1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make the Challenges System level-gated (level ≥100) instead of job-advancement-gated

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by deer, Oct 10, 2022.

1. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    11:24 AM
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    Make the Challenges System level-gated (level ≥100) instead of job-advancement-gated

Currently, the Challenges System, a new mechanic that is intended to replace HP washing for PCs who cannot or will not wash, requires the PC to be either 3rd-job or 4th-job. This restriction is not only completely unnecessary, but is actively harmful, and often totally excludes those who need the Challenges System the most.

The Challenges System is already level-gated (it starts at level 100 at the lowest). The fact that it also gatekeeps PCs based on their job is thus redundant at best. So why is the job requirement there?

I suspect — but cannot prove — that the job requirement is intended to mitigate theoretical (or pre-theoretical/speculative) exploits similar to the so-called “beginner-mage” build, wherein a PC job advances very late in order to benefit from HP gains that they can only obtain (or can more easily obtain) at jobs lower (i.e. lower grade, e.g. beginner < bishop) than their intended target job (the “intended target job” being some kind of 4th-job mage, in this case).

However, there is apparently(?) some other reason, because if this was actually the concern, then the Challenges System would only need to be gated to 2nd job or higher, rather than the 3rd job or higher that was chosen. Nevertheless, we will show that it is easy to incorporate 0th-jobbers, 1st-jobbers, and 2nd-jobbers alike into the Challenges System, thus removing the harmful & unnecessary built-in discrimination.

How?

There are two parts to this change, although the second part is not really a “change” so much as it is a clarification.

Part 1: Voluntary job-locking

This part is simple: If anyone who gains MAXHP from a challenge is thenceforth permanently prohibited from taking job advancements — with the obvious & important exception of 4th job advancement! — then the issues are removed.

Here’s a little Q&A for part 1:
    • Q: Isn’t doing a quest that permanently prevents job advancement pretty weird?
      • A: Yes, but here’s something even weirder: doing such a quest (challenge) already permanently prevents HP washing, and indeed prevents the ability to put anything into MAXHP/MAXMP at all! This would be the first time that a quest interferes with MAXHP/MAXMP allocation, but not the first time that a quest interferes with job advancement: job advancement quests cause job advancement when fully completed, and such advancements are both irreversible (e.g. a PC who advances from magician to I/L wizard can never go back and choose to be a magician again), & eliminate higher advancement possibilities (e.g. a PC who advances from magician to I/L wizard cannot choose to advance from I/L wizard to F/P mage at 3rd job advancement).

Also remember that doing the challenges — and accepting specifically the MAXHP rewards — would be totally voluntary, and players would be warned in advance that they are preventing themselves from job-advancing.
    • Q: What if I negligently forget that accepting MAXHP from a challenge prevents me from job-advancing, and I ignore all warnings, and then I permanently screw up my character?
      • A: This can only happen if you are both level ≥100 and are a 2nd-jobber, 1st-jobber, or 0th-jobber (beginner). If you get to this point, you are at least 30 levels late for your job advancement, and you certainly know what you are doing. The risk of permanently screwing up your character by inadvertently (or purposely, only to find out later that it was a bad idea) disabling HP washing for yourself is far, far, far more likely.
    • Q: Isn’t this overly strict?
      • A: Yes, it can be loosened by only disabling 1st & 2nd job advancements (advancement from 0th job to 1st job, and advancement from 1st job to 2nd job), as these are the problematic transitions. The HP thresholds (which are what dictate how much MAXHP you can gain from the system) do not observe distinctions beyond this point, with only two exceptions:
        • It treats brawlers(/marauders/buccaneers) differently from pirates(/gunslingers/outlaws/corsairs). This one is simply a non-issue, as brawlers/marauders/buccaneers have the Improve MaxHP skill, so their HP thresholds are much higher and have nothing to gain from “beginner-mage”-style exploits.
        • It treats bandits(/CBs/shadowers) differently from rogues(/assassins/hermits/nightlords). This one is actually significant, as a rogue could hypothetically put off 2nd job advancement until some level ≥110 of their choosing, in order to benefit from the “other” category of HP threshold, which is more advantageous (read: larger at every level from 110 onwards) than the “shad” category. Then, they would take 2nd (and 3rd & 4th, in most cases) job advancement once they reach their MAXHP goal.* This means that, ceteris paribus, eliminating the ability to do 2nd job advancement upon receiving MAXHP from a challenge is necessary.
        Furthermore, it’s possible to loosen things even further by only preventing the PC from making the specifically problematic job advancements, namely ⟨Beginner → Magician⟩ and ⟨Rogue → Bandit⟩.

