1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

PB accountability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fartsy, Apr 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    10:05 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Recently there has been a spate of staff investigations into banks related to PB. While the initial intentions may have been pure, these surprise audits took many by surprise and eventually proved deeply unpopular among the endgame community. The ToS was changed soon after to add a new rule so the act of "refusing to distribute drops and/or profits properly and adequately" now falls under the mass griefing clause. The meaning of "properly and adequately" can only be guessed.

PB banks exist primarily as a logistical tool to handle money as it is too cumbersome for a host to individually pay every runner. For the last 2.5 years, PB banks have broadly behaved with good intent but due to a lack of regulation, each bank has its own patchwork of accounting metrics. A bank is built on trust and often maintained at expense of the hosts's time and only in very serious and rare situations were there audits as it causes significant reputational damage. That trust is now at risk because of bank run plotting by some members of staff prior to mass audits. On the horizon, there are new runs hosted by staff members (staff-hosts) who are likely also their self-appointed regulators. Staff-hosts can be considered safer because they have insider knowledge of the path of future regulation, enabling for more resilient runs. By being able to self regulate, staff-hosts can act with absolute certainty rather than resorting to the art of guessing, and freedom from public audits, amounting to significant, unearned advantages over current hosts. A real world example of this problem is Boeing/FAA.

In the past, I have been burned by someone with such contradictory incentives. The month prior to prestigious coin implementation, I found there was an individual relentlessly undercutting me selling cs every time I owled. I had 80 cs at 250m each and they ended at 225m the day before patch, a 10% loss for the month alone. Prices fell precipitously the days after and I knew at least someone on the server was made whole. I wish there is some oversight and transparency with these new developments and hope to compete on a level playing field going forward.

correction: my numbers above were based on ws, based on owlrepo the scroll price dropped from 230m to 201m in the time. Notice the jump in volume
    upload_2023-4-9_16-9-3.png

legitimacy of CS transactions were clarified privately

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:05 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    This is an official response on behalf of the staff team.

Staff team looks into banks based on reports and tips from players. If we receive a report of potential misconduct, where hosts behave in a way that was not agreed upon by every single individual, the staff team is REQUIRED to investigate. There have been no "mass audits".

A bank is indeed built on a system of trust, one that the bank is able to pay out the money that they are supposed to have. Our definition of "properly and adequately" means that players are not at risk of losing their money entirely + are being paid what they ought to receive. Some examples we had in mind when drafting up this part of the ToS were cases like:
    • A host running refusing to give ANY of the runners splits (essentially pocketing the entire profit)
    • A host unfairly deducting split % for runners for things that were not communicated before hand (eg. you talked back to the host, so you lost 50% of your split)
    • A host using a skillbook from the run for themselves (without consent/notifying the runners)
    • A host using the profits from a run for themselves (without consent/notifying the runners)
    These were things that would have fallen under "scamming" previously, but these boss run scenarios weren't explicitly covered in the scamming clause. Due to the multi-party nature of these scenarios, we felt it more adequate to be explicitly mentioned & lumped into mass griefing.

We want things to operate in a more laissez faire system, so long as there is informed consent. This is the only part that is necessary from the staff perspective. The minute details of WHAT the agreements are, how tax is handled, who pays what, etc do not fall under the purview of the clause. It is NOT something staff have investigated, are investigating, or currently have plans investigating unless runners believe they behaved in a way that was non-consensual and/or malicious.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lumina

Lumina Master Chronos

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    11:05 AM
    Night Lord
    BanStrike-1
    I still have a PB accountability question that OP mentioned when he referenced to a chaos scroll scenario that’s happened before.

How will staff assure us that host-staff would not have any pb change knowledge in future patches that would give their run an advantage over others? As the host you can make all the changes and take precautions without technically having to leak to anybody.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    11:05 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    What about hosts that mass hog items (e.g dozens of items such as Rock of Time). Is that considered mass griefing then?

5. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    Is there a clause in the TOS that explicitly prevents staff from insider trading, with actionable consequences? I think something to that effect would be useful particularly in egregious cases like the one mentioned here.

As for PB staff-hosting, I don't really think it's that big of an issue. Perhaps an informal rule that if there are significant changes to PB on the horizon, that staff should not be making any advantageous adjustments to their runs until that information is public would be good enough. I actually don't see any other way of handling it besides not allowing staff to host bossing expeditions, which is not reasonable or fair to them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams

Apologies for not clarifying that part, I did not understand the connotation that fartsy's original post was referring to a potential staff member with insider information. We've been instructing our staff members to conduct themselves in a way in which they were not privy to future developments. In the case players believe there is such foul play, we highly urge you to submit a report.

