1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Multimage Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Sep 30, 2022.

Is multimaging bad?

1. yes

98 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. no

32 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. neutral (not good or bad)

46 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Skelosaurus

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    12:31 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I'll be honest, if I were still multimaging I would not care about this change in the slightest. I would still be able to operate at 100% capacity without pet loot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    3:31 PM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    You're saying an octomage setup works without autolooting?

3. twing1

twing1 Pink Teddy

Aug 10, 2020
    Male
    twing1
    Beginner

These are examples of use-cases that would likely slip through the cracks.

As mentioned above, the system is not perfect, as it is not with other violations of the ToS as well. Nor does it have to be. If perfection were the prerequisite for any change to be made to the game, no changes would be made at all. It is an unrealistic standard.

What is more important than perfection is that a large enough of a deterrent be put into place to drastically improve the situation and cut back on the number of violations.

I believe the cases you've outlined above to be far and few between. What percentage of the population do you believe plays the game as you've described?

Even if this statistic is not decreased after preventative measures are taken against this particular play style, I believe it to be an incredibly small portion of the population that actually partakes in activity similar to this.

The vast majority of multi-clienters that I know and have interacted with use the ingrained systems in place to do so, by opening multiple clients on the same machine. If these systems were to be removed, I believe that the great, great majority of multi-clienting would too be removed from the game, as for the majority of players it would simply become too inconvenient to multi-client.

Perhaps I am wrong in my belief.

In any case, statistics should absolutely be gathered before making any of these hypothetical adjustments, to ensure that the changes would have the desired effects.

4. beegoratto

beegoratto Skelosaurus

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Quadmage easily yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:31 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Multi client is necessary at some point:
    in those days is Impossible wait for hours to a especific job to do a boss run (take more time to recruit a bishop to zakum than time to kill zakum), same with others bosses, same with signs..

so, remove total is wrong, maybe cap?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:31 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    imagine lost 2hour to find member to kill zakum in 15 min? lol no way

7. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    Legends should start a second world that has a ban on multi-client, while keeping the current world intact. People will self-select to participate in the second world, and will themselves enforce and report the multi-client rules because that is the literal point of being there. If you split the world in this way, there is no real motivation to go to the single-client world and multi-client there, but that's simply not the point of playing there -- you have your own sandbox already to octomage in.

A person will be allowed to have accounts/characters on both servers, so one day they might like to do multiclient gameplay, and another day they might like single-client gameplay. I don't think this would significantly split the community because a) it would give retired players (hi) a motivation to come back and try something new, and b) people would still be able to play in the different worlds.

If your argument is "well, if you don't like multiclient, just go to a different private server," then than should motivate Legends to implement this change in order to prevent player attrition.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    6:31 AM
    Dralith
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    Rip online player count on both servers

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Croosade split their server in two and both were completely dead and irrelevant in about a month.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. optifreepure

optifreepure Slime

Jun 10, 2022
    nerf sweepers

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. faithie

faithie King Slime

Jan 27, 2022
    3:31 AM
    faithx3
    F/P Arch Mage
    For what it's worth, since the debate deviated away from the pros and cons of multimaging into the intricacies behind the server's decisions on and its stance on multiclienting, I shall put forth my personal view:
    I started playing this server for nostalgia, but I stayed because of the existence of multiclienting. That is, I very likely would not have continued playing once the nostalgia aspect had been over. Not because I can mule 5 characters (I do, but not the main reason why) but because of the challenging aspect behind controlling several characters, not in farming (I do, but not the main reason why), but in bossing. I definitely can't speak for others but I personally enjoy bossing with multiple attackers. I've brought 4 characters to the same pink bean run before. I've played duo mage attacker in pink bean with 80% of normal efficiency dpm. This challenging aspect to push to further efficiencies is what I enjoy in end game bossing.