An alternative, even more superior (read: even less overly strict) solution to the “late advancement to Chief Bandit” problem prohibits the ⟨Bandit → Chief Bandit⟩ advancement, instead of the ⟨Rogue → Bandit⟩ advancement, and then lumps Bandits in with “Others”. The reason for this is that permabandits do not get access to Meso Guard (and are naturally extremely short-reach).

However, I am posing this in an overly strict version just in case it’s necessary for reasons unknown to me, and the implementors (read: MapleLegends staff) can decide if loosening is possible, and then loosen it if so.
    • Q: I don’t care.
      • A: That’s not a question, but okay. I will not attempt to convince the reader to care if they refuse to be convinced; I will simply note that this oversight severely discriminates against an important part of the playerbase for no reason, and thus will be seen as a severe blow directly inflicted upon them, with the only apparent reason being that they are simply neither wanted nor welcome on this server. If that is an acceptable outcome, then so be it.
    *This exploit is certainly worth eliminating, although it’s also worth noting that it’s hard to really benefit from. At this rate, the bandit/CB/shad would rather just HP wash than spend even more resources (including lots & lots of SP, something that these classes don’t have many, if any, to spare) just to get a modest MAXHP boost! You would also have to do 2nd job advancement at about level ≈180 at the latest, if you actually wanted a substantial benefit without the drawback of giving up MAXHP gains from higher-level challenge completions.

Part 2: Clarify the HP thresholds

Currently, the HP thresholds look like this, according to the official source:
    LevelsMagesWarriorsBuccShadOthers
    This is actually totally fine as-is. We just have to be clear what the headers of each column mean:

• Mages” encompasses the following classes:
      • 1st job:
        • Magician.
      • 2nd job:
        • Wizard (Fire/Poison).
        • Wizard (Ice/Lightning).
        • Cleric.
      • 3rd job:
        • Mage (Fire/Poison).
        • Mage (Ice/Lightning).
        • Priest.
      • 4th job:
        • Arch Mage (Fire/Poison).
        • Arch Mage (Ice/Lightning).
        • Bishop.
    • Warriors” encompasses the following classes:
      • 1st job:
        • Swordman.
      • 2nd job:
        • Fighter.
        • Page.
        • Spearman.
      • 3rd job:
        • Crusader.
        • White Knight.
        • Dragon Knight.
      • 4th job:
        • Hero.
        • Paladin.
        • Dark Knight.
    • Bucc” encompasses the following classes:
      • 2nd job:
        • Brawler.
      • 3rd job:
        • Marauder.
      • 4th job:
        • Buccaneer.
    • Shad” encompasses the following classes:
      • 2nd job:
        • Bandit*.
      • 3rd job:
        • Chief Bandit.
      • 4th job:
        • Shadower.
    • Others” encompasses the following classes:
      • 0th job:
        • Beginner.
      • 1st job:
        • Archer.
        • Rogue.
        • Pirate.
      • 2nd job:
        • Hunter.
        • Crossbowman.
        • Assassin.
        • Gunslinger.
      • 3rd job:
        • Ranger.
        • Sniper.
        • Hermit.
        • Outlaw.
      • 4th job:
        • Bow Master.
        • Marksman.
        • Night Lord.
        • Corsair.

*Bandits ideally should be in the “Others” category, although this requires the job-advancement caveat suggested in the previous section.

Here’s a little Q&A for part 2:
    • Q: Doesn’t this award too much MAXHP to permabeginners who complete the challenges?
      • A: This would put the typical permabeginner on par with, say, a completely unwashed archer. Being on par with an unwashed archer is not exactly “massive survivability”, especially when you’re a permabeginner, and thus largely rely on being extremely close to your opponent at all times in order to deal damage. It is true that permabeginners have naturally smaller MAXHP pools than archers do in the absence of both HP washing and the Challenge System; however, this basically just pans out (in pre-Challenge-System MapleLegends) as “permabeginners just have to wash way harder than anyone else”. If permabeginners really absolutely need a nerf here, then the “Shad” category can simply be expanded to “Shad or beginner”.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    4:24 AM
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    If ML were a fresh new MMO built in 2022, the jobs would just have pre-determined amounts of HP based on level and it wouldn't matter if/when you job advanced. It'd be way easier to balance for everyone involved, for example you could tune a boss so that it's guaranteed to 1 shot only Archers who don't have HP equips if you know for sure a lv.153 Archer with 100% challenge completion has 9.2k base hp.