Reports on forums can only be seen by = GA, GM, Supervisors
    In special circumstances, reports can be submitted to Supervisors through DMs

While not a leak, we would still consider this an abuse of power / information from the staff team, if we believe the action to have been consistent or rampant enough. This would result in immediate termination and additional consequences if deemed appropriate.

Staff members all sign a NDA with these points already included. We also have our internal guidelines on how to conduct ourselves. At times, some staff members may behave in a way that might not be ideal, but its important that staff members are of course human and sometimes slip up. We assess these situations on a case-by-case basis.

If we deem it to be a complete accident (not referring to insider trading, but lets just say something minor) we'll give them a stern talking to. However, depending on the severity of their actions, their presumed intentions through internal investigations, staff members have been in the past and in the future continue to be dealt with accordingly.

Difficulty selling items seems to be more of an issue of player arrangements. If runners feel things are not being sold fast enough, or not enough effort is being put into selling them. Runners could suggest to the host an alternative individual sell things. In the case players believe there is malicious intentions behind them hogging items, they can also choose to submit a report, in which the staff team can intervene. This could take the form of mediation, if we believe it is just negligence/oversight, or punishment, if deemed to be intentional/malicious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    How many banks were investigated recently relative to the entirety of last year? Surely this isn't a random occurrence.

This just means banks should have enough liquidity to cover any cash need that might arise. Having money in bank owned by X just means X owes some money to me. The money still exists in some form or another. In the past and hosts have been also been receptive of criticism brought directly by their own runners and staff should see that it has always been the player's choice to run and withdraw money, and no coercion has been used.

These new rules also suggest the possibility for further rule changes on banks. From a player perspective, the ToS changes resulting from recent audits are dangerous since not only would regulation be discussed in closed doors, changes are EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. This effectively gives staff run banks an unobtainable advantage. In the spirit of a level playing field, there should be enhanced rules and public disclosures for all staff run banks. Normal players will never be able to assess whether staff is leveraging communal assets with privileged information. This doesn't seem emblematic of a functioning free-market economy but reeks of cronyism. In my example above, how much larger would my losses be if the person front-running had 5x the assets?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mjk

mjk Master Chronos

Mar 22, 2020
    Male
    8:05 AM
    MattNL
    Night Lord
    Pasta
    How can staff (or anyone) infer that splits are being used and that the host is not receiving loans from other members of the bank?
    Call it a difference in bookkeeping methods whether or not the bank owner wants to explicitly transfer funds back and forth.

Another concern of mine is just cause. You mentions that if someone reports something the staff HAS to look into it. Does that mean we should be reporting any bank owner for any small accounting mistake and they should get banned? I’m of the opinion that as long as the bank is “behaving well” (ie splits are paid in full whenever anyone requests) that the behind the scenes book keeping is none of anyone’s business.

Finally regarding insider trading it’s quite strange and unusual timing that the banks (none of which have had any problems in the past years) are all scrutinized at the same time 1 week before a staff member opens their own bank. I’m sure you guys will deny this as coincidence but we are not morons.

In the spirit of equality id expect any bank run by the staff to be publicly available so we the public can regularly audit it and prevent any insider trading and/or abuses

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    There should be no problems with staff auditing banks. Why should this be a problem and breach of trust? If you're audited and there are no wrong doing, then you should be fine with the staff (or even your own runners) combing through every entry and ensuring that tax is filed properly and all transactions are lawful and correct.

Auditing does not indicate any wrong doing. Only if the audit indicates that such banker/players have been allocating funds inappropriately then it will be a problem.

If as you said, the bank's trust is at risk, then it's the bank's fault. Just as staff can audit your bank, go audit theirs. If you deem it to be incorrect, bring it up with a GA/GM/Supervisor.

As for insider information, do what Nise say. Report to proper authority with evidence.

On a side note, if everyone (and i mean everyone since y'all friends) on your run really don't care that the bank is misappropriately allocating/"sharing" funds. Then make that clear to all the runners and staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    6:05 PM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    maybe they're just auditing Pasta First

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Lumina

Lumina Master Chronos

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Night Lord
    BanStrike-1
    It was explained in OP post but I will make it easier to digest.

Auditing by staff puts a stain on host rep unless it's a collective mass audit but Nise has stated this was not a mass audit which then implies staff can choose anybody's bank to audit for no reason whatsoever. If nobody requested splits, how can there be misconduct? Who is reporting? Situations like this damage the reputation on certain banks and it implies that the safest bank would be a staff-hosted bank which can affect runners decisions in which run to join. Why? Because let's be honest if people didn't intentionally want to save on tax mesos, they would not be leaving their mesos in the bank for so long. Therefore the players who want to continue saving on mesos, in their best interest, would continue to find a "bank" = run and choose the safest one to continue building a balance. The banks that get audited but not the others will be at a disadvantage at recruiting/keeping players.

