1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The PQ Revamp We Need

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by -ovv, Aug 11, 2023.

1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    2:05 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Beyond the incentives debate, one of the biggest reasons why PQs are dead zones are the level restrictions. The mechanisms of the game (Levels/exp) go directly counter to the replayability of this type of content. This forces players to adopt counter-intuitive methods to keep playing the type of content they need/enjoy by: 1) self-sabotaging their progress by killing themselves repeatedly to stay within the level range or 2) creating new characters, thereby limiting their path towards other areas of content (higher level PQs, bosses).

I would like to suggest making PQs available for all level ranges above the limit, with the balancing itself coming from having your stats normalized to the median level of the PQ range.

I'm sure it has been proposed many times before, but I would like to re-open this discussion.

I personally would love to run PQ content with fellow guildies or even strangers from time to time, but I do not wish to create a character for the sole purpose of running that content. I'm sure many feel the same way. Also, it would be fun to have more facilitated spaces where older players can engage directly with newer players in the community, which is something I think this server desperately needs.

The Tower PQ this last event showed what the social impact of content implemented in this way could look like. Let's implement it for the rest of the content in the server that already exists.

Edit:

Realized I should expand a bit on how I think this should be implemented:
    • People who are within the PQ level range will have their own stats
    • People who are above the PQ level range will have their stats normalized to the median. These can be pre-determined amounts based on the armor for that level range (hi, new market for lower level equips)
    • Skills that are not obtainable within the PQ level range will be blocked (not sure how coding works but preferably this block list would include all skills, including passives, that are unobtainable by PQ levels)
    Some benefits of a system like this:
    Pros:
    • Opens access to PQ content to most everyone in the server, which theoretically should increase number of groups that run PQ. Smegas for PQ recruitment can be answered by everyone, not just people within a barely existent niche.
    • Washing INT mules can benefit from running PQs with normalized stats, albeit at an over leveled state. It'll be inefficient, but it's an option