With the Challenges system, ML has an opportunity to enact that pre-determined HP pool for players who opt-in. I have no insight on why the challenges are job gated but suspect per-job HP tables might be the ultimate plan further down the road considering that the opt-in is an irreversible choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    12:24 PM
    errr, the way how it is set up is just more so for technical simplicity and there wasn't much thought into alternatives playstyle such as perma beginner.
    Including pre-3rd job kinda makes it require much more checks that is not impossible but just more complicated behind the scene.
    Anyway, what type of goals are perma-beginner or more generally pre-3rd-job oddjobs (that choose not to advance at high levels) are even looking at?
    I find it hard to contextualise the type of content that can be done since I am very unfamiliar with such playstyle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    In almost all cases, there is functionally no difference w.r.t. this system, so you have no need to worry about playstyles nor goals. By “almost all cases”, I mean most 1st-jobbers & 2nd-jobbers, which fit very naturally into the HP threshold table that you have already posted (and that I reproduced above). This is why I included the “Table headers, clarified” listing that you see in the first post of this thread. For example, a Spearman (2nd job) should be treated identically to a Dragon Knight (3rd job), and a Rogue (1st job) should be treated identically to a Night Lord (4th job). The only weird edge cases are Pirates (1st job), Rogues (1st job), and Bandits (2nd job), but I already handled those cases above. Pirates do not have access to Improved MaxHP, and Rogues do not have access to Meso Guard, so they should be treated as “Others” (with the job-advancement caveats that I already outlined above). The only truly strange edge case is Bandit, because it seems “obvious” that they should be treated like Shadowers, and yet they do not have Meso Guard. Bandits may be treated as “Others” if they are prevented from 3rd job advancing (this is probably ideal, but I don’t feel strongly either way), or “Shad” otherwise (which is how I have it above, but I may edit it to reflect the former possibility).

That leaves permabeginners. Again, I already talk about them in the post above, saying that they naturally fit into the “Others” category — after all, it does say “other”, and beginners are indeed an “other” class. If this is absolutely too strong, then my recommendation is to lump them in with Shadowers. If you are worried about playstyle, I already made the most salient points above, so I will again quote myself:

Permabeginners are naturally starved for reach (the least extreme example being LUKginners, who use event claws; but note that they are still unnaturally short-reach, as they lack Keen Eyes entirely) and only rarely have the luxury of not taking touch damage from whatever it is that they are fighting. Other than that, their goals will be very similar to casual (read: probably not doing ultra-hard content like PB/NT/BGA/BGB/TB, but hoping to be able to participate in other things like Capt Lat*, HH*, Rav, Pap, Zak, Scar/Tar, and even HT, with the caveat that they may have to ask for HB of course) bossers of other naturally squishy classes like e.g. archers (read: Bow Masters & Marksmen). Permabeginners who want to go further (less reliance on HB, the ability to participate in PB/NT, etc.; these permabeginners do exist but are rarer) will accept that they simply need to HP wash extremely hard in order to reach their goals, so there is no need to accommodate them with this system alone. This is why I personally believe that permabeginners are most aptly “Others”. Even with this change, they will still be at considerable defensive & offensive disadvantage compared to completely unwashed archers.

*I can already predict people giving me weird looks for including Capt. Latanica and Headless Horseman here. These are very important bosses for permabeginners, and are already doable by washed permabeginners as we speak, but they are worth mentioning as I have frequently had to worry about permabeginners surviving (or rather, not surviving) in my Capt. Lat/HH runs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:24 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    rogue->bandit is probably the only real abuse for mule use to maybe get a 9.2k rather than 7.7k hp shad mule. beginner mages get no benefit since a mere 1.5-2k hp or so isn't worth sacrificing like almost 300 sp and associated mp difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Taima

Taima Mushmom

May 23, 2021
    Female
    Taima
    Beginner
    Oddjobs
    As a permabeginner I'm interested in taking part in certain high level content like Zakum, Horntail, or CWKPQ even if my character will never have the capacity to be "an attacker" that boss parties actually rely on. I even think level 180 Beginners should have the HP to participate in Pink Bean, even if they have pitiful damage, which they always will. It is possible for the typical "sort of washed" level 1xx beginner to survive Zakum while attacking, but this requires avoiding ever touching the last body. Using onyx apples and similar buffs several beginners (or other job-restricted oddjobs) can party up to defeat heavy-hitting area or expedition bosses with surprising results. I think that Beginners should be able to opt in to the challenges so that they can participate in any boss that a ranged attacker generally could without heavy HP washing. The option would still be there to make an extreme INTginner who can tank Bigfoot at an early level or survive some other extreme touch damage. I would be okay with still needing to avoid certain touch damage, like a ranged job would, while playing as a melee attacking permabeginner. Maybe this is part of the superbeginner job identity, or jobless identity? ;)

