1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Weapon Attack potion/buff Discussion [onyx apple]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Apr 19, 2023.

Are onyx apples currently balanced in maplelegends?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. No

65 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    3:30 AM
    Thief
    Siege
    dont be sure then
    for many HT I did
    12man\6 man all take the same time most of the time
    cus you never see ppl strong enough for 6 man that will group up for 12 man
    for my opinion HT is a bad income either way for the time and effort u waste on it for hard rng drops so pleas dont talk about 18 man .
    tbh idm they delete apples from the game ill had benefits of it , but more then half of the game not and im sure very small group will have there hand of the end game content and ppl will get more hard time to get there.

I asked about conclusion u had about lvl 50 weapon with apple can outdmg lvl 150 +7 ?

2. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    7:30 PM
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    I don’t get it. As someone mentioned above you could probably expect 1.5hour runs for 10-12man which ain’t that long (of course this is subjective). But why not 18man? Just talk to your guild and organize a fun 18man HT. If you only do it for the mesos/drops then as a mid-gear tier player better do JC trio or sell Reg/afk zhelms with a group. Again, the point is that YOU CAN do endgame content without apples and, as shown above, it doesn’t mean that it will take you 3hours for 1 run. And if loot-wise it doesn’t make sense to join a 12+man run, then maybe that is not the best content for you to do at that point AGAIN if you are focusing just on getting the most meso/hour.

About the weapon comparison, just look at the library for a lvl 50 weapon and a lvl150 timeless weapon… e.g Olympus bow ~70att + apple = 170att vs +7 perfect timeless bow ~160att. It depends on the class and such of course but this is just a rough comparison.

3. PlaceHolder

PlaceHolder Mushmom

Jul 28, 2017
    Male
    6:30 PM
    GiantDad
    Warrior
    Idea #2 Accessibility nerfs to specific potions, seems a bit clunky in the current proposal for traders and for making the transition.
    Here's what I propose, should apples become less accessible and #2 be considered:
    -Convert every existing apple into a Use item "token" that can't be consumed but can be traded.
    *Set required level to consume to 201+
    -Convert every source of new apples into a Etc item "token" (different ID#).
    -Have the Prestigious Shop allow conversion of both tokens into One-Of-A-Kind apples, prioritizing conversion of the Use token first and rejecting the transaction if you already own an apple.
    -Add Prestigious Shops to more towns.

4. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:30 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    IMO i agree with Nadav1Nadav1 and cautioncaution , it can get a nerf (especially the higher attack potion), but a thing that dont grief the casual/weakers players

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    5:30 PM
    I've always told new players to do APQ since it is the best money maker pre-fourth job. But lets say you did get a good rate of an average of 4 apples an hour, thats 12m/hr, that's pretty mediocre. But it would destroy the only worthwhile money making option for low level players. APQ is worthwhile to do while waiting for other content, like the perpetual stragglers late to HT.

It seems like buffing rage by 5 would make more sense than upending the entire system. It would probably make energizers worth a bit less.

6. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    We need to be more careful with buffs. Buff after buff typically ends up breaking balance. For example take nadav's point below:

I could also see the above situation playing out if rage is 25 attack. Luk hero with achilles, guardian, stance and power crash to remove defense buff in HT with +25 attack party buff would be a worthwhile mule to create.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Instead of discussing whether weapon attack potions/apples are balanced or not, I prefer to discuss whether the classes using apples are balanced. It's been a long established fact that certain classes benefit more from apples than others, its proved time and time again when in PB, for example, certain attackers (NL, corsair, bm, mm) use more apples than others. Nerfing weapon attack potions across the board, in my opinion, does very little the balance the game, except to make certain classes stand out more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:30 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Could you elaborate what you mean by this? Because as far as I'm aware it does the exact opposite and actually brings the weaker classes (that benefit less from att potions) closer to the classes that currently stand out more (those that benefit more from att potions). Especially in content where one would use stronger attack potions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    8:30 AM
    u would just bring more range at the cost of cleave.

10. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    8:30 PM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I'm not sure this is what you meant so do correct me if i'm wrong. I think your statement could be arguably be true in the context of significant nerfs to attack pots that would limit the freedom to draft certain classes at pb. If there's less damage across the board = less room for mistakes and weaker classes. Yes, the gap between classes was lessened but also the viablity of these classes would take a hit. Is this what you meant?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  11. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    If you nerf everyone's damage, the runs whether HT/PB that already have trouble clearing will be more inclined to bringing "higher" dpm classes to make up for it, therefore the weaker classes will be left in the dust. Although it seems like the problem with PB nowadays is primarily damage, but the real source is survivability. If the runners constantly die from sed during statues, it doesn't matter how many apples you have.

If weapon attack potions were truly broken and unbalanced, technically any 30 man PB run composed of only heroes, paladin, bucc (or you can choose your own composition) can clear with the correct skill set and gear, but as we can probably guess, this is not the case.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Yes, that is correct.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    8:30 PM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I think the two are unrelated. We can't attribute the current state of PB to the state of attack pots. Assuming heroes, paladins and bucc could survive the run by being skilled (and not die to rng), they too would be able to clear PB with their current damage. I think there's clear evidence to this. Currently shadowers are a more accepted pick than hero and paladins yet the damage ceiling of these 2 would technically be higher if it wasnt for their own set of survival problems. If say PB was proportionally nerfed to damage lost due to attack potions, the viability of said classes would relatively increase. I do agree with yuo however that ONLY changing att pots could lead to some undesired side effects.

14. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    I believe that is what I said. Currently, PB runs are the largest consumers of apples, the weapon attack pot under scrutiny (using around 90 apples for the average run). The biggest hurdle in clearing a PB run is arguably stage 4 and stage 5 of statues. The strategies most runs adopt are: 1. Focus the right bird first, which takes around to 2 minutes to clear it with apple. 2. Save right bird for last, for when all the other statues are dead and the risk of dying to physical touch damage (18k+) is lower.

But of course each strategies has their pro and cons:
    Strategy 1 - Killing the right bird first:
    By Killing the right bird first, it removes the #1 cause of death during statue phase, dying to a 10 second sed, during which the player cannot heal (or be healed if zombified). However, if this strategy is implemented incorrectly, it can lead to a squad wipeout.

Strategy 2 - Killing the right bird last:
    By killing the right bird last, you only have to worry about the sed walk left. However, there still is a risk of dying as 10 seconds is still an extremely long and unforgiving time for classes with low hp, low avoid, or both who cannot survive the 10 seconds duration.

15. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Furthermore, I would even argue that using weapon attack pots are not a strict requirement for boss clears except for PB. Most boss runs can compensate the extra attack gained from weapon attack pots by adding more runners. Are weapon attack pots as a whole unbalanced? How so?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    Some of these groups could also run 30-man PB's but they won't.

17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    7:30 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    actually that is the case already; the problem is indeed skill and gear

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  18. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:30 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    the fact that many groups opt to run ~20mans rather than 30man is a testament to how broken apples are. It is more profitable to use more apples rather than add more runners.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    The ability to run 20mans PB is not a testament of apples being broken. Just like how the ability to run 6 man HT is not an indication that ciders are broken.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  20. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    9:30 PM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    there are parties that clears 5~6 man HTs with cider or even coke pill with half of the total time of the expedition to spare, that's not the case for 20 man PBs where some runs even requires full apple time in case dcs happens, and the timer is still very tight

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1