1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Timeline of updates

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by vitriaxx, May 27, 2023.

Tags:

Would you like to have a timeline on future changes?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No, i enjoy the surprise

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    12:43 AM
    As the tittle suggest could the developement team be more open and transparent regarding the timeline of accepted suggestions being implemented in the game as well as proposed changes in content hinted in update blog post (Anni event /balance changes Aug 2022) . Such as defence rework and PQ revamp.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    10:43 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I think expecting a team of volunteers working on a private MMO server to give timelines for feature releases is hilariously unrealistic, and I do believe they've said as much several times. This isn't a traditional codebase we're talking about; it's existing MMO files that are being hacked in whatever jank ways possible to make it possible to do what they can. That things can even be made to work in a way that doesn't cause crashes or other problems is through a whole lot of effort. The amount of time required to do much of anything, or whether it's even possible in the first place, is entirely unpredictable for those reasons.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    Sorry, I came in here thinking that you had a timeline of updates.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    i do understand that this is a private server and that there are many difficulties and challenges the team face with old and janky code. I do have to state that maplelegends earns revenue through donations that is obviously optional and only enables donators to purchase donor cash shop items (which are just cosmetics). I will say I do not know if they make a profit on running this service and/or anyone of the team involved with maplelegends be it programmers, balance team etc are on a payroll or they are completely volunteering. As a live service game I am just making a suggestion that having a timeline would help in communicating the progress of future plans, which is something players can look forward to. Instead of how it is currently handled now. And as i said in my first post this is just a suggestion and ive included a poll to see what people feel regarding having a timeline. I am not demanding them nor expecting them to do it, i’m just suggesting an idea where the team could be more transparent with what they are working on and/or progress. Regarding your point about it being “hilariously unrealistic” I think that being condescending towards suggestions isnt very healthy for discussions about the game.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  5. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    10:43 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    They are not on payroll; I believe the amount that comes in from donations is maybe enough to keep the servers going (and even then I'm skeptical of that) and absolutely not enough to actually pay anyone to be doing this.

The problem isn't what people think about having a timeline; I'm sure everyone would be thrilled if it were possible for staff to communicate reasonable deadlines as to what features are being worked on and when they're expected to be released. The problem is that it's not possible to implement in any way that wouldn't just involve perpetual posts about things being delayed or cancelled, people being frustrated, staff getting burnt out, and nothing beneficial being accomplished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    7:43 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I don't think a timeline is necessary, as long as we get occasional check-ins that it's still being worked on and progress is being made.

7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    4:43 PM
    Moderator Post
    There's a channel on Discord where we show teases from time to time. We don't really stop development randomly because there's no reason to, which means the only other answer is that we are still working on the Anniversary Events and what comes with its update.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    7:43 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I think the teases are cute but don't offer much in way of player reassurance. I think a better example would be PastaPasta 's post in here that goes into a bit more detail and touches on more concrete information. It's hard for players to actually see the relationship between teases and what's being worked on until the content is actually released.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. OP
    OP
    vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    Thanks for the informative reply, i wish you would say that at the start instead of your first post. Your point helped me understand why having a timeline wouldnt be such a good idea. I hope this post can bring about more discussion around the games future plans. However i still think theres a better way of informing players about progress regarding the game instead of how it is being handled now. I do not have answer for what “a better way” is but certainly not how it is currently.

10. OP
    OP
    vitriaxx

vitriaxx Slime

Feb 10, 2021
    This hits the spot 100% of how i feel about the way future plans are being communicated towards the player. I think more formal post would be much more beneficial in communicating progress rather than teases through discord. (FYI My opinion might be a bit bias as i don’t use or check discord often)

11. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    4:43 PM
    Moderator Post
    Giving a detailed timeline is very problematic. In our latest announcement, though, we tried to give more insight into some upcoming plans, and we're looking forward to continuing on that note. I'll move this to accepted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  12. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    11:43 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    curious about the future