1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Multimage Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Sep 30, 2022.

Is multimaging bad?

1. yes

98 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. no

32 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. neutral (not good or bad)

46 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. arcanaforum

arcanaforum Snail

Oct 5, 2021
    10:39 AM
    Priest
    Multimaging is actually good IMO for people who will work their asses to earn some mesos for progression.

i used to only sell leech but after multimaging was discovered it takes off the hassle of finding buyers.
    Like e.g when you go online and you only have 2 hours to play and you need mesos. So you just boot up 4 clients and start multimaging instaed of wasting time waiting for buyers to mega or looking at discord for buyers.

And benefits of multimaging are,
    1)you can afk anytime if you got urgent stuff
    2)you can just stop anytime inbetween instead of commiting the 2 full hours of selling leech without breaks etc
    3)you can take breaks for food etc.

So without multimaging and brings the inconvience of players that have limited time but need mesos.

Ultimately people just quit and leave the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TermiteLover

TermiteLover Brown Teddy

Nov 8, 2021
    3:39 PM
    Guildless
    I don't necessarily think it's multi-maging thats the problem, its the perception that multi-maging is the most efficient thing to do, and, as how multi-magers describe it, very easy and mindless. The new patches have made progress to making it more difficult (or requiring more attention atleast), which is a step in the right direction. I am more than happy for multi-maging to be the best money in the game, if it required them to get very sweaty to get that money. Currently, it seems like multimaging is too good for the effort required.

3. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    10:39 PM
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    If we could create progression in forms independent of the mesos economy, we would provide means for players to progress fairly without being completely eclipsed by multimagers. Just have like untradable quest quotients for some kind of meaningful progression that is like 90% as fast as multimagers. Multimaging taking more effort/investment, pays out more. Prestigious coins don't address this in any way (except making bosses more profitable, which is great but equilibrium is a lonnnnnnnng way off. What did ovv or whoever say back when it was being discussed, 5.5mil prestigious coins will 'equalize' bossing to maging?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    non multimagers need to have more gratitude and aprecieate that they can at least whack mushrooms. Practice grattitute becasuse you will never be as rich, or powerful as some other players. I advise 4 methods to improve quality of life and enjoyment.

1. Buy a crt monitor, - cant go wrong with the beautiful glowing phosphors of the crt monitor, the light will subcintirously make your brain relese serotonin

2. Get some nice weeb music = improve serotonin

3. Build a cozy setup, something that wont give you scoliolsis and allow serotonin to flow through ur blood stream with eases. Improves 10 percent durability for long grind sessions.

4. Grind on green maps. The color green has the ability to chill out ur brain and release serotonin

5. Get second CRT monitor to watch anime on to double serotonin input to the bloodstream.

(Many of u will need displayport to vga adapters with newer graphics cards)

Trickle down mageonomics should theoretically balance out the discrepancy of the rich/vs poor. To be fair I think its already happening. So many rich mother fuckers running around, its really eazy to make a new character and beg and get like 2 mill. Power creep in items is real thing too. Like U can get some stuff that used to be really op and rare for pretty good price now idk.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  5. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    7:39 PM
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    I want an entire 80's/90's 12 tv x12 tv store display, how do I set that up?

6. Krythan

Krythan Wolfspider

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    In my opinion, in this game:
    • There will always be an "optimal" path for any defined goal.
    • There will always be unique ways to circumvent the intended game design for efficiency.

When I think of my best MapleStory moments, I think of:
    • Killing monsters with friends
    • Meeting, chatting, trading, hanging out with people
    • Assembling groups of classes, each with their own strength and weakness to play together.

