1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing ML on Linux Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by halfwaysleet, Aug 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Snail

Jul 23, 2022
    1:17 PM
    This makes no sense to me. Why are we using the MAC installer if we are putting this on Linux using Wine ? I attempted installing it using wine and the Windows mirror but when I launched the .exe after what seemed like a normal install it wouldn't launch.

2. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    3:17 AM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    uhmm, incase u havent noticed.... mac version's of ML uses a windows executable (exe) to run too.... and it uses wine to run too.... and if u havent noticed, the MapleLegends contained in MAC's installer is specifically made to run in WINE and crossover....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. FasDeKu

FasDeKu Blue Snail

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    3:17 PM
    Hi, I can't get the game to launch for some reason. Virtual desktop opens normally, game launches for 1-2 seconds and then both the game and virtual desktop shuts down. I used to be able to run the game about a year ago, when winetricks was still a thing, and played the game on Lutris for 3-4 months. Not sure what the problem is and hoping there's something I can do to make it work

4. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    12:17 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    Do you get any sort of errors? Is your WINE prefix set to 32 bit? Is set to compat mode with Windows 98?

5. FasDeKu

FasDeKu Blue Snail

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    I get an Nvidia error. I did follow the guide exactly. Reinstalled Linux before starting. Prefix 32 bit and compatibility Windows 98 from terminal. Downloaded both DLL and replaced old ones from .wine folder.
    I'll start from scratch tonight and post errors if I get the same problem.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BaconThief

BaconThief Red Snail

May 26, 2020
    Male
    BaconThief
    I/L Mage
    Brave
    Thanks for making and updating this guide. Finally got my Linux installation of ML to work! For anyone reading this who may have also struggled to unpack the .pkg on Linux, I found that the utility 7z (used like >7z x file.pkg) worked perfectly, after struggling to install xar on Linux for quite a while.

Is it normal for Linux ML to not support fullscreen? Everything else seems to work, but I see an error spamming my terminal after starting ML with wine, stating that there is some issue with one or both of the two files I replaced as instructed during the installation, and that I should try the original file there. I could try to reinstall wine to regenerate these default files, but has anyone else run into this?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Those errors are normal and safe to ignore, but fullscreen definitely should work. What DE/WM are you using? I'm on Fluxbox and fullscreen works fine. It should work on KDE as well.

8. BaconThief

BaconThief Red Snail

May 26, 2020
    Male
    BaconThief
    I/L Mage
    Brave
    I am running Ubuntu Studio, which is pretty much an OS based on Ubuntu with XFCE.

9. BaconThief

BaconThief Red Snail

May 26, 2020
    Male
    BaconThief
    I/L Mage
    Brave
    This is my specific error (on my 20.04 LTS Ubuntu Studio partition), spamming my terminal:

0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCompleteRequest' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

10. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    i run maplelegends using lutris, and do not have such issues.

perhaps u can try that out too, not sure id that helps

11. BaconThief

BaconThief Red Snail

May 26, 2020
    Male
    BaconThief
    I/L Mage
    Brave
    Interesting, haven't looked into Lutris before. Think I got Lutris installed through the PPA (which I generally don't like using), but trying to select the MapleLegends.exe executable and following some instructions like wine path to ~/Games/MapleLegends ended up giving an error about esync and the wine version not being compatible.

12. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Right click on MapleLegends -> Configure -> Runner options and turn off Esync.

13. BaconThief

BaconThief Red Snail

May 26, 2020
    Male
    BaconThief
    I/L Mage
    Brave
    Thanks for the tip. I tried redo-ing a new game manually in Lutris, but I don't see anything launching/opening when I try to start it (nor any error message now that I disabled esync). My steps included making a Games/ folder inside my home directory, specifying the wine path as ~/Games/MapleLegends , choosing the wine running and not straight Linux runner, and selecting the executable that works with wine without Lutris. The last attempt, I also unchecked the box that allows esync, which did get rid of the error about incompatible wine version. However, still nothing launching (despite the Lutris menu saying I can "stop" the game after clicking "start" or double clicking it).

14. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    did you replace the two dlls? i did not see in the steps. if u did not, the game definitely wont launch.

if u did replace it, the only thing i can think of left will be virtual desktop

15. Theaceae

Theaceae King Slime

Jul 4, 2021
    Female
    Theaceae
    This was a huge help. Nobara/Fedora, default settings work great out of the box. (packed with Wine 7.15-staging)

I'm currently attempting to fix 1366x768 mode without using the virtual window setting. My one lead seems to be related to nvidia x config not wanting to use any resolution that's not reported by my monitor's EDID, as I have been unable to add this mode to xrandr either, but I couldn't saqy for sure.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. MoonLittle

MoonLittle Blue Snail

Sep 4, 2022
    MoonLittle
    Beginner
    Hello friends.