An unwashed level 140 beginner has a min base HP of 1730 and average base HP of 2010. My character (level 128) has a current base hp of 2991, total hp of 5264 with tier 10 ring and overpowered event equips. At this point, I can survive Papulatus and Ravana without HB, but this status relies particularly on having overpowered event equips and a decent stack of HP gear. I had a similar journey to many other beginners, where I did not pay attention at all to HP washing or INT until after level 70. After one realizes how far they have come they might start to pay attention to HP washing and try to catch up. It's often effective in helping one to get a Zakum Helmet or survive Captain Latanica/Ravana/Pap. This is a lot of hard work in HP washing and stat redistribution into INT which isn't very fun. Seasoned Beginners often quit or slow down greatly around these difficult level 70-11x levels. If Beginners could participate in the HP challenges, we would actually be able to look forward to an extreme boost in HP at level 100. At 3200 HP, one can survive Headless Horseman with some def or extra hp gear. HH and Capt. Latanica are popular bosses to solo. Participating in the other high level content as a Beginner is also a lot of fun, even if we are just tickling the boss. I can't think of any ways this would harm Beginner progression or identity. If anything this would encourage more players to play Beginners and not have to leech them or carry a heavy INT burden which hardly pays off.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Could you not simply bloodwash instead? :^)

8. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    7:24 AM
    iPippy
    Perhaps it's the contrarian in me speaking, but I'm a lot less sympathetic to the cause after this "oddjob manifesto". If I become the villain for it, so be it. Let's set the record straight though; this is a group of players who strives to subvert the game and prides themselves on playing the game without the same tools/advantages as "normal job" characters. A group that separates themselves from the normal class hierarchy and shines in the face of adversity. A fundamental part of that is understanding and respecting these self-imposed limits of gameplay, whether it be damage or otherwise. It was respectable.

And yet, reading these posts now, they don't have the same energy to them. For a group intentionally limiting themselves via a challenge run or the creation of a character with a lower class/no class/different weapon/no weapon/whatever else, people are eager to get the limits removed that they, themselves, have imposed. It feels the motivation has shifted away from creating a game within the game, and become about making suboptimal playstyles optimal. No longer are we willing to play outside of the design space and accept all that it comes with, but balance, development, and opportunities must be made to mesh with a niche audience of suboptimal characters/builds expressed in a near infinite number of ways. We want to remove aspects of the game, but only the ones we say. It's hard to sympathize with such a cause, especially when it's met with ever moving goalposts and essays guilting other players and developers to bend over for this small, niche group that is also an "important part of the playerbase" (I'm actually surprised nobody has asked for Challenges on the island yet).

Loaded language aside, from a design standpoint, are suboptimal characters supposed to have the same treatment as normal characters? Design quite literally breaks when we, the player, choose add or subtract elements from it. I could coldly say with little remorse "that HP bonus? Yeah, it's right over there bundled with the skill bonus, mounts, quests, and other content behind the job instructor".

My actual view isn't quite so harsh. I even came into this thinking (and even assuming) that the HP gains were for any 1st job+ character (beginner obviously is a sore spot with beginner mage eventually running rampant already). Maybe it's recent entitled sounding posts of a vocal minority of suboptimal players asking the wrong way, maybe it's that feeling of abnormal play slowly losing that adversarial spirit by attempting to be... normal. Whatever it is, I do think including non 3rd/4th job chars in this HP floor raising is fine from a design standpoint. But personally, all these focused changes and forced inclusion of late have come at a massive cost of respect for the suboptimal style. And I know I'm not the only one to think that; but rather the only one to say it.

tl;dr are oddjobs still considered odd?

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    Heya! I’m going to respond to this post, but I suspect — although once again, cannot possibly prove — that it is in bad faith. I will simply assume that it is in good faith anyways, and respond exactly once (1 time), as I don’t believe in unproductive conversation such as this; my intent is to clear up any confusion for casual readers who are unaware of the meanings & contexts of the terms used here.

Except that this is not self-imposed at all, so this argument completely fails; no one intentionally decided to “Challenge-System-lock” themselves (at least, not yet).

