1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Update [Beta Test] Challenges System - HP Wash Alternative

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by xiaoyaoz, Feb 19, 2023.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    4:39 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I look forward to the @mapowner drama in deep ludi and ellinia-orbis boat

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Yes. It is irreversible. You cannot opt out once you opt in

Unfortunately no

3. Joy Celeste

Joy Celeste Mushmom

Nov 11, 2021
    Female
    Celeste
    These challenges might be too easy, but I’ll hold judgement until I can do them. I know it’s a level 100 challenge but my 300 int Marksman would have been able to finish it at level 120 in about 15 seconds. I don’t recall the sort of damage I was doing at level 100 but this challenge couldn’t have taken more than 10 minutes. Given this is meant for players who are unwashed, they can easily finish these in no time.

The class-specific challenges are way too easy compared to the global one which looks like a really long grind (3+ hours).

If you participate in the beta are you locked into challenges when they’re actually released?

4. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I’ll give my thoughts about this on what I think about this first tier on paper since I don’t think my opinions will change much.
    • Is it too easy? Is it too complicated? How do you find the difficulty?
    I think the first tier should be deliberately very simple so it can serve as an introduction to the system. In this regard, this first tier is good.

Though I will say 10000 deep ludi monsters might be a bit overkill for level 100 players. I’ve done evil eyes every day for like a week before with the 999 quest and even with the absurd spawns it can take a long time for single target classes. And the spawns and monster hp in deep ludi are much worse than evil eye cave. Considering there are 8 more tiers after this and the initial reward is small it might be better to ease it with the grind. These kinds of grindy challenges are better reserved for level 120+ challenges in my opinion.

I will also say that the class specific challenges seem a little generic for this first tier. As a “challenge” I would expect it to be something that actually encourages you to play the game in a novel or interesting way. Everyone will use strafe or lucky 7, especially when they have to kill 10000 deep ludi mobs. And as this is intended for unwashed attackers this challenge could be done in 20 minutes realistically. It seems disproportionately easy compared to the global challenge.

As I said earlier, since this is the first tier this is all okay. It just wouldn’t make for a good trend going into later tiers.
    • Is it not inclusive?
    I’d say as is, it is inclusive to 95% of players. I’m sure the staff has already seen the thread regarding beginners and oddjobs being unable to participate which I still hope can be addressed in the final version. Other than that, players who were washing previously but want to change their mind after hearing about the system may have difficulty participating while gathering the 100-200 APRs to reset their stats.

My personal hope is the class-specific challenges get reworked or removed entirely. Partly to increase inclusion, but also because it’s restrictive in what skills you add into when you are playing your character. For example, I would not want to do this on an outlaw because burst fire sucks so bad and I would never spec into it until it’s required for rapid fire in 4th job since you lose access to double shot.
    • What combination of mandatory + optional challenges do you think would be appropriate?
    The current system as laid out looks solid. Though I don’t really understand the purpose of the special challenges yet.
    • Any suggestions on numbers (such as damage dealt) or general feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Damage dealt needs to be way higher, probably 5x-10x more at least. You don’t need to go easy, this is unwashed attackers we are talking about. You will be dealing damage at basically any point you are playing MapleStory.

Other than that it looks like a good system on paper. More interesting challenges would be cool in the later tiers, and it could be more inclusive, but otherwise I don’t have any criticisms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    tfw the strat for level 100 challenge is still to get leeched to 120 so you can unlock your 4th job skills first

• Like Like x 1
  6. misterpippin

misterpippin Blue Snail

Feb 9, 2023
    7:39 AM
    MisterPippin
    One of the challenges should involve ores or something newbies get a lot of. I was really struggling to make ends meet when I started and it would be cool if there was something higher level players wanted from me other than fame

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    1:39 PM
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    The concept is really cool and I could imagine there are gonna be some very unique challenges in the future.

I would change the Nearest Town Scroll and hair changing challenge. I personally think they seem more like a filler of sorts to make the challenge take a bit longer and are closer to annoying or a chore, rather than being fun, unique or difficult (granted HP washing still takes the cake for being the most annoying).

That’s the only feedback I can think of for now! Can’t wait to check them out!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    Paladin
    Funk
    While you’re probably correct, I think it would make more sense thematically to require the use of a skill one can actually utilize at that point in time, seeing as this is the level 100 challenge after all.

