1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make Auf DR Only Weapon DR

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gurk, Jul 9, 2023.

1. Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    2:21 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Currently the Auf fight features just one DR and that is the global DR that applies to all attacks. What I am suggesting is for this DR to instead just be a weapon DR, which for those not familiar, is already featured in fights such as Dunas 1.

At present, AMs are highly undesirable in Auf as they offer suboptimal damage with no other redeeming qualities. It is in fact the only class for which one is unable to make a case for bringing. While paladins may reign supreme, all other classes besides AMs still at least bring something to the table.

Now, mages being awful in a boss would ordinarily be a nothingburger as that is typically the default state of things for life as a mage, but I'd like to posit that Auf should be an exception to the rule like with PB. This situation is arguably problematic because the Auf helm is locked behind the boss and is best-in-slot for all classes, meaning that unless the intention is to force AMs into buying helm service, which is both very niche and very expensive (and unlikely to change in that regard unless Auf EV is significantly increased), AMs are at a significant gearing disadvantage relative to other classes.

To just briefly touch on some basic numbers to ground us, I'll go into some relative ballpark figures and use shad as a reference point as it is the next rung on the ladder. A cracked end game IL AM does roughly 5% less damage than a shad (FP will do marginally more than shad) if taking advantage of elemental weakness. If we assume Auf DR to have roughly 13.3% uptime (10 sec DR every ~65 seconds), then being able to ignore DRs would make AMs about 15.4% stronger, i.e. IL AM would be about 10% stronger than shad on body (~18% for FP). Both AMs and shads should theoretically have very similar damage efficiencies in this fight so I think it's reasonable enough to extrapolate from this.

Allowing mages to be unencumbered by DR in Auf would allow AMs to be very solid attackers at main body (in a fashion somewhat similar to PB body), which would then be tempered by a more lackluster performance during the clone phases (similarly to PB statues), which make up somewhere between 40 and 50% of the overall fight. That is to say, allowing AMs to bypass DR would significantly improve their viability in the fight without also making them too strong. I would also add as an aside that being able to ignore DRs would be rather fitting and thematic of NT given Dunas 1 and Nibergen, both being fights where mages have no downtime. Furthermore, this change would not only affect AMs but would also allow bishops to contribute more to the fight and allow them to be a more active participant.

This post has been sponsored by NightzNightz.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    5:21 AM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
  3. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    11:21 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Smh using my name at an attempt to boost your suggestion. That being said, despite the dp changes AM does still feel pretty awful to me in the fight currently. This mainly has to do with triplet phase being very clunky for an AM if they were to use BigBang from below which is anything but smooth as well as the occasional weakness hitting you so you can't jump at all. Summons and ultimates are also completely useless due to elmental resistance.

As buffing AM dpm a bit on Auf would be a welcomed change to me since it doesn't put them up there as top tier attacker and kinda suits the narrative of AM being good in Neo Tokyo. The biggest problem I see with Auf is finding a Bucc for every run and their necessity to the fight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Yup, that's why I mentioned in previous discussions wanting to also lower Auf KB from 140k to something like 90k so that strong AMs could also fill the role of pinner. Wasn't sure if asking for both of those changes together would have been too over the top though or if it'd make AM too competitive...?

It'd also allow pallies to pin outside of DR I suppose, which could be construed as an unnecessary pally buff when they're already an auto-include, but even in this reduced KB scenario I'm not sure that you'd want to run with pally as sole pinner anyways and you'd likely want the SI so that may or may not be a moot point.

5. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    11:21 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    To give an idea to people what is required for constant 90k hits would be ~1580 tma for Paralyze and ~1687 tma for Chain Lightning.
    I'm not sure where your definition of strong AM begins but seems to me like there's next to no ILs on the server considered strong enough. Of course you wont need a 100% hitrate but do want the majority of your hits to be 90k+

6. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Yeah, the number I quoted previously was "80-90k" but I wasn't sure if 80k would be too lenient or not (without having crunched the numbers) and felt that having a higher number would have made gearing up on an AM feel more meaningful. But yeah, I wasn't expecting necessarily 100% hit rate but based on the figures you referenced, 90k does still seem to be too punishing for IL and would largely defeat the purpose of the change (FP mains where?).

It's kind of wild how massive of a difference there is between IL and FP for meeting thresholds. A threshold more suited for IL would be one that is relatively trivial for an FP to reach so I guess there's no way to arrive at a "meaningful" number for both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    6:21 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i very want hear this thread