What I'm trying to say is that people, here, are focusing too much on "multiclient bad because multimage" simpliciter, without taking into regard the fact that there exists players who play ML because of the multiclienting aspect, and specifically in the example that I've mentioned, multiclienting in bossing aspect. And while i definitely can't speak for others, I'm sure there are some who share the same sentiment as I do in relation to the topic of multiclienting simpliciter; I know at least five people who do so.

My intention behind the post is to state that the topic shouldn't be deviating into multiclienting in itself because of the complexities of arguments for and against being driven haywire against when there's a juxtaposition of discussions between multiclienting and multimaging.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    I think you're not taking into account that the vast majority of people want to DPS at end-game. Hardly anyone wants to heal full time. There's no harm in having an HS mule or a third account to carry/leech. It's a problem in that people end up hyper-optimizing things, but that's just how people are, I mean you can't really blame them for wanting to see how far they can take it before their internet gives out or computer blows up.

Maplestory existed just fine before NLC came out. While NLC pots have been a blessing for many players, it was never necessary.

I respect the confidence, honestly if he can do that, that's pretty awesome lol

Attack the idea, not the person. I know you're upset but that's never an excuse to lash out at people. Learn to take a joke, unless you wanna become the butt of it.

CD's. You get a decent chunk of mesos, you can(probably) one shot at 130, sell leech. That's a pretty low toss. It takes a half a minute to read the mindnumbing pain that is discovering the stupid efficiency of CD grinding as a DK and a DrK.

I think people just tend to push towards hyper-optimization. It happens in every game. Everyone wants the easiest path, even if it's not all that efficient to invest in time-wise. Plus people are generally lazy and don't want to spend hours upon hours coming up with mesos, which is probably how OG failed to begin with, even with all its P2W-before-P2W-was-mainstream gimmicks.

I think, simply put, the staff has more important things to fill their unpaid time with. I doubt people want to spend their free time looking through several pages of reports, combing through false-positives and trying to discern whether or not a ban is necessary.

Resources are limited and free(unpaid), which means they want to focus on things that actually matter to them. The idea of multimage becoming something against ToS and being a bannable offense, is like trying to outlaw tobacco(or the wacky stuff): people are doing it, even if it bothers other people, the police have better things to do than arrest people for smoking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I’ve said this before but MapleLegends without multiclienting would be boring af. I honestly can’t see myself playing this game in such a one dimensional format, but if staff decides that is the way to go, then I’ll respect their decision, but I would probably stop playing.

People have different definitions of fun and should be free to choose how they play as long as it is within the parameters allowed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    8:31 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Would that sentiment be any different if you had played ML single-client for the past however long you've played?

• Like Like x 1
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think it’s safe to assume most of us started MapleLegends single client while testing out the waters. I still run content like HT and PB as single client and enjoy it because they’re engaging enough to demand my full attention, but a big part of the game for me is exploring different strategies to solo some of the more mundane/manageable bosses like a puzzle. Multiclienting is just a new dynamic that adds depth to an individual player’s experience. Taking that away would make a lot of bosses a boring hold down a button and wait till it’s over type of experience.

Multimaging, like sed muling, like sweeper, like dexbucc and HH mules - are innovative ways for players to push the limits. Trying to take the limit pushing away is a regressive sentiment IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    A quite simple puzzle considering the answer is lots of NLs :panda:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Well before the answer was lots of BMs but we all know how that turned out .

18. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    Interesting take... tho I'd rather much a removal of auto HP/MP which is a more direct impact on multi-clients. Adding more naunce to account management.

19. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Unfortunately, if you did that, you'd be screwing over anyone with a mildly spotty connection.

Auto HP/MP ticks on the server side, pressing the pot button is client-side, so if theoretically you could repeat the same instance to compare, one person pressing the pot button right on time could die based off their ISP's garbage data lines while your pet never has to worry about connection lag, will always pot at the exact 5% increment you've designated.

20. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    waiting for new coin prices 1 week after multimage death

• Like Like x 1