1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

3 Snails Revert/Revision

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doguu, Apr 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    7:07 AM
    I/L Wizard
    3 snails buff has a lot of implications, I saw another thread discussing low level magicians using it but that missed the mark very hard. 3 snails in it's buffed state alters many ways the game flows.

1. You can do 40 ranged damage per attack after 3 levels

This makes a difference for everyone, but towards the end of maple island it makes the most difference for future magicians and the least difference for warriors/brawlers. This takes any semblance of a classic feel to character creation away as instead of hitting mobs around ~4x per kill steadily per level until pig/orange mush challenges, you 1-shot everything until slimes but still 2-shot everything on the island with a ranged attack at that. Creating magicians was a challenge because of the low starter damage but you could do a job adv. at lvl 8 to compensate a little bit, getting out the gate was suppose to take more effort though. I'm not sure why I saw mention of "wanting to make maple island a faster experience" when it's an introduction part of the game everyone goes through and most of it is even optional on top of that. Even as a magician completing every quest on maple island barely takes over an hour, you still have to do quests where you kill red snails and you can use those shells to kill the pigs or kill more red snails.

2. Islander/Beginner Experience (and Camper but idc)

IMO this is an okay QoL change for beginners on victoria since getting red snail shells for your ranged attack can be a hassle (I wouldn't mind the grind and I just subject myself to being a victoria beginner) but islanders will always have access to red snails, the difference this makes is earlier islanders with lower damage output play almost identical to lvl 20+ islanders because they don't have to put any effort towards using a "2-shot anything on the island" skill. It removed any growth islanders experienced during their grind. And they're basically set once they max the ability.

3. 1H weapon classes always have a ranged aggro attack

The last 2 points more involved personal experience with earlygame, this changes how some classes function which is kind of a weird addition to the game. If you're a 1H melee character, early game (maybe up to 3rd job) you should now keep 3 snails bound to aggro mobs at distance since you're not required to farm to use the ability and it's a useful bait tool. Personally I don't see the addition of energy bolt to every 1H melee class to bait mobs as a welcome change. I'm not saying it's OP but it definitely alters how the game is played in a messy way.

I'd include "nostalgia" as one reason but I think the game being changed functionally is more important. I haven't seen much discussion since I've been inactive until recently and only saw a few threads but this change is definitely contentious so I figured I'd bring it up with points that have a bit more merit than what I saw.

I have a few suggestions, the easy one being revert back to the original. A nice QoL change from the original would be even if you upgrade the ability to max level, if you don't have red shells but have other shells those could be used for the lower damage amounts of their respective shell/skill level.

Something extra unnecessary ideas (just rambling):

Something that could be added is sometime after level 15 (since it was decided you can't get job adv. after 15 to prevent hyperwash magicians), beginners could get skill points again to maybe finish the rest of their skills. Another thing that could happen is some milestone like lvl 30, 50, 70, etc. victoria beginners could get an ability or item that removes the cost of red shells in some way since removing that grind for them to have the ability is a nice QoL, it just changes too much else.

I probably spend way too much time on earlygame and the island lol

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    4:07 AM
    Yeah, I agree it's a bit OP. I felt like it was cheating whenever I realised it didn't consume any Shells, and my inner speedrunner told me to keep using it.

The best method is just to semi-revert it so it uses fallback shells, because that makes the most sense and it solves the first two of the issues while maintaining its original identity.

As for your extra idea, more beginner-exclusive SP to complete the set is a neat idea, but the rest is basically just reverting back to your suggestion's issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    5:07 AM
    Corsair
    Maybe if level 1 didn't have a shell requirement but level 2 and 3 did it'd provide the QOL of not needing to go farm shells for this skill without letting people 1 shot everything, but still leaving the option for those who'd want to farm.

4. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    The mana cost is so high that it's not feasible on the island unless you spec entirely into a mana build. Remember the only way to get mana potions on the island is to farm them from boxes, buy them from Myo Myo if you have NX and a lot of mesos, or get them during an event. Off island it makes 0 sense because high damage common weapons absolutely outpace any benefit from 40 damage shells.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    That is simply not true, doing quests gives you plenty of MP things like oranges, lemons, green apples, maybe more idk. I made an islander over the past couple days to level 20 without running out of mana pots while basically spamming orange mushrooms with 3 snails as my main source of XP. This had nothing to do with a mana build, I got 20 STR then only put points in DEX. Whether I run out of pots isn't the issue if I'm already a high enough level for my regular attacks to be on par with 3 snails already either. Having that damage that early is only balanced if you had to earn it via killing a couple red snails with the usual effort. Not to mention you regenerate MP over time so you get a couple freebies as well as every level up gives you like 8+ free ones depending on your level. Like I mentioned before, having that much damage on command takes away any challenge in the kill 2 pigs or orange mushroom quests and you don't feel weak as a beginner at all which is a strange balance decision. The only thing keeping this skill balanced early game is your ability to miss tougher mobs with it as I've got a lvl 24 thief with 5 LUK and 25 DEX (100 INT) and miniscule leeching (pt with friend same lvl) being carried by the ability, it's extremely abuseable.

6. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    1:07 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Y'all are literally advocating for QoL diminishing suggestions cuz muh old-school was a hardship and you want the struggle back?

You can choose to struggle. Don't force it on everyone else

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    The point of pre-v63 servers is the balance, the community and everything else in ML is nice but I wouldn't have seached v62 in the first place if I wasn't interested in the old balance. I even advocated other QoL solutions and condemned the current system because of balance sake well beyond level 10. The only time I'd think it's reasonable to stop asking for shells is if that's your only ability (as a beginner) and you're well beyond an avg of 40 dmg per hit. I'm going to use all the tools given to me and the gameplay change of not requiring farming shells for a free ranged ability gives me an advantage that feels cluncky and unprecedented. I think the argument for this is ridiculous because it's not "QoL" it's just a blatant buff to be done with a couple sections of the game quicker. I wouldn't say trimming the game down is a plus, it's part of what we're here for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    No plans to revert it. Same thing with down jump really; if you do not wish to have the ability to play the game smoother in the beginning then don't. Snail Shell was changed in v67, even before the new jobs arrived.

• Like Like x 3
  9. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    I like this idea for maple island but it still gives melee classes a free ranged aggro tool which is one of the unintended side effects I don't think should be a thing, people could just spec 1 SP in it to have it.

10. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    Idk what down jump is but I was just about to say I'd made my points clear by now and I'd concede to consensus. I'm not one to put myself at a disadvantage for "the experience" I just think it's an unwelcome change. You can lock this iyw

11. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    Given how hardcore some people are here, I would have guessed otherwise. I'm not particularly for, or against the idea, (despite posting an "agree") but I'm curious exploring the idea due to the "auto-aggro effect". If more people feel like it's more of a QoL than a buff (given by your reactions), then I think that should be the way to go, and keep it as is :)

That's interesting, thanks for chiming in about this bit.

12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Down jump is the ability to jump... down from platforms. Something that got added in v57.

13. OP
    OP
    Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    Oh ya, I didn't make the connection that it had a specific name. I abuse stuff like same frame jump or downjump spells too even if those aren't *features*

At the very least I'm glad you guys looked at my perspective if nothing else

14. SinclairJ

SinclairJ Master Chronos

Dec 8, 2020
    Chief Bandit
    wtf

• Informative Informative x 1