1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

weird drop rates on rare items (no quest items)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bizqnation, May 23, 2015.

is the rare items drop rate GMS-like?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2015.
  1. Yes

11.1%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Can't tell

55.6%
  1. bizqnation

bizqnation Orange Mushroom

May 20, 2015
    Male
    Lima, PerĂº
    8:12 PM
    Python
    Bandit
    Horizon
    I have been playing MapleStory (mostly GMS) on and off since 2006, with 'quit rages' that would last up to 4 months. With this experience, it's inmediate the difference of drop rates for certain items.

In the time i have been played i noticed that rare items (such as scrolls, power crystals, Sap of Ancient Tree, The Summoning Rock, etc.) have a greater drop rate. For instance, 5 minutes of killing snails would give me 1~2 scrolls, 15 minutes of grinding in Land of Wild Board would give 3 Power Crystals, 8 Summoning Rocks, and 6 Saps of Ancient Tree.

Also, it seems like equip drops are more rare than the items mentioned above. I would normally get a Weighted earrings way before the saps.

Further Testing is needed to check if it's a bug only in certain/exclusive maps.

Feel free to use the poll and comment your opinion on this subject :)

2. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    6:12 PM
    NSFW
    I can't speak for anything else, but saps should be quite common.

Maybe you just weren't as good at the game back then.

3. Faith

Faith Skull Splitter

May 5, 2015
    Male
    On a Hill
    6:12 PM
    iSee
    I/L Wizard
    Tempus
    Idk about the scroll dropping rate. but its definitely not high.

4. Glycys

Glycys Chronos

May 16, 2015
    Male
    9:12 PM
    Glycys
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Yeah drop rates aren't right for a lot of items. I've found upwards of ~40-50 sets of steelies from GS5, thousands of ores, over a hundred equips, etc. Stars drop way too frequently and continue to drop in price. All ores as essentially worthless. Not sure about scrolls, though.

5. Xizz3l

Xizz3l Mushmom

May 5, 2015
    Male
    3:12 AM
    Xizz3l
    Outlaw
    Majestic
    Agreed with stars, it's a joke how Tobis are 50k max and Steelies only 900k now. Just completely flooded the market with them. Bullets on the other hand seem to be kinda fine.
    Ores are fine too. You need hundreds of ores for some quests. If this would be 100% GMS like, it'd be stupid for such a low amount of players imo. Plus they're still worth something and always a nice bonus.
    Equip itself is fine too, so are scrolls. Not GMS like but Kim explained that the apparent 0.0003% droprate or sth like that was absolutely ridiculous and just wouldn't work for our playerbase.

TL;DR -> Nerf star droprate ; Leave the rest as it is (unless something needs special finetuning)

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Glycys

Glycys Chronos

May 16, 2015
    Male
    9:12 PM
    Glycys
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Well this server prides itself on being GMS like, so I don't see why the drop rate should be any different. I think the player base is large enough for people to have the equips they need. Or people could at least hunt for the equips they want and it take more than a few hours. As for ores, it's a shame to see crystals ores worth so little as these were always worth a lot in GMS. The damage has already been done so I don't see the drop rate being changed to how it was in GMS, but I agree stars should be changed at the least.

7. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    9:12 AM
    Keep in mind that not everything can or should be made to follow GMS exactly though. There are some people who believe that even GMS constantly tweaked their drop rates so there might be nothin fixed to follow.

Although I am fine with drop rates being as low as they were in GMS, a little higher to help new players earn money is good as well. But not too high, it is true a lot of items are dropping in value or not as expensive as they were (relatively) on the original server.