"The mechanics of a game should be designed to encourage the behavior you hope to see"

As I see it, it's rather an issue of how this particular meta impacts the community.
    • Multi-maging is a solitary experience

The game mechanics that make multi-maging the most efficient path, are directly contrary to the behaviour that I associate and enjoy with the game. I want to meet people, explore places, create groups to grind and battle big monsters. Multi-maging is efficient, but it makes the world empty. It takes people out of cooperative activities, it takes people out of bossing parties, it takes people out of the multiplayer part of a multiplayer game. If MapleLegends wants to encourage the behavior that I most desire in the game - then assembling groups of diverse classes to work together and beat challenges would be the most profitable path to progression.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Right now, pink bean is probably the only content that fits your ideal model. Unfortunately, it is limited to once a week for balance concerns. There may be more content like pink bean in the future, like lionheart castle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    Eziest way to get a video wall off a computer is buy an hdmi to RF adapter then split the rf cable to however many tv's you want.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jackii Kon

Jackii Kon Dark Stone Golem

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    3:39 AM
    Dragon Knight
    :(
    Little bit about me first before I delve into my opinion on multimaging, multiclienting, etc.

I started playing on this server in 2015,which wow it's been 7 years.
    In almost every single mmo I play I tend to pursue hyper optimization and top level performance. I am not against putting in the effort to get just a small edge over someone who does not. Where I draw the line is exploiting, bug abuse or even straight up unintended use of mechanics that negatively impact other players.

When I started playing Legends back then the playerbase was significantly smaller, I believe multiclienting was either not a thing or bannable..?
    From 2015 to I wanna 2016 I was playing actively every single day and wanted to do the high end content available at the time due to never actually having experienced it as a kid back on global MS. I made a hero because I remembered that was what I had the most fun on as a kid. I was blissfully unaware of maplestory meta. DPM, hp washing yadda yadda all meant nothing to me at the time but I educated myself on them. Quickly I realized I made a mistake. No INT gear or investment into int, didn't make a bishop as first character that kinda stuff. At that point I looked at the game and realized that this is a private server, I have no idea how long itll even stay up for as it could disappear pretty much any day and I came to the conclusion that for me hyperoptimizing in this game just wasn't worth it.

It is, after all, the silly mushroom game on a private server.

I've witnessed the change in the server and playerbase over the last 7 years, nowadays I come back every year or so to see how things are going.

Needless to say I was incredibly surprised when at some point I saw people running every conceivable party buff mule, playing 4 mages covering the entire map and staying there for the next 16 hours refreshing buffs, nuking the map, picking up all the loot, rinse and repeat. This was way beyond the level of sweat that I decided wasn't worth it back then.
    I returned in 2020 and played for more or less another year, made a new character, grabbed some int gear, washed...the basics. But after that year I looked at my gear and my character and realized that in this economy I am not gonna get shit done playing a single warrior. My biggest source of income is gacha.

Now I do not know the numbers of how much money you actually generate playing 29 mages with every buff sitting on the best map for 16 hours a day vs how much money you make selling runs and just playing 1 regular attacker, but I cannot for the life of me see that shit being healthy for the economy. I do not know when or why (or if even at all) staff changed their stance on multiclienting but personally I feel like it's a worse state of the game compared to back then.
    I also had a group of 3 friends trying to get into the game when I came back in 2020, needless to say their main source of income was also gacha. They could not afford anything if they didn't get lucky on there, which ultimately led to them quitting as they also didn't want to play a job that they don't wanna play, on multiple clients at that.

The whole multiclient multimage debate is a question on: Who should the game be balanced around?
    Do you balance around the top 1% sweat, keep the multistuff viable and to a degree mandatory if you wish to come anywhere close to the top?
    Do you balance around Timmy who logs in once every week to grind his favorite spot from GMS for 1 or 2 hours?

I don't know the answer to this question.
    But what I do know is that for players like me or my group of friends the game and economy is in a worse state than in 2015/2016.

"So just play another server that's better suited to you and your friends"
    That's an option I guess but I really enjoyed the relatively vanilla grind experience Legends provided along with the community and staff from back in the day, so maybe it's best to let the mushroom game rest.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    11:39 PM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    But why do you need to be on top? Which content you're locked because you don't have perfect gears? Like, what's the game you were playing casually that you could reach the top? Wanting to be on top requires higher efforts, as any other game you play. It's actually much easier on maple, because with few levels and basic gears you can do every single content.
    And also you can be lucky and get in 1 month what end game players farmed in 1 year. Or you an make friends and wait for them to quit lmao

11. beegoratto

beegoratto Skelosaurus

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Timmy probably doesn’t care about how the economy is doing or buying perfect weapons

12. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    I think the natural tendency to want to optimize every aspect of the game messes with people's perspectives.

