1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make Boss in-game Timers show Seconds

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by faithie, Sep 8, 2022.

1. faithie

faithie King Slime

Jan 27, 2022
    7:19 PM
    faithx3
    F/P Arch Mage
    Dear HT enthusiasts and all bossers alike,

do you remember this?
    upload_2022-9-9_4-17-46.jpeg

for the less versed players, the above shows a typical timer app on phone, where a bishop with pro playstyle is prepared to carry his or her less desired newbie squad in HT!

With the addition of Aufheben, keeping track of skill timers are going to be much more important than ever in bossing. That is to say, the three end-game bosses, HT, PB and Auf all require a serious player to keep track of skill timers.
    - HT as shown above, albeit the more experienced squads not requiring such a vast range of timers
    - with the changes of PB, a serious squad will want to keep track of Sed1, Sed2, and Sed3 timers. main body DR timers are largely unaffected, while left bird DR can be dealt with more efficiently if my suggestion were to go through.
    - Auf requires taking note of DR, Sed and DP timers for main body, while having to take note of DR2 on clone2
    --> BUT this is all mostly not possible with the current in-game timer unless one is to use an external timer, UNTIL the in-game timer reaches the hour mark @ 59 minutes, 59 seconds; this, I will elaborate on later.

The question I would like to posit now is: why do we necessarily have to utilise external timers, if it can possibly be done in-game?
    --> What my question entails is bringing up the utility of the seconds in the boss in-game timers.

Now, imagine that Auf starts its timer like this, instead of the usual 1h30min shown:
    upload_2022-9-9_4-19-1.jpeg

To explain how this can help players to better take note of DR, Sed and DP timers, one can simply look at the in-game timer. For instance, Auf DRs at 85 minutes, 32 seconds. Player X states "xx32". Players X2-X6 will now all know that DR is cleared at 85 minutes, 22 seconds, and the next potential DR/ DR cooldown will be at 84 minutes, 32 seconds. Insane big brain play, I know right?

Whilst for the specific instance of the boss Auf, this will always be doable AFTER the timer reaches 59 minutes, 59 seconds, which as such will display the seconds timer, it doesn't help for the first 30 minutes where it seems almost essential for one to utilise an external timer to deal with the boss. There is also an issue of consistency; while taking track of the in-game timer would be more efficient, faster, and less multitasking involved, it would largely disrupt one's flow if one were to switch from external timers in the first 30 minutes of the boss into taking in-game timers in the last 60 minutes.

This example can largely be applicable to HT and PB as well.

Although, I can foresee there potentially being implementation issues with HT. HT's timer starts at two hours, which is different from PB and Auf which starts at 1hour 30 minutes. While to the best of my knowledge I can see it being easily implemented in PB and Auf, my intention is to make this universally accepted across all bosses (NOT just PB, Auf and HT) for all players who want to utilise in-game timers but are, perhaps, not sweaty enough to multitask a timer just for a boss like, say, dunas1 (DR) or scarga (weapon cancels); and/or for other reasons mentioned or not.

And as such, for the issue of HT timer being 2 hours, in which converting it to merely minutes and seconds would bring about issues of having three digits in the minutes display, I suggest making the "minute + seconds" display only appear when it reaches 99 minutes, 59 seconds. That way, HT players will still be able to sufficiently utilise in-game timers in the main boss itself (I am assuming that pre-heads generally last for 20 minutes for the average 12 man squad), with the exception of utilising in-game timers for tracking the exact timing where weapon cancel is over, or sed cooldown, during the pre-heads.

Another alternative would be to lower the HT timer to only 90 minutes timer :D but this is an issue for another time.

At this point, I can expect a natural objection: why should the game spoonfeed us with an in-game timer? Just get good! If you want to sweat, just use your external timer!

To answer this question, the matter at hand is that players are already using in-game timers. It's just that players cannot fully utilise in-game timers solely because of the fact that without the seconds timer, it cannot be accurate to the second. Here, it is worthy to mention (for the less versed players) that you HAVE to be accurate to the second for the large part for all three end-game bosses. If this is the case, I don't think my suggestion is unreasonable in any means as a means of quality of life for players right now who almost necessarily have to utilise external timers until the hour mark is reached.

Another line of logic would be that in-game timers are largely used in other games as well. I probably won't go into details of other games, but I think that if you do play other games that requires precise timings, then you will understand where this is coming from. If this is the case, then I think ML changing the in-game timers as such would be a good step towards a pleasurable bossing experience without the excessive need for external applications.

Therefore, to reiterate my suggestion: I suggest to make boss in-game timers show seconds - and this can (I hope) likely be able to be implemented by changing the in-game timer to start to show seconds from 99 minutes, 59 seconds onwards.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    4:19 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    How about we make everything 1 hour timer?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just an FYI, but timers are also not synced perfectly from player to player, client to client.
    Proof:
    upload_2022-9-8_14-28-59.png

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    faithie

faithie King Slime

Jan 27, 2022
    faithx3
    F/P Arch Mage
    i actually didnt know this. the onus then is for every single player to get good and get their own timers.

interestingly enough, if this is the case, then why has there never been much of an issue in PB for DR timers?
    understandably enough, people who take timers usually call for "DR anytime" either way, but there have been runs to my empirical knowledge where people utilise purely recorded in-game timers from other players as a form of dependency.

5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This is mostly apparent when you have two separate timer trackers consistently reporting two different times. :^)

6. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    7:19 AM
    iPippy
    It also helps that pb doesn't typically cast dr immediately off cd.

I've always viewed the timers as reminders. Timer tracks are handy to keep focused, but expecting other players to consistently provide accurate timers to the second sounds like a cover-up for player skill issues, even for the classes like bm that can die quickly to dr. If you need a timer to survive, you should probably also be tracking it yourself.

"If you have to ask if DR is available, assume it's ready anytime"

7. OP
    OP
    faithie

faithie King Slime

Jan 27, 2022
    faithx3
    F/P Arch Mage
    this is most interesting, after some thought ive realised that people with better ping call for timers earlier. as in, if DR is at xx31, and i call 31, normally the player with better ping calls it at 33. ive always thought that the player is just playing it safe. the latter reasoning might still be true though, who knows?

if this is directed to me and not as a general comment, i never did expect other players to consistently provide accurate timers to the second. but the reasoning behind my post is for all players to be able to actually get that timer to the second. as u have mentioned, you should be tracking it yourself, which is in line with my previous comment. that is, if this is directed to dan, then yes i assume you do agree with my previous reply.
    while it does help that pb doesnt cast dr immediately off cd, the possibility of it (which has happened before) leads to the original intention of suggestion, which is to be able to get that timer to the second. just last week, DR timer was at 00 (and safe to say its accurate because im the one that recorded it), and it went into DR at 59
    while you personally view DR timers as reminders, i cant say the same for a large number of players, especially classes that are extremely sensitive to DR, as you have mentioned too. And, this post really isn't just about for the sake of DR timers. For instance, in Auf, sed timer is crucial in clones 1 and 3 for range

8. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    12:19 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    What about this glorious in-game timer?
    [​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:19 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    it can be used on macro shout, right?

10. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    Do you have a link for the app?

11. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:19 PM
    Moderator Post
    The reason the zakum timer is not synced is because its a fake timer; it works similar as dungeons. It starts when you enter the map. The other synced timers are instance timers that PQ's uses and are instance based.

Zakum never had a timer in old GMS and technically shouldnt in Legends either. Its there because Odin (original sever emulator devs) added it in. We kept it because people like track how long the run took.

• Informative Informative x 7
  12. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    6:19 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    That App is called MultiTimer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    faithie

faithie King Slime