1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why class balance sucks.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Apr 17, 2023.

1. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    7:43 PM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    The title is definitely clickbait but the statement does hold to be a true. A progression based game in which class choice matters way more than the effort you put in towards your gear is in no way balanced.

Regardless of how fun, dynamic and friendly shadowers are at the end of the say those are opinions and people are entitled to have fun on whatever class they desire so bringing those to conversation for the sake of balancing is pointless. The healthy amount of shadowers can be attributed largely to the tendency for shadowers to be recommended as a great class in promises of good damage and other things that ofteh the class cannot really deliver. If we were to poll where people think shadowers stand in a dpm test you'd be surprised how many misconceptions exist and that heavily contributes to this on going tendency. If every forum post said "Shadowers are the weakest single target class, the worst cleavers and their biggest pro is their mobbing is good" i'm sure a lot less people would view it as the obvious choice.

And actually PB is the strongest point for shads, so my point was never their PB performance, which fwiw is acceptable in my opinion. My whole point is how they are actually underwhelming in the rest of group content available in the game.

2. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    The "only thing NLs are good at" is a very funny to view it. If we're talking about bossing then what you need to realize is how that "one thing" can literally supply all your needs. Bossing is a completely viable way to obtain meso and exp which is the added benefit shadowers have on farming.
    You can go ahead and farm away on a shadower to your hearts content but at the end of the day, the lower lvl nl with significantly worse gear is still going to outdamage the shadower. The whole point of this argument is how unrewarding all these perks are.

Not to mention you can simply make a mage and leech yourself and fund yourself without any real con. This extra benefit of farming is only real when the damage between the class allow for it to make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    1:43 AM
    Moderator Post
    It's kind of interesting apples get bought up again. Back in 2015 I never wanted to add them but by users and staff alike I was constantly told to add them anyway because they were part of the game. I still do not like apples at all.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    That seems subjective to me.

5. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    It's really not. If i tell you that without assuming the usage of apple a shadower needs to gap a NL by 61 att strictly off of glove, cape and shoes, can a shadower realistically outperform a NL? It would take a shadower 23 att gloves 20 att cape and 18 att shoes to be = to a NL. What's the benefit of farming that meso to fund your shadower? It would take a NL with 10 att glove and 3 att cape to beat you. You can argue levels and whatnot but if we go into that loophole then we'd argue a realistic funding for the NL too and the gap would still not be possible to overcome.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    I wasn't going to argue levels, I was going to argue fun

7. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I agree, shadowers are fun. I have 2. This post is about raising awareness about class balance. I believe there should be valid objective reasons to pick classes and FUN shouldn't be THE only reason to pick a class. Clearly the game goes through balance changes still so the balance team cares so i'm merely highlighting a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:43 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    nuke gelts too

without apples the difference between strongest/weakest shrink a ton and gear becomes more important

with apples all that's needed is some akash NL set for some 18 man runs

9. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    7:43 AM
    So what is a acceptable gap?
    Shadowers are probably the 2nd best farming class after mages and mages have way lower single target dpm but isn't it accepted because mages are good at farming?

10. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Trust me, i would have nothing against mages being viable at bossing. I don't like the whole idea of a means to an end class. Even if we say shads are the 2nd best farmers the gap between mages and them would make them unviable by the standard of many. The best map to farm is probably ML5 and darks and hero also have very competitive killrates there and actually can reliably 1 shot. It takes a lvl 200 shad with crazy gear to actually 1 shot so the set up to even make it "very good" is quite high and still very inferior to mages.

An acceptable gap should be one where gear actually matters and class "benefits" make up for the lack of single target. I'm of the opinion that shadowers should be roughly archer level of damage given their inferior utility skill and superior survivability.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    5:43 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    A good chunk of the playerbase shares your opinion on apples, and I would say its not too late to do something about it. Some possibilites would be nerfing the atk boost down to +80 or even +60, or phasing them out via an expiry date similar to stews back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    4:43 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    make apples suddenly and permanently untradeable

apq requires your marriage partner to be present to participate

boxes now randomly and inexplicably teleport during bonus stage when hit

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    likewise

i'd say most classes are beginner friendly, with the exception of corsair/buccs. with the hp challenges, the hp threshold benefit has sort of gone away as well.

anyways, i too will take your shadower example:

corsairs and buccs were made to emulate the corsair/shad dynamic, but on a more in-depth level (that unfortunately didnt pan out that well in gms).

what makes shadowers enjoyable though is that they're faster than buccs (obviously). buccs trade some speed for damage and emulate warriors (see stance from ST, corkscrew blow, etc)

shadowers also emulate warriors for their melee physicality, but in a cool and technical way. they have a lot of debuffing techniques alongside mobbing skills.