Someone was saying how it's reasonable to get 1 perfected equip per year, but then don't realize that you don't need perfected equips(probably don't even need well scrolled stuff, honestly), to be able to get your foot in the door for any raiding content.

Is it nice? Yeah. Is it what people desire? Of course. Is it what people assume when they theorize? Probably. But it's entirely fine to get your washes up to a certain point and just coast with what you have, what you're building towards, as long as it meets the minimum(which, as far as I know, is well below "perfect").

I think we're debating/arguing over what the game ideally should be balanced around. One group is claiming that balance isn't optimized for end game, but should? And the other side is questioning why they think that. At least, I think that's what I'm reading lol

13. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    10:39 AM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Of course you don't need perfect gear to play all the content. Just eat enough apples and you can do any content.

It is about the road map of progression as a player, elite or causual. There should be a feasible path for every player to progress their gears toward the so called perfect weapon as a form of game progression, just like leveling up.

An average player who plays everyday can probably farm enough coin for a 1 slot of weapon over a year, at an average rate of 3 coins a days. Even if you end up with +4/3 slot weap, it will take your 3 years to finish it. Personally I just feel this is too slow as a healthy progression.

There is no fun in playing a game where there is little to no progression at all. People's gear remain stagent for a long period of time, and it is just boring after a while. Level pretty much capped, gears pretty much capped,then what's there to play for? And when things get boring, people leave.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I want 20 attack facestompers, but I feel like the progression towards them is too long. This is unhealthy for the server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I agree with you, it's unhealthy for the server.

16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    9:39 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    just apq and pop more apples lol

if ur party member is 50b more funded with 20 more wa, just apple 25% of the duration and you can match them with like 2 apples in a 90 minute ht run

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    people want to be as good as sweaty players without same efforts. i dont think it's fair, and i dont consider myself sweaty.
    i dont know if at this point we have a lot of end game players and newest ones feel bad for not having same things, but most of them are here for years, and some are playing effectively for years too.
    its funny cuz i remember some names in my mind that even after getting perfect items didnt stop farming. it's just insane to think after perfect weapon, 21+ gloves, 17+ cape, people still have motivation to keep going. that's the reason i believe they just deserve what they have. and trust me, if you have basic gears and apple once or twice in a run, you might white them all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Good luck trying to afford anything if you apple on poverty dragon runs.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jackii Kon

Jackii Kon Dark Stone Golem

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Dragon Knight
    :(
    The issue is not getting bis equipment or the time investment behind it, it's the means by which they are acquired. Things would obviously lose meaning if they were easy to get, who cares if I get 20atk facestompers if they only take a week to get at best. Bis should be difficult/grindy to achieve but I'm not sure if that justifies booting up 9 clients and screwing over the economy. The fact that I did not wish to sweat was a personal decision, not a take on balance or server health.

Multiclienting is more efficient than not multiclienting of course, and I see this debate every single year when I come back to check on things.
    I see familiar names in the threads every time, saying the same things.

I'd love to see it gone but I think it's pretty much pointless to make these threads every time, generate imaginary multimager A and imaginary multimage hater B and somehow manage to start another loop. If staff wanted multiclienting gone it would've been gone a while ago, it's just how the server is and has been for quite a while now. This is actually the first time I decided to post my two cents on the topic, not like it'll change anything.

So, clearly, everyone defending it is aligned with the servers direction and thus objectively speaking correct.

20. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    maybe if you APQ you can do that. but even if you cant afford daily, so what? we are talking about matching a casual guy with a hardcore sweaty player anyway, that wasnt even supposed to happen.

but you know latest changes kinda removed multimage, right?

• Agree Agree x 1