This passage by xiaoyaoz further indicates that it’s the approach they wanted to take. Perhaps dealing X amount of damage with elemental charge Y would be a better approach, since WKs generally just use slash blast til they’re a few levels deep into their 4th job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Venekathas

Venekathas Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 16, 2022
    Male
    Venekathas
    Shadower
    Aspect
    If the Optional categories require all the previous ones in that tier to be completed, then it limits options. Each tier should exist in a vacuum. Level 100, kill 10 Crogs or use 100 Return scrolls. Say level 110, kill Manon and/or Griffey 10 times or use 1000 potions. If I want to do the Manon/Griffey, I shouldn't have to have already killed the Crogs. They rarely spawn and the scrolls are way easier. Now I feel I wasted the 100 scrolls, or should never bother with the boss option challenges. Even more down the line when 160 has a bossing option I would prefer, I need to go back and kill 60 other bosses? Yikes.

Also, I find the return scrolls to be way too easy an lacking engagement. If the first tier focuses on solo endeavors, have the second tier focus on group endeavors. Gain (or grant) X amount of EXP from party members. Complete X number of party quests. If its kill 10 of a boss solo, have it be 5 of another boss as a group to encourage group play.

Each tier can focus on common things players should be exposed to around those levels and the options could differ between solo play, group play, or social play. I like that the special challenges act as a stretch goal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:39 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    but anyway, for warrior is always better wash normal than challenge

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    7:39 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  12. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    10k deep ludi monster is like almost 3 whole levels' worth assuming you're doing it at level 100

I guess it gives an excuse to grind, if nothing else

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nickyyo

nickyyo Snail

Feb 19, 2023
    Male
    2:39 PM
    this is a good approach in tackling the problems of hp washing but realistically, i think that only casual players will prefer this challenge over the traditional hp washing route. that, or veterans who are looking to make a quick character without spending money on leech and/or time on saving up nx. i do not think anyone would be willing to "main" or "invest" in a character that is subpar in terms of their hp.

as someone who is new to the server, forcing myself to be reliant on hb for content of my level and requiring hb for pb even when i'm 200 is not ideal. i would rather create 12 accounts now for each of the classes to vote daily and come back in 3 months when some of my characters have enough nx to start washing, than to create a subpar character that constantly require hb.

while the intent of preventing players from abusing this challenge system to reach 30k hp is good, perhaps there could be a better way to prevent this than just simply locking ap into hp/mp.

instead of locking the ap, i suggest significantly reducing the hp gain/mp lost per ap reset after accepting the challenge route. for example, instead of gaining 16 (16-20) hp and losing 12 mp for a thief when using an ap reset (adding a fresh ap), their formula could be modified to gaining 8 (8-10) hp and losing 6 mp instead. this way, players who opt for the challenge route will not result in a subpar character as they can continue to wash, albeit at a slower pace. at the same time, it does not make achieving 30k hp easier for them.

here is a rough visualisation of the idea in terms of hp and ap resets required. the hp values are not definite and are just used as an example.
    upload_2023-2-20_2-42-35.png

14. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:39 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I dont agree with the part of easy hp for ranged, the challenge dont is to replace hp wash since its unfair to warrior for example.

but use this part of wash give less hp to who do challenge can be Nice, agree on It

15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There’s nothing stopping you from doing this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kerlim

kerlim Mano

Jan 6, 2023
    6:39 PM
    Kerlim
    Shadower
    Can you make it so that paladins don't lose their elemental charge buff after using charge blow?

17. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Will doing the challenges lock you out of MP washing? Will doing the beta challenges lock you out of HP/MP washing?

18. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    7:39 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Why do we need the class specific challenge when the general challenge is probably the "toughest" one already. I believe the class challenge would already be done if you are actively trying to do the general challenge. I can see it as an anti-leech component that you need to deal damage and not hang on a rope. Why not just make it a non-leechable one?

Less things, so it is easier to manage and less complains on small balance issues?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ambrose

Ambrose Stone Golem

Dec 22, 2017
    Male
    Caterina, TheNL
    Cleric
    Elluelians
    Just a thought, keep these challenges ongoing to maintain the need to continue to work and maintain that bonus health, not just for 1 time challenge rewards for a permanent hp gain.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  20. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Will there be a ‘class’ specific quest for Permabeginners too?