1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Add a damage ranking system in bosses

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Endorphinss, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:39 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Bea doesn't post dpm, she still eats the falafel shwarma pizza sushi combo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    8:39 PM
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    3:39 PM
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but it can prove frustrating for some players. Also don't forget damage isn't everything. Each class contributes to the boss-fight in its own way with different utility.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  4. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    No one said or claimed damage is everything. ofc the a bishop would be very viable a boss fight in others ways beside damage.
    But getting upset after seeing less damage than the rest as a bishop is kinda dumb :)
    I dont really understand the frustration claims about such system, its just numbers and we all chose are classes knowing there is
    a superior NL class that is better than the rest
    ofc that being a hero and having a NL on my pt on a single target dmg boss, he will probably outdamage me, i just wanna know by how much?
    maybe the difference is not as far as people think? maybe i want to compare to similar classes?

5. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    You can still use the dpm thread for it.

6. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    ill have to ask everyone to use dpm, ill have to wait for everyone to post it, and ill have to sort the damage myself.
    too much work when it can be done easily

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    DPM meters in Maple Story wouldn't have the same intencive as it has in other MMORPGs.

Other games have similiar progression for each character and different balancing motives. For example, in most mmo's there's a fixed character level along with every item having the same stats with others, except certain enchantments which is a player crafting thing and everyone would have it anyway.

For Maple, things are a bit different. We scroll our equipment which requires much more resoruces than other games, meaning everyone would be on a different scale than others. This also goes with level, which skills you leveled first etc. etc.

We also shouldn't forget that a lot of players don't play this game for obtaining the most DPM values. As explained above by others, many people are in this for their own fun.

If we add a DPM list at the end of expeditions, we could start seeing a class shift, player demotivaion and a lot of optimization precautions for this already very unbalanced game.

The initial game design of maple story isn't really a great foundation for its diverse gameplay opportunity.

On the other hand, there are people who would like to see how they perform, motivate themselves, get insight from other players and improve themselves. That's exactly why we have the DPM thread in the first place. If you want to achieve these, I'd suggest motivating others with a similiar mindset into doing it. Noone is against improving the expedition aspect of the game, but there are ways to do it without breaking others and I suggest doing it, but not this.

also this...

...sounds like a "you" issue tbh.

8. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    8:39 AM
    iPippy
    Why are we saying damage isn't everything as if the bishop and dk aren't the first classes to be replaced by mules explicitly due to lower damage?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    8:39 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    no one must know my 4mil dpm. Wait, shit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    5:39 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Don’t forget the greatest class of them all, shadowers

11. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I can see this being useful, but only if it can also be turned off before a run even starts from, say, the run host or something along those lines. Not all bossing is being done with the same intent, and features like this, if mandatory, can skew bossing more towards "optimal" playing even for bossing that's being done as something more for inclusiveness rather than pushing for the extremes.

To use an earlier example in this thread, if someone's doing a 30-player PB attempt open to any newcomer, then this should be able to be turned off for that because that's not the sort of thing they're looking for when doing that.

I think there's less of a risk of this fracturing the community, because there are already plenty of people who care about things like DPS and whatnot as it is. Hell, we already have an in-game command for DPS checking. I can see this being useful to those sorts of bossing attempts, but I wouldn't want to see this forcing DPS comparisons for people whose goals have nothing to do with it. After all, there are multiple ways to play this game; we shouldn't force a mechanic like this that emphasizes one particular way of playing, on everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. OP
    OP
    Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    Endorphins
    Im not asking to force anything here, add an option in the npc
    People that want to see it can click on it, the others dont have to

13. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    People are too soft for this to be implemented which is why I'm against it. I wanna make sure everyone feels welcome

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:39 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I've seen some cases of some people using high att pot to impress the parties, I think this could turn out to be a boring thing

15. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    It's already easy enough to guesstimate DPM based off class and level

Outside of the minority of players who willingly compete for DPM, in practice this feature would only be used to call out apple skimpers and stoners

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    You say that like it's a bad thing :^)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Apple skimping should qualify under mass griefing, so a way to weed them out would be a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    Thief
    Siege
    always thought its nice idea
    I think it will make ppl more :
    • motivate
    • let them see diff and where they standing where its come to dpm
    • active in runs and give more effort

I can see where its can be harmful and invites bullying but I think its a nice info to share in the pt , maybe a toggle option can solve it all .

• Agree Agree x 1