This restriction is based only on whether or not you are ≥3rd job, and has nothing to do with being odd-jobbed per se. Lots of odd-jobbers are 3rd job or 4th job, and there are perma-2nd-jobbers on this server who are non-odd, because they play in an area (Victoria Island) that lacks 3rd job advancement and thus disallows all chars (odd or not) from advancing.

Again, this is not self-imposed, but an arbitrary restriction that no one asked for and that was not even intentional (see xiaoyaoz’s informative post above). Furthermore, people did not create their characters before the announcement of new quests thinking “I’m okay with being a [insert <3rd job class here] and missing out on Challenges”, because the Challenge System was not even conceived yet!

I won’t try to engage with the wholesale dismissal of unusual styles of play, other than to say that even on servers where I do not play oddly at all, I am keenly aware that if there aren’t other people out there doing it, then the server is not healthy — in many cases, it has become a power-player fest where only the sweatiest players (and/or the IRL richest pay-to-winners) are the only ones who have any reason to continue playing.

Again, I will simply reiterate that playing in a way that is off the beaten path is not an indication that one is begging to be excluded from ordinary content. If this is somehow a strange statement to you, consider the following example: Permabeginners have been doing quests for rewards (some good, some not so good) since at least as far back as 2003 in KMS. The Challenges System proposes to add new quests that, like the quests that MapleStory has always had, have level requirements and give rewards. If we went back and changed all of those classic quests so that the ones with a level requirement above 10 required the character to be 1st job or higher, then those permabeginners would no longer be able to do the classic quests. You could say: ah, but you chose to be a permabeginner; a class that has historically been neglected by Wizet/Necksawn! But consider if the Challenges System was available not to 3rd- and 4th-jobbers, but rather, to all jobs that aren’t Rogues/Bandits/CBs/Shadowers, for fear of “beginner-mage”-style exploits. You could say: ah, but you chose to be a Shadower; a class that has historically been neglected by Necksawn! But I doubt anyone would buy that argument; the argument only sounds vaguely convincing if you target jobs (viz. odd jobs) that people poorly understand and thus cannot fully understand the argument.

If that doesn’t convince you because those quests were not added by MapleLegends (viz. they were added by Wizet), consider some quests that were added by MapleLegends: the ten Monster Book Ring quests, each one of which awards another tier of the Monster Book Ring. No outlanders are excluded from these quests per se; it is just content that you might or might not be up to the challenge for. Permabeginners, and 4th-job magelets (or whatever odd-jobbed characters you like) are going to have a harder time of card-hunting than, say, a completely non-odd corsair. Is that wrong? Do you have a very serious issue with that? Card-hunting is considered — both inside and outside of the oddball community — to be valuable content to the game, which gives people (1.) another activity to do besides grinding, bossing, questing, PQing, etc., and (2.) meaningful rewards that change the way that people interact with the game.