Your sidenote is a prime example of what I'm saying by the way. Nobody here mentioned any bank misappropriating/sharing funds or people not caring, but it was automatically assumed. Because why? Because it was audited.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I have no issue with audits in general. I have issue with how things are handled. Banks all have different standards since there has been lack of regulation. As far as Pasta's banking system, we collectively insure the smooth functioning of the bank and any attempt at bank run is in effect a minor annoyance at most. My main problem is staff run banks having an advantage over player owned banks. After all, how do I audit without logs?

And regarding that case, I now believe it is of the public interest as I have expressed my distaste privately in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mjk

mjk Master Chronos

Mar 22, 2020
    Male
    MattNL
    Night Lord
    Pasta
    Building off the above two posts, the bank “audits” have been executed much more like smear campaigns against the banks owners in feeble attempts to cause distrust / destabilize the runs.

These have all been received very poorly by both the hosts and the runners and it feels like staff is grasping at straws to somehow justify their actions.

And again the timing of all of this is very interesting

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams

From the staff team, ONE singular bank was brought to our attention. This was due to a report, through which we identified concerning trading patterns and concerns about bank liquidity. We settled this by getting clarification with the player directly and requested they be transparent about certain key points - so that all parties involved can get a more holistic understanding of their banking situation.

Besides this incident, we have NOT looked into any other banks. Any incidents in the past with banks are NOT associated with the staff team. Reports handled by staff and the consequent investigations or discussions occur SOLELY on our forums. If it didn't happen on forums, it is not action being handled on behalf of the staff team, nor representative of the staff teams stance on matters.

See above~

Everything we found and identified to corroborate information and concerns that were presented BEFORE the investigation began.

Staff cannot conclude definitely from logs alone, which is why as part of our investigation, we ask the involved parties for clarification. It is the staff's responsibility to look into things if reported. If its a mere accounting mistake, the staff will find its a small accounting mistake and dismiss the report.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    let me count on my fingers:
    1 akash
    2 skarm
    3 moon
    4 eiji

is this some 3 in 1 scenario like the holy trinity? regarding splits they are all entirely trustworthy

edit: but have been looked into.

16. mjk

mjk Master Chronos

Mar 22, 2020
    Male
    MattNL
    Night Lord
    Pasta
    Just to clarify, this means that if staff reaches out, publicly or privately, in discord with regards to a staff matter that we should assume that they are acting only as an individual and that if they wish to discuss it further with us they should make a forum post?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I think we have to distinguish here between a runner seeking clarification on certain transaction(s) and a formal staff bank audit (of which it sounds like there has only been 1 due to a player report on the forums).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Cornwall

Cornwall Chronos

Dec 11, 2020
    Male
    Cornsair
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Do you believe then this type of stuff should be handled through a report? Because I have too always been under the impression that this Server likes to handle stuff under a more laissez faire system. Additionally, I was always under the impression that if a player caught wrongdoing happening or believed to be so, this should have been handled through a report directly to the staff, and not under a public callout where misunderstandings or the simple callout could affect a player or group of player's reputation. We have repeatedly seen this in every area of the game, e.g., if you get scammed during a leech session, other than smegaing the name of the leecher doing it, you're invited to directly report them instead of letting everyone else know beforehand in the interest that "the public should know".

I ask all of this because you established that there has only been ONE (1) bank investigated by staff. However, in the previous days, we have had one member of staff auditing and investigating at least 4 separate banks in 4 separate discord servers, establishing that some of the money in the bank has been mishandled. They also established that the only reason they were doing this in public instead of privately through DMs or through a report was that they thought it best for "the public to know". That awfully sounds like a public callout to me. However, you could even establish this was an objective callout, yet in some instances, we saw some references to ill-intentioned practices like "money laundering" or "pocketing runners mesos".

I think that is why most in this thread were under the impression that more than one bank was investigated, as we assumed these cases were also part of an investigation and not one member of staff acting privately as a runner.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams

What I can say is that only one case was discussed amongst the staff team. Besides that singular incident, none of the others were discussed within the team.

Staff team is NOT associated with any incident that did not occur on forums.

Yes that is correct. Any staff member working on staff matters will ask you to do so in forums. That is why ban appeals are done exclusively on the forums. If a staff member claims they are working on staff matters but refuses to do so in forums, please bring it up with one of the supervisors. As this is not condoned behavior.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    What if that runner is also on staff? Does the person have a right to pick and choose which is most convenient? If a staff member speaks as a player, in that situation how would one know whether that staff member will flip a switch and start speaking as staff? All situations must therefore be treated as if talking to staff.

Aside from all this, I have a problem with unchecked incentives. That includes gaining an advantage (materially or not) due to their access to privileged information. A NDA doesn't matter if it's not enforced.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.