1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about cash drag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krythan, Oct 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    11:33 AM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    "Holding any extra cash on top of what you need in the near term is known as "cash drag" — cash that is underperforming compared to what you could make if that money were invested. History shows that financial markets rise over the long term, so excess liquidity means you could be losing out on some valuable returns." - Wealthfront

What's this mean for MapleLegends? Similar (in certain ways) to real world markets, games such as MapleLegends encounter periods of inflation.

"Inflation is a rise in prices, which can be translated as the decline of purchasing power over time." - Investopedia

The GMs have addressed inflation in the past, and taken measure to reduce it's impact on the server. Time will tell if these measures produced the desired results.

If the game is experiencing inflation, then one would expect a decline in purchasing power. Meaning, your mesos are worth LESS than they were yesterday. As you sit on large piles of mesos, those assets may be loosing value over time.

Traditionally financial advice tells you to reduce your cash drag exposure, by keeping cash to a minimum, and parking money in an asset that will track with inflation.

What are your thoughts?

1. Are we experiencing inflation since the October 2022 updates?
    2. Is cash drag an issue in MapleLegends?
    3. How might a player mitigate cash drag? Are prestigious coins the appropriate investment vehicle to ensure your asset's purchasing power tracks inflation?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    8:33 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It's important not to conflate real life interactions with money and in-game interactions with mesos.
    In real life, if you run out of money, you starve and go homeless. In game, you simply find a different job and print more money in a different way.

That said, investing your mesos into assets with utility value can be risky. Look at all the people that got fucked over because of the white scroll change. People used to think white scrolls were a failproof investment plan so they hoarded tons of white scrolls on storage mules only to later find out they'd become untradable with an added conversion tax.

I think a lot of people feel the same way with the current state of prestigious coins - that the price can only go up as more people look to perfect their gear or chaos their weapons. However, recently we've seen large economic balance changes alongside relevant meso flow data reports. Multimaging got a few changes here and there to decrease its scalability, NLC pot price changes managed to rescale the profitability of leech while directly increasing the meso sink, and more people are utilizing their bossing profits (coins) to engage in the market for goods. Who knows what changes may come in the future?

So regarding your questions, I think it's hard to say for sure. I think mesos today can buy you a lot better gear than 5 years ago, but if you are looking to buy prestigious coins to white scroll/chaos scroll, you're competing against players that have access to billions of mesos or sizable meso generating schemes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. asdsaou

asdsaou Mushmom

Oct 10, 2021
    Male
    8:33 AM
    asdsaou2
    Corsair
    I think you're conflating inflation in meso terms to a decrease in purchasing power. Investopedia would be correct in their definition.... if ML was run on the US dollar, Euro, etc.

It's likely that the GMs are purposely letting inflation run hot. Inflation can be a very good thing to correct issues in an economy. For example, if you wanted to incentive social play and bossing, you make coins drop from only bosses or social events, and you make them more valuable (have their price rise compared to mesos). You make the mesos that multi-magers produce less valuable by encouraging meso price inflation on goods at the same time. For everyone but the multi-mages, purchasing power has risen substantially. Coins have actually greatly increased income for bossing. There are some issues that come from this such as causing inflation (from a mesos perspective) on low to mid-tier end-game items or crafting supplies such as 30% scrolls (due to higher household income and subsequently increased spending).

Also, how do you know what amount of cash you would need in the near term? I wouldn't say that wealthfront is an unbiased source on this. They seem invested in getting you to invest. I'm not a financial advisor and this does not constitute financial advice. Please see an accredited professional if you want advise. It is of my personal opinion that financial planning really depends on your goals, duration, and the risk that emerges from the feasibility of reaching your goal within your target duration and tolerance for risk. For some people, the best strategy is holding everything in cash. For others, it's to use a YOLO kelly criterion growth strategy with 3x leveraged ETFs, and frequent rebalancing, while borrowing capital with the risk of being margin called. It's hard to really say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    11:33 AM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    Very true! I agree, I shouldn't be comparing the in-game economy to real world markets.

-ovv-ovv I think you're right, any value lost (if any) to inflation is better than the risk of putting your money into prestigious coins or other assets in the hopes of long term marginal gains.

• Like Like x 1