• If odd-jobbers are “excluded” from the Challenge System in any actual way, it will (or should) be because the Challenges are too difficult for them, and no one is going to complain about that; some odd jobs have severe weak points, and people know that when they choose to be that job! This is the “spirit” of odd play that you seem to have such a hard time finding for some reason; odd-jobbers are not only more than okay with, but intimately familiar with their limitations! This is completely different from being arbitrarily gatekept based on the moral equivalent of an obscure legal statute that observes whether or not you happened to job advance beyond a random grade. Which again, I may note that many odd-jobbers are 3rd or 4th job, so they are fine as-is — your “coldly say[ing] with little remorse” doesn’t even apply to these odd-jobbers, and why? Many of them are much “weaker” than their job-locked counterparts. Is there something else that you care deeply about that you just aren’t using any words whatsoever to express?
    • You seem to be conflating “suboptimal” and “odd-jobbed” and “perma-≤2nd-job”, when these, in reality, only overlap slightly. I have talked about this many (and I do mean many) times — and at great length, I might add; I will once again apologise for my writing style — in my diary, and I am a little bit tired of sounding like a broken record. Nevertheless, I will say it again just in case the casual reader is confused: many suboptimal characters are non-odd, many odd chars are optimal for what they do (and are thus not suboptimal at all), not all odd-jobbers are perma-≤2nd-jobbers, and yes, not even all perma-≤2nd-jobbers are odd (although this very last point about non-odd perma-≤2nd-jobbers is far too subtle to be relevant here; I only mention it for completeness).
    • One of the things that you point out is that playing an odd-jobbed character (or, more generally, any oddball character that is off the beaten path, regardless of whether or not it is odd-jobbed) is voluntary, and a playstyle choice. This is, as it is, very correct, but twisting this logic to become un-logic is only confusing to you and everyone involved: if a player decides that the Challenge System is not appropriate for their character/build/job/path, then they can simply voluntarily choose not to do it. That is a playstyle choice — make no mistake. Similarly, if a player decides that the Monster Book Ring quests are not appropriate for their character/build/job/path, then they can simply voluntarily choose not to do it. Similarly, if a player decides that LPQ* is not appropriate for their character/build/job/path, then they can simply voluntarily choose not to do it. And so on…
    • People have made arguments exactly like the ones that I am making, long before I ever started playing on this server. That is why we have some of the nice things that we have, like — for example — the fact that the level 70 mount is not 3rd- or 4th-job only (it has no job requirements; you just have to be level ≥70). And yet, somehow, I have yet to see an argument like the one that I am replying to; no one said any of this about weird job-restricted chars getting to use mounts, even though Necksawn did that one (i.e. it was not MapleLegends’ fault to begin with; they just kindly undid Necksawn’s sloppy job). The level 70 mount has been available to these job-locked characters for a long time now, and still to this day, I hear people openly being thankful & grateful for it; in your view, this was apparently a mistake that was presumably only prompted into actual in-game implementation by entitled whiners. And yet, when non-odd players ask for basic, seemingly reasonable things in the same manner, their job (odd or not) is never called into question.
    • You say “forced inclusion”, but this is completely backwards; it is “forced exclusion”.
    • You say “making suboptimal playstyles optimal” as if it’s somehow ridiculous, but you do not listen to what comes out of your mouth. Rest assured that, although this does not apply to absolutely everyone who has ever played an odd-jobbed character that can be considered “suboptimal” in some sense, many of us (myself included) sweat pretty damn hard to optimise our characters within the constraints that we have laid for ourselves. This is the spirit of the oddball, once again in case you were still missing that spirit. A highly-optimal permabeginner is a beautiful thing to behold, and if whiting Capt. Latanica with your peers because of all of that hard, grueling optimisation work that you put into your permabeginner isn’t beautiful to you, then that’s totally fine. A lot of people don’t even like MapleStory at all, much less a particular playstyle within it! No one is asking you to like it; none of the posts in this thread (excepting this one) are directed at you, nor do they concern you. What also doesn’t concern you is how much someone else decides to optimise their character within the constraints that they have chosen for themselves.
    • If these posts sound “entitled” to you, note that I often feel the same way. I absolutely loathe writing these things, and it gives me immense anxiety to post them when I know that it’s hard for outsiders to interpret them in the correct light. But the reason why I do it anyways is simple: if the MapleLegends staff don’t go and ask odd-jobbers (or questers, or paladins, or whatever…) about these things, they are going to get it wrong some of the time. That’s not an indictment of the simple fact that they got it wrong; mistakes happen, the MapleLegends staff members are ordinary human beings like anyone else, and I acknowledge that, so I just try to help fix those mistakes! The problem is that this can create an unhealthy relationship that is based on secrecy; if MapleLegends staff are secretive about what they are considering or about what they think, and they don’t consult anyone, then we just get surprised by it. This case is better than most, because the Challenges System is not released yet (at least, not fully). So there is time for feedback! And that’s what this post is for: feedback. If it comes off as pointed, that is partly my writing style (I seem to have a bad habit of reading too much nonfiction), and partly the fact that these “surprises” are a common occurrence for the oddball community, so it starts to become harder to attribute to innocent negligence (even though it is innocent negligence, including in this specific case). If comes off less as “pointed” and more as “too entitled” or “too whiny”, then I can just stop engaging with the server; you do not need to tell me twice (I vastly prefer to just play the game, myself)! I am just here to help, and you will have to believe me when I say that this gives me absolutely no pleasure. Again, I will once more apologise for my writing style, and I hope that my idiosyncratic style — fueled by my odd choice of literature to read — doesn’t make my points any less valid.

*In the past few months, I made a character myself that is effectively quest-only, so I skipped LPQ entirely (as it is not tied to any quests, so I cannot justify doing more than zero runs). This character happens to be of an odd job, but note that these two things are completely separable: the “quest-only” challenge would still be completely coherent even if I were a 110% non-odd character, and the “odd-jobbed” part would still be completely coherent even if I didn’t do many quests, and did other stuff instead.

tl;dr yes, and this question just so happens to be totally irrelevant to the conversation (although the answer, if you were wondering, is indeed “yes”).

