1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information February 2023 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Feb 19, 2023.

1. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    4:26 PM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    While many find it difficult to get a bishop for ht, the best change to make is to prevent beginner mages from getting more hp.

Mages have low hp while every other class is washed to 30k, amazing work

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    10:26 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't like how avoid and Achilles are removed during Zerk. It feels like Zerk devalues those things and I don't think any skill should devalue other skills/stats like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mers

Mers Slime

Sep 17, 2020
    Male
    1:26 AM
    Mers
    I/L Mage
    Please let beginners bypass memory keeper's quest somehow.. glad I won't have to worry about job advancing accidently though :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. GodOfAlts

GodOfAlts Mano

Dec 9, 2021
    Male
    12:26 AM
    GodOfHeals
    Bishop
    HOOD

I agree with this 100%.

There are great changes with this patch, bravo team. I can play my drk again with enthusiasm.

Like this comment states though, some days its extremely difficult to find a petri/skele map. Would opening the mini dungeons again for the popular maps be feasible?

• Like Like x 2
  5. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    If Beginner Mages are an "exploit", then so is HP washing lol

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    2:26 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    If lets say you currently have 15k HP and you're about to take an attack that does 30k HP. You'll be taken down to 1 HP. So you can now survive things you previously couldn't!

Simple answer, yes. Power Guard has a number of limitations though (i) 40% of damage reflected (ii) can't return more than 10% of enemy's max HP. Aura has no damage cap and it reflects 100%.

Mana reflection actually reflects more damage at 200%, but it has a few limitations of its own (i) success rate of 60% (ii) can't return more than 20% of enemy's max HP. Aura has neither of these limitations.

Edit: Aura still only returns 10% of enemy's max HP. But:
    - Effects are not halved for bosses
    - Reflects touch AND ranged attacks
    - Has 100% success rate to reflect

The changes we see for this patch actually opens up a lot of doors for class changes and reworks. If players feel that our DK changes hit the mark and are not so intrusive to their Old School MapleStory experience, it becomes possible to touch up other classes in similar ways. Mages and more specifically bishops could be reworked if our community deems it necessary. Making some of their skills more useful, less muleable, more interactive, and make changes to their survivability and dependance on hitting certain HP values could be things we could look at.

We'd of course have to go through the feedback process, but from what I've read over the years, those are what I assume would be the recurring points in a mage/bishop feedback thread.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Power guard effect is additionally halved on bosses (and 95% of the mobs you'd care about using pg on are bosses). And of course only works on touch damage

8. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    How does Aura interact with Zerk? Is it going to reflect 1 damage every time?

9. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious

I like that you're taking the time to consider other classes for re-works. I believe it's important to look at the game as a whole, rather than to hyperzerk on one aspect. Given this will take additional time but it is worth it in the end.

Keep up the great work, cant wait to try the new changes when we can login!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. ooShawnyoo

ooShawnyoo Dark Stone Golem

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    Thank you so much for these DK changes!!! They are extremely similar (and even better) than what I had suggested in the feedback thread so that's awesome, really liking the active berzerk skill idea!

11. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    2:26 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Woops sorry quick edit on my original explanation about Aura, like PG it can't reflect more than 10% of the enemy's max HP. However, like what iPippy said:
    Can confirm that Aura's effect is not halved for bosses and works for ranged attacks too.

It reflects the amount of damage you took.
    1. So if you have 30k HP with Aura and Active Zerk on, you'll take 29,999 damage and also reflect 29,999 damage.
    2. If you have 2 HP with Aura and Active Zerk on, you'll only take 1 damage and therefore only reflect 1 damage.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gorgone95

Gorgone95 Red Snail

Jul 22, 2017
    Male
    1:26 PM
    gorgone95
    Cleric
    Aquila
    • Available channels reduce from 8 to 6
    Will map bosses spawn timer be reduce to compensate for less spawn?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    Agree with this and I am wondering besides petris if they were thinking about Skeles? That had a resurgence and its not uncommon to see every map filled up especially with all the bishops floating around. I hope they figure out a work around so the dumb "limited map" availability becomes a thing of the past and theres a quality of life change. One of the dumbest features of maple. At least make it separate instances so staff don't have to deal with "KSing reports" either. It makes it easier on them not wasting time with frivolous reports and better for players at the same time.

14. Vowels

Vowels Slimy

Jan 23, 2019
    2:26 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    I don't think we have much colliding points, the reason I'm quoting you is to expand on the beginner washing controversy and offer some complimentary views on the topic.

a) On January 2021 staff intended to kill this build and they were explicit about it:
    [​IMG]
    Despite the intent being clear, it wasn’t implemented correctly so it was possible for players to circumvent this balance decision and pretend nothing really happened. I would assume staff didn’t test enough and players didn’t bother communicating the discoveries. However the announcement still serves as a warning.

b) The efficiency of washing a beginner mage is extremely good compared to the classic build:

Beginner build: +8HP -8MP (1 HP : 1 MP)
    Classic build: +6 HP -30 MP (0.2 HP : 1 MP)

The beginner build is 5 times better than the classic build and personally I find this difference quite large even with the tax on points since a lot of skills are useless, and since you mentioned NL and BM I wanna draw a parallel just to make the point clear: If I were to tell you a new NL/BM build has been discovered that instead of washing [+16 HP -12 MP] washes [+80 HP -12 MP] would you think is broken.

c) It goes beyond mages:

There is a new highly efficient farming DK build that is able to use little to no pot costs in a server that has recently made pots more expensive for everyone.

I guess it just comes up on qualifying on whether all these things are problematic or not.

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    12:26 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I would have preferred if they clamped down on beginner DK instead, but here we are lol

Beginner mages really take a ton more NX (worse since it's frontloaded) than any 30k NL/BM where they are all optimized around MP washing. While the extra HP is great, the benefits are quite niche and comes with downsides - I have no skill other than meteor so I can't truely control (kb) minibeans.

In comparison, beginner DK can be finished with 50k NX.

That's literally the difference. I wish Balance Team would think a bit and work out alternative approaches before such drastic changes.

16. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    That’s interesting, so you can increase your damage with active zerk by using power elixirs to deal 30k dmg every time you get hit with the new beholder aura, or use white pills and essentially halve your pot costs. But if you use it in a situation where you can get hit by sed it’s basically a death sentence if you don’t have hero’s will.

Super cool mechanics, I really gotta hand it to the dev team for this one.

18. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    How does that even matter when every hit would bring you to 1 HP anyways, be it 1 damage or 300k damage

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Well, you're right in regards to Achilles. It wouldn't make sense to have Achilles reduce the damage so you don't go down to 1 HP which is what I was originally thinking of. But avoid should still work.

20. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    The stealth buff nobody is talking about; any dk can now walk through the 60k pillars

• Useful Useful x 2