1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Formal Proposal] Quester's Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 30, 2020.

Do you support this proposal?

1. Yes

497 vote(s)
    82.8%
  2. Yes, but needs changes (specify in thread)

84 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. No

19 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. FearfulCrow

FearfulCrow Blue Snail

Jul 15, 2022
    6:26 AM
    Magician
    Bumping in just to say that questing is one of my favorite parts of this game and would love to see an incentive to do them.

Hope to see this implemented some day!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HotCow

HotCow Brown Teddy

Mar 18, 2017
    Male
    10:26 AM
    HotCow
    Hunter
    Funk/NewLeaf
    BUMP! I really love this idea! OnionSpark

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    2:26 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    Quests > Challenges :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    Surprised I missed this. But, this implementation is more or less what I had in mind as the counterpart to the Monster Book. Excellent forum post SkuireSkuire.

It's been awhile since this thread's conception, but, balancing and considering implications is an extreme endeavour. I've coded and balanced things myself on other games so I'm aware of how long this could take, when there's so many quests to take into consideration here, especially with a small hobbyist team that comes and goes.

I think it'll take a while, most likely after the HP Challenges, that this will actually be implemented-- just a matter of time.

If anyone's interested in what needs to be done in order to make this a reality, here's what I think needs to be done:

• ✅ Spreadsheets of monsters/bosses w/ new Monster Defense stats
    • ⚠️ Economy implications of quest items (players hogging quest trade-able items for selling and therefore maps...)
    • ⚠️ Implement new quests for every tier
    • ⚠️ Decide whether completing quest lines, a number of quests, or key quests is the best choice (or a mix of two or three aforementioned)
    • ⚠️ Check whether it's too hard or easy to rank up in quests
    • ⚠️ Check at which point a Mapler should actually have access to these items (Level-wise? Job-wise?)
    • ⚠️ Room for future ML-exclusive items
    • ⚠️ Custom sprites implementation via client-side code of NPCs and Item itself
    • ⚠️ Test every quest to check if the counter is broken after implementing the code
    • ⚠️ Other aspects not mentioned...
    The HP Challenges are sort of a testing ground too here, especially when you consider that has multiple quests to rank up in HP. How that's done and is received would greatly influence the implementation of this quest ring.

As-is though, the item stats are really well thought-out. They balance nicely with the tedium of quest by adding defence and speed/jump-- these are things you want while going to place to place or while hunting (for quests). Plus, the speed/jump aspects isn't too high so you could combine with the Ring of Passion (event ring; ML-exclusive) or other speed/jump improving items (shoes, for instance).

To rapidly get some holistical data on how progression/implementation would work, sending an anonymous survey to those who've completed a substantial amount of quests is also a fantastic idea as well (it seems the Alpha+Beta testing from HP Challenges have opened the staff's eyes a bit regarding this :) )

Although, Skuire was probably the perfect candidate writing this forum post, as they completed a substantial amount of quests and has a penchant for journaling their experience (therefore, a clearer idea of the quest ring implementation).

I'm not sure if Skuire is still around, but they definitely laid out a great blueprint foundation. Big props :)

5. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Hood/Agape
    I'm probably best to respond to this particular point. I don't think we have much to worry about map hogging or etc hogging with regards to quests. Those with money working on new characters will spend their mesos for the etc items because its faster. The x3 quest experience also works in the lowbie's progression and, depending on the player, may be seen as a cheaper route to take if they value time over mesos. Because there are so many quests, it would take a large-scale, sophisticatedly coordinated guild syndicate to dominate maps and etcs to make any serious monopolistic fantasies become a reality. Having run The Junk Yard those few years where I sold these items on a regular basis as I got my 12 characters their T10 rings, I can assure everyone that the market for half of the questing etcs already exists and if the Quest Ring becomes a reality, a market will suddenly form for about another 1/6th of the quest items needed. There will always be questing etcs that will never find a market because the quests require a kill number less than or equal to the number of etcs from those mobs - which means observant players will never buy etcs they'll end up getting as they slay the necessary mobs.

Just an aside, my personal goal of getting 12,000 quests completed is currently at 11,800ish.

There is another element to contend with. Event quests, like the Valentine's Day quests, are removed each year the event begins again. This means someone could have 1000 quests done, get the ring, and then the quest ticker goes down to 996 because they have to redo some event quests. What kind of problems might this cause?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    Most likely, you're right, because the Monster Ring is a precedent and didn't really cause this issue to occur. What's a better indicator of map hoarding syndrome are EXP-grinding spots where Maplers tend to stay in the same map for long periods of time, especially for Leeching or popular class spots (i.e. Clerics at GS2). Though, I tried to leave these points as open-ended as possible for conversation.

Also, likely. I've also observed this pattern where monster kills are intertwined with ETC drops. While a market will develop/rapidly grow, it most likely won't be that big, thankfully.

Congrats! Nearly there :)

I believe some players were actually restricted to doing this year's Valentines because they've already finished last years, so it may be a non-issue. Additionally, since the Event Quests are limited, I don't think it would be that hard to implement a check to exclude those quests from being counted, or act like repeatable quests.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Didn't read all of this yet but event quests aren't the only way to lose quest count. Regardless this should be a non issue as you shouldn't lose the reward if it's already obtained.

8. imSK

imSK Red Snail

Mar 11, 2023
    2023! Will we see it this year? :cat:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    Who knows, the year is still long.

I'd like to spend just a few words about this proposal, it seems like I have never posted in this thread for some reason, which is almost criminal.
    First of all, it's a beautifully-developed suggestion (SkuireSkuire would I have permission to tweak Questelle's sprite?), and its existence is also the reason why the Challenge system does not include "preexisting quests completion" among its options.

We went for a completely different system to cover the majority of our washing-is-optional target, but that doesn't mean that the Quester's Ring can't have a different place in our game.

I will not approve this suggestion at this time, since it's not currently being discussed internally yet, but we'll get back at this once our queue clears up a bit.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    6:26 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Oh My F* God

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    5:26 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    QUEST RING

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Hood/Agape
    PastaPasta, do look at the updated pixel art Skuire made - it's fairly top notch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    3:26 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    so i wrote this thread a billion years ago and i get embarrassed every time i see it bumped or mentioned LOL! mostly because of my subpar pixel art on full display - i wasn't much of an artist then and im still not now.

anyway i see the thread is getting some attention again. haven't done so yet, but i'll try and read through some of the replies soonish and maybe rewrite a bit of the OP. and maaaaaaaybe another crack at spriting a maple styled npc to try and alleviate my embarrassment.

anyways thanks for all the support and discussion over the years! quest ring 2024?!?!

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  15. robert8

robert8 Mushmom

Oct 17, 2018
    Male
    UK
    9:26 AM
    Robert8
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Still no quest ring?