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    By this logic, isn’t Aufheben also technically an unfair addition to the game, as all odd-jobbers created prior to the addition of NT2 did not have the knowledge at the time to “opt out” of this new content? Could this logic not be applied to any content added to the game after the creation of an odd-job character?

Unless the addition of content directly influences the content that a character previously had access to at the time of creation, has anything actually changed? All of the gameplay that an odd-jobber previously had access to at the time of character creation… is still there, is it not? While they may not have access to things like HP challenges, they never planned on having access to them in the first place.

Like iPippy said, I also am not opposed to removing the job restrictions, but this line of reasoning used to justify demanding change for something that doesn’t affect already created characters seems odd to me.

11. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    7:24 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I wonder how many hours you spent typing this and the subsequent replies. Hours that could have been used to farm NX in exchange for AP reset against something that is far from being released and finalised.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:24 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    It looks to me the distaste toward beginner mage (technically also an oddity) is telltale of oddjobs' romanticization of suboptimal strategies and therefore should have no problem forgoing the new challenges system. I would like to clarify from my guide that there are costs and risks unique to the "class" and if I were to have gone public with the guide before job advancing, it would have been immediately barred. The greatest risk was 2.5 years of voting--which would have been an additional 1.5 years without damp forest. In that span of time SP refunding precedents were overturned and beginner mages were deemed "fixed" when they began to lose SP when advancing past lv14. It should be known that all of HP washing is originally an exploit. Choosing when to advance isn't. Today, beginner mages have a bright future, gaining players, and are only oddity allowed in higher level meta gameplay.

BTW: Don't get me wrong, I actually support permabeginners getting the full 12k. Maybe we'll get to enjoy more beginner videos smacking bosses with their pool noodles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    12:24 PM
    Well, the challenge system was made to allow all content to be doable across the different classes in consideration of the skills they have.
    To put it through naively, say for permabeginners, if we were to stay loyal to the goal, with them not having any skills to assist with damage mitigation, then it will be needed to have 19k HP like Buccaneers to be able to survive Aufheben to keep in line with others.
    Well, one can also argue the case with a range style beginner that requires less HP but why stop there and exclude the ones that want to be a melee style beginner, then it becomes that the range style beginner have too much HP, and more checks need to be added to make sure what is done is not "abusable".
    Then, there is also a secondary goal which is to retain the class identity, which is why warriors have higher HP, which to this respect, then beginners should have lower HP than higher jobs, but any lower will "exclude" them from doing certain content when it is doable for others.

There is also the case with regards to the challenge itself being aim to have some class-specific things to do.
    To include oddjobs would also mean that we have to think of what can be potentially done without making it "exclusive".
    It would be pretty pointless to create a system that can potentially give, say permabeginner, x amount of HP, but technically impossible to complete if one of the challenge is say, use x skill that the permabeginner has no access to or to do x damage to, say horntail, which might be impossible even with the full timer used when higher jobs can complete it without much difficulty.
    There is some level of assumptions that goes behind designing the system and it is rather hard to contextualise for alternative playstyles which is why I asked earlier, and hoping to understand.

Anyhow, there are multiple things that need considerations and staff has to pick what kind of battles we want to do without making the workload too overwhelming to the point of stagnation. The feedback post was done to see what have been overlooked or not considered enough, which this post has shed some light with regards to oddjobbers. Thanks for being the voice of oddjobbers and help explaining the context behind them. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    Tbh I think we should implement some way for beginners and non-4th job classes to work their way towards obtaining 4th job skills.

As exciting as going offmeta is, I think we can all agree that spamming basic attacks and using the same skills over and over can get pretty boring.

In order to spice up oddjob progression, I propose the following:
    - A permabeginner can choose to spec into the first job class of their choice at Level 10 (maybe lower for Mages specifically) through some sort of job-themed quest;
    - A perma first jobber can choose to spec into the second job class of their choice at Level 30 through some sort of job-related quest;
    - A perma second jobber can choose to spec into the third job class of their choice at Level 70 through some sort of job-related quest; and finally,
    - A perma third jobber can choose to spec into the fourth job class of their choice at Level 120 through some sort of job-related quest.

The levels are just arbitrary, Ill leave that up to the balance team.

While we're here, could Viclocked/Ossyria-locked characters please get access to the other transportation methods? It would be immensely helpful. Thank you.