I am following this guide on new Debian 11 install, and got "err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow" error when trying to launch.

I have confirmed to follow common gotcha steps:
    • Downloaded MapleLegends-MAC16Aug2022-Rev3.pkg (Wineskins version)
    • In winecfg, set "Windows Version" to "Windows 98"
    • In ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, overwrite "ws2_32.dll" with version from main post (Mediafire)
    • In ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, overwrite "ws2help.dll" with version from main post (Mediafire)
    • In winecfg, toggle the "Emulate a virtual desktop" (Virtual desktop window appeared, and nothing else aside from terminal stuck at same error)
    • In terminal, specify architecture and prefix to use when launching
    Appreciate if any assistance available for this.

-----

Brief details of the environment:

Code:
    user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$ uname -a

Linux debian-11 5.10.0-17-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.136-1 (2022-08-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$ lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID:    Debian

Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Release:    11

Codename:    bullseye

user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$ wine --version

wine-7.0

Working directory:

Code:
    user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$ ls -la

total 14032

drwxrwxrwx  5 user user    4096 Aug 17 17:29  .

drwxr-xr-x  7 user user    4096 Sep  4 10:30  ..

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  118784 Feb 20  2021  Canvas.dll

drwxrwxrwx  2 user user    4096 Aug 17 17:07 'Crash Logs'

drwxrwxrwx 17 user user    4096 Aug 17 17:29  Data

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  253952 Sep  4  2017  Gr2D_DX8.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user 3723264 Aug 17 02:41  ijl15.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  290816 Oct 15  2008  l3codeca.acm

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user    2336 Aug 17 01:05  Legends.ini

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user   13336 Nov 10  2008  List.wz

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  352256 Mar 20 04:22  MapleLegends.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user 7909376 Aug 13 10:25  MapleLegends.exe

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  143360 Mar 30  2016  NameSpace.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  409680 Mar 30  2016  npkcrypt.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user   53248 Mar 30  2016  npkpdb.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  114688 Feb  4  2021  PCOM.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user   49152 Mar 30  2016  ResMan.dll

drwxrwxrwx  2 user user    4096 Jun 28 01:10  Screenshots

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  409600 Mar 30  2016  Setup.exe

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user   86016 Mar 30  2016  Shape2D.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  147456 Mar 30  2016  Sound_DX8.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user  176128 Oct 15  2008  WzMss.dll

-rwxrwxrwx  1 user user   81973 Mar 30  2016  ZLZ.dll

user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$

Terminal output:

Code:

user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$ pwd

/home/user/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD

user@debian-11:~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.wine wine ./MapleLegends.exe

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenHandleHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseSocketHandle' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCreateSocketHandle' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseHandleHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenCurrentThread' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseThread' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahQueueUserApc' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCompleteRequest' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenHandleHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseSocketHandle' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCreateSocketHandle' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseHandleHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenCurrentThread' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseThread' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahQueueUserApc' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCompleteRequest' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

0024:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

0024:fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_read_range no entry found

0024:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 616 bytes in thread 0024 addr (nil) stack 0x120d98 (0x120000-0x121000-0x220000)

17. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I had no luck too when trying to run it outside of lutris, but when launching using lutris, it worked fine for me, perhaps due to the extra libs they provide or something, im not too sure.
    while i can't guarantee it will work, do try setting up the environment using lutris instead, and see if that works out for u

18. MoonLittle

MoonLittle Blue Snail

Sep 4, 2022
    MoonLittle
    Beginner
    Thank you for advising on Lutris.

I have tried following the optional section for Lutris, and I am able to launch the game now.

From short gameplay, noticed the game stuttering (audio lag / frame slowdown).

Is there any other parameter to be adjusted?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Theaceae

Theaceae King Slime

Jul 4, 2021
    Female
    Theaceae
    Can I get the output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo -B

20. MoonLittle

MoonLittle Blue Snail

Sep 4, 2022
    MoonLittle
    Beginner
    Sorry for delayed response.

This is the output of the command as requested.

Code:
    user@debian-11:glxinfo -B

name of display: :0
    display: :0  screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
       Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
       Device: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2) (0x1616)
       Version: 20.2.6
       Accelerated: yes
       Video memory: 3072MB
       Unified memory: yes
       Preferred profile: core (0x1)
       Max core profile version: 4.6
       Max compat profile version: 4.6
       Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
       Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.2.6
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.2.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.2.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20