the class if you like it, that is totally fine, having fun is what counts in the end. But if we want DK to be what is suposed to do, remove all support and pump up the damage a lot so they can be a glass cannon rather than just a pile of glass. The berzerk buff may have slightly increased the DPS of DK on certain bosses but the endgame is only meta as a mule. All the changes that DK needs could be considered not nostalgic so perhaps there is no fix to the class (GMS DKs no longer have Berserk for a reason).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    9:18 AM
    Interesting ideas but some of them do seem pretty custom.
    DrK is a pretty tough class to work with due to the washing meta that just diminishes their unique traits.
    Certainly would like to hear more ideas that can reinforce the DrK identity which isn't too drastic of a change from the v62 maple.

Back to the ideas:
    1) hmm, don't really know what to think about this, seems interesting tho but making sense of that low HP triggers as a buff seems hard to implement
    2) I think this might muddle into Hero again with both warriors having offensive utility. DrK skillset seem to favour defensive utility more and perhaps it is better/easier to keep their identity that way.. just gotta figure a more meaningful defensive utility.
    3) Not a bad idea to begin with and it's a rather simple change. Staff even buff up the value few patch ago but I think the main problem it has is that a flat value increase is very OP at low level gameplay but very underwhelming at high level gameplay. Even being optimistically that it's good enough, will Iron Will just end up being the new HB? hmm
    4) Active critical wouldn't stack on top of each other tho.. so this means that DrK will either have a passive crit embedded to it, or have a subpar active critical that gets overwrite by sharp eyes when an archer is around. Not really sure how critical plays into a DrK identity tho. However, I'm personally a fan of reworking Dragon Blood to do something more meaningful since it is such a unique skill that uses HP every few seconds for some benefit..

(Disclaimer: I'm speaking from my own standpoint and doesn't represent the standpoint of staff as a whole)

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    MoonFire1211

MoonFire1211 Mano

Aug 19, 2022
    Male
    Your concerns are what I worry about as I level my DK (very slowly). It is demoralizing knowing that you are going to invest time and resources into a character who won't be as useful as other classes. Even if I do enjoy DK's playstyle right now, I feel like the fun is going to be hampered as you get to high level bossing. Will people want me in bossing? Will I have to get carried by friends? Will I just be a mule? I play other "meta" classes (archer/pirate) and currently I do not feel like bringing DK to bossing over them.

11. OP
    OP
    MoonFire1211

MoonFire1211 Mano

Aug 19, 2022
    Male
    Very informative reply! Buffing Iron Will alone to add % damage reduction may just be luxury like JKNS said. For end-game 30k hp people, the difference may just be potting after 1 hit or 2 hits. While this is a good safety net for bad internet/unreliable pets, I think these players may be skilled enough so this is really just a QoL for them. Do you think this utility is strong enough secure a party slot for DKs (assuming everyone but mages has 30k HP so HB is somewhat useless (ok it may save mp pot if you also wash mp to a level you use % mp pot))?

Making zerk a party attack buff (5%-10% damage) may make DKs more comparable in damage output in single target bossing situations as you add 5%-10% of 4 other attackers to DK's damage. This justifies bringing DK over another range attacker (comparable damage and with other defensive utilities like HB and iron will). Since DKs also have cleave capability, it might be too OP but again this is the high reward you get for high-risk play. Can this be muled? Maybe, but it wont be as easy as HB since the duration for this buff can be pretty short and DK has to stay near the party to have this effect. In 6-man parties, you also have the added issue of inviting/kicking the DK every few seconds if you want to mule it..IMO not really worth the effort for a small damage increase for the party so you might as well just use the DK to attack. DK before 4th job has some defensive utilities...but once you get to 4th job, it went from defensive to high-risk/high reward due to berserk. We know the high risk there ..but what's the high reward? IMO having this party attack buff will justify the high-reward.

I threw in dragon blood there just because I like how it looks and want to make it useful. This crit, either passive or active but subpar to SE, is good idea as long as it doesn't increase DK's damage too much. Crit with dragon blood? Dragons imo are mighty and fierce creatures and are hard to kill. The skill's name is open for interpretation. It can be offensive like added crit or defensive like evading death (with a cooldown)?

If all these ideas are implemented, will DK be the most pupular class again (as I remembered it before 4th job was opened)? Likely. So maybe we can test just some of these ideas...if people are still unhappy about DK after the recent patch.

12. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    You can do the endgame bosses but you will have a hard time, most DK I've seen die so easily and burn some resurrects, mules don't die as often. Pink Bean does a lot of damage, touch is 24k dmg (20,4k with Achiles) he does with magic 18k (17.15 k with Achiles), you can keep him looking left and if you are on the back you only take 1/1, still the thing turns around and you either pot fast or die and we all know how manual potting works, especially with 30 ppl around you, also now it likes to sed a lot and lets be honest, the thing turns around even mid Snatch so keeping it looking to the left is a bit hard at times.
    NT part 1 is a piece of cake, Nameless may be a bit expensive cos you wanna take touch all the time and now pots are more expensive. NT part 2 is a mixed bag: Dunas 2 is easy and you can pin for your team, Core just get the seduces from the first part down, and on the second be ready to pot if you get kb into the core, Aufheaven is a pain in the ass, deals 19-20k touch (less than 17k with Achiles), and the tings moves a lot so you are gonna eat touch very often, the Buccaneer often takes care of the pin and you can cleave the summons but when is time to damage the boss you are not gonna have a good time.
    If anything DK is still good for HT,Zak,Toad but screw Zerking there, and the rest. Just outclassed by Hero that does what you do without having to be at half HP and in PB Paladin is the way to go when comes to warriors.
    This is why Berserk doesn't work, in certain bosses you can't do it or when you do is very inefficient risking death, if you don't Zerk your damage is terrible and if you Zerk you still do less dmg than the rest.

13. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    Simply: increase the max HP cap. Whether or not this is doable is a different thing. Give Drks the ability to earn survivability. Yes other classes have to wash, but with enough washing they dont have to worry about their survivability. Drks are unfortunately always going to be capped when the HP cap is 30k. (This is increasing scaling survivability for those who are willing to pay for it/earn it)

Alternatively: increase the boost of Iron Will. If it were possible to make it scale or some sort throughout the game so that when you reach certain milestones iron will provides significant boosts. Perhaps add a lvl 21 and 22 to Iron Will, unlocked if you have certain gear (like Timeless/Reverse) and lvl 21 and 22 will add like couple hundred more to defense (if possible). (This is increased scaling survivability if you have end game gear)

If not Iron Will, why not Hex of the Beholder? Maybe the stacking buffs for defense, avoidability every whatever seconds should be dramatically increased. (This is increased scaling survivability the longer beholder is standing, mostly applicable to high lvl Drks with the skills to invest in Hex)

Dragon Blood: change this from a bonus attack buff to a bonus strength buff. (This is just a straight up damage boost)

End game equipment: just dramatically increase the defense values of timeless/reverse gear. These gear are lvl 150 after all. (This is increased surviivability for those with end game gear, buffs to all warriors).

-Weapon defense stat on Spear for Att 10% or 30% scrolls, if possible why not dramatically increase the defense bonus of having a well-scrolled weapon?

-Reverse/Timeless spear level ups- I believe it is possible to add a stat that can be leveled up with item level ups. How about adding a good weapon/magic defense bonus when the items level up? Somethingg like a range from +100 to +300 per level? Maybe add a defense value to reverse/timeless spears/PAs?

This server has already done a nonGMS thing in locking reverse/TL items to lvl 150. This allows for a lot more leeway for various stat customizations on the basis that end game equipment can do more things than just make you do more damage

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    Some thoughts as dk main (not endgame tho):

Imo i dont like suggestions like increasing defense or the hp cap at all, those take away from the risk-reward that is like the whole point of this class.

The dragon blood suggestion on the other hand seems pretty good, especially giving crit, that feels right. Its also not completely un-gms like since dark knight did in fact have a skill that gave crit in a slightly newer version (something like 92?).

15. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    There's a difference between a risk-reward system and straight up turning from Dark Knight into Dragon Knight because a boss does so much damage and you can do nothing about it.

16. xDarkomantis

xDarkomantis Mushmom

Jan 20, 2021
    Male
    The only thing Drk has going for them in regards to Defensive utility is Hyper Body, everything else seems to point to them being an Offensive Berserker class. I honestly think Hyper Body needs to be removed from them to improve their gameplay but balancing Drk will always be a difficult task when trying to maintain Nostalgia (tank buffer vs squishy dmg dealer), keeping in line with v62 Maplestory gameplay, and keeping HP washing on the table (which invalidates the class later on). The only option is to just make Drk a slightly~moderately better Hero offensively to maintain Nostalgia/Balance purposes (Risk/reward) and relegating Hero to a more easy mode Jack of all trade position.

• Agree Agree x 1