• Great Work Great Work x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This already exists. It's called job advancing to 4th job.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    ...do I really have to add a /s tag? I thought I was laying it on pretty thick there

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    To be fair I didn't read the rest of your post past the first sentence because of how ridiculous it was.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    Big ol' standing ovation honestly. -Insert Shia Lebouf manically clapping solo in a theater-

The whole idea for niche playstyles is that it doesn't care about base game features, not that it wants to benefit from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    2:24 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Be kind please. ^_^

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Taima

Taima Mushmom

May 23, 2021
    Female
    Taima
    Beginner
    Oddjobs
    One more text brick so I can rest my mind on this topic. I can see why this suggestion received the response that it has, to an extent. I can only speak for myself, but in the early hours after the HP Challenges were announced I succumbed to new feature hysteria a bit - yeah, we've all been through it. I latched on hard to the idea of the "HP Wash Alternative" without considering fully the actual challenges. I realized pretty quickly that this inadvertently seemed like we are aggressively dumping more work onto the staff, who are attending to the needs of a much wider population. Did we accidentally ask, "Can you build a new version of the HP challenges (which don't exist yet) scaled down just for my friends, a fully comprehensive challenge special for Beginners [and individually made for every other job restricted combination]?" I say "we" though every player who would support the suggestion or the base ideas of the suggestion has an individual view of what the challenges might look like. There isn't a manifesto we all signed and agree on fully, though deer's writing style may be mechanical enough to resemble one if you want it to.

I initially had an assumption that all characters would be given the same challenges to complete, that party play would be encouraged, and that the "3rd job or above" requirement was unnecessary, but expected considering almost everyone is playing MapleLegends as a normal job. That is new feature hysteria run wild when we only have half the details - we know the HP system, but not the challenges system. Luckily the GMs have been cool, they expected the explosion of posts about this thing; that's the point of an alpha test.

Earlier in this thread, I actually answered the question, "Why would Beginners need or want this extra HP?" rather than "What challenges should Beginners take on?" Which if you're asking, a smarter player who knows what they're talking about can answer, or we can revisit this after figuring out what a normal "HP challenge" looks like. Or we can just accept that for us, washing is NOT optional if you want to fully take part in the "late game ginner" content. I posted to explain the plight of the common "late-washed" Beginner from my perspective, but keep in mind this plight has to do with HP washing; the base gameplay is enjoyable as ever so I don't want to whine. I still would like this alternative to HP washing for all jobs including Beginners, but would not like to impose an undue burden on the developers, nor subject them to the mental pressure of always needing to factor in job restrictions (though in many cases, it is very simple to use a level req rather than a job req for custom content). I think if this HP change gave all characters higher natural HP gains per level that added to the exact same HP values given by the HP Challenges, nobody would think we are grabbing for something that is outside of our niche play style to suggest applying it to Beginners or pre-3rd jobs too (in fact it would be the sensible thing to do for HP progression). If HP Up items dropped from bosses, nobody would think less of Beginners for buying them from other players. Wanting to do these challenges and work to improve one's character seems the same to me, as the point of the system is to transform the server to be actually HP wash optional, finally.

In general I think HP washing should never be mandatory, even if playing a Beginner is optional. I actually like the added complexity of HP washing, but washing breaks the flow of the game when you must stop before you need to level, trade your LUKless leechgician for their INTs, ask your friends to please please borrow their expensive INTs too because this permanently affects the development of your character and can never be reversed (same points that have been covered one million times over). Even worse to forget to equip or not be able to equip INTs in time to level - then you actually regret leveling up. Imagine that, having your heart drop because you saw the blue explosion and LEVEL UP text? In normal gameplay, a level up should be a triumphant moment. In reality, you look ridiculous smacking around with an umbrella and towel, and you need to do that every single level up or face the disappointment. This is why I think we need the HP Wash Alternative too - but if we cannot be included reasonably in the HP Challenges system without imposing an undue burden, maybe the suggestion was naive, and I'll just put my Tuna back in the freezer and resign to the "classic HP wash" way of life. This server actually has catered to Campers, Islanders, and Beginners before in multiple ways that are celebrated by these players, so I don't see how some posters think this is so ridiculous that they should farm for upvotes in this thread.

The wording of the alpha test left much to the imagination, and I had assumed party play was the point of these challenges, nothing job or skill specific. We have no idea what the challenges will be yet, so speculation is wild and actually healthy. It's a totally appropriate time to make suggestions, as the alpha test post said: "Challenges are generally things to do that require decent amount of time and effort to complete. We hope to create challenges that promote active gameplay and interactions with others. (p.s.: we are open to ideas!)"

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1