shadowers are like a jack of all trades, but they are sort of crum in all aspects as a result, just slightly better than pre-buffed buccs.

to continue the shad-bucc comparisons, buccs backspin blow (stuns) is the equivalent of the shadower's b step (stun).

however, buccs get stun mastery, and shadowers don't, so buccs are an improvement here over the shads (prob Neckson's attempt at pseudo remaking shadowers)

the only other two classes which get critical boosts are the BM/MM/NLs, so it is indeed weird that buccs who emulates shads get it.

what would be cool is to make shadowers deal more damage if an enemy's stunned (exploit weaknesses) like buccs (prob not possible without reverse engineering client and/or making adjustments to the legends.dll that (presumably) sideloads client functions.)

another core concept about shadowers is "high burst damage" with assassinate, like buccaneers during ST using demo (fake boomerang step lol), but i wish it can be extended to their mobbing techniques, a shadower's true focus. b step has a lot of potential stun additional damage was involved here, more than buccs.

imagine: b step stun + assaulter (w/ stun damage boost) or hold assassinate while moving to next enemy across map

their debuff side also goes along this theme of "exploiting weaknesses", but it's just poorly executed IMO. that's where shadowers fall the hardest, and it's not really because of the raw single damage output.

for example, taunt shouldn't give an enemy +40% defense. in literally every other video game, this results in a decrease in defense in some way, i.e. pokemon, league, shin megami tensei, etc. even paladins even give -20% defense with max threaten with other stuff. would be interesting if this can be worked into bosses as well.

let's further the argument of "exploiting weaknesses": venomous stab does this in the 4th job at pathetic rates. that should be buffed to be a nice DoT. obviously, you can balance it so a team of 20 shadowers can't solo PB using just venomous stab, lmao (if poison is even able to affect bosses in the future?)

while b-stepping, venomous stab could take effect, and you can hit the other side while the DoT is doing its job properly.

or if LHC even becomes a thing here w/ its tanky mobs, then shadowers would be a godsend here for coop play.

shads have a lot of potential utility, but their tools suck. if their debuffs can come into play w/ bosses, that could solve the "damage issue" (excluding apples) & make mobbing more interesting for current & future content

TLDR; most classes are imbalanced not because of raw single target bossing damage, but it's because most classes have weird identity crises whose skills aren't matching what we expect them to do. also: Neckson did not bother continuing with the 5 OG class system until much later, and that's in a different paradigm altogether with big bang, big boom or whatever they're smoking nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:43 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Reading this i do think shadowers get kinda shafted in comparison to buccs, who have straight up better damage and pretty gamebreaking buffs. Good point on burst the burst damage identity, I think assasinate should offer similar damage to bucc's demo.

16. CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    2:43 AM
    Thief
    Siege
    I agree with that shads get a lot buffs and still somehow behind in some aspects .
    and I agree with the new challenge come in shads will stay behind when it comes to choose class , and I'm still think shads should have benefits over other class to make it worth to play
    but still I see a lot of endgame shads that have very fun with the class and able to take it to a place they carry runs as main attacker and outdpm nls and specially buccs with way less of what u state there

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The main buffs I’d like to see on shadowers are a mobility rework of assaulter so that it can be used laglessly without a target and a rework on assassinate so that the charges stack out of dark sight if using another attack. This would lead to different types of play styles and skill expressions like weaving in assaulter, BoT, and maybe even savage blow (which should get a buff too).

The best designed classes make use of skills throughout 1-4th job instead of having their 4th job “ultimate” skill paint over the entirety of their class identity.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    If you want to argue that the shadower players having fun is a good reason to play it, by all means i agree yet we can't balance a game around fun since that is very subjective. In terms of a shad outperforming a NL in endgame bosses that has 0 to do with the class and everything to do with player performance and i think there's no room for empirical evidence regarding the damage gap between these classes when damage there's very concrete and easy to grasp numbers regarding this topic. The amount of gear that a shad would have to have over a NL in an endgame scenario is completely impossible to reach and more evident with the use of apple. Between Buccs and Shads there's definitely room for a INSANE shad to beat an average bucc but that's not saying much because what makes bucc good isn't their raw damage.

19. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Then you say this and realize wait why should shad do the same damage as bucc when buccs clearly has infinitely better supporting skills, stance, iframes, avoid, range and the tools to control aggro and "truly tank"? Why shouldn't shadowers be stronger considering they offer significantly less? There's a lot of things that don't really make much sense and the whole point of this thread is to highlight all of these issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    people forget that as mesos inflate and pot costs increase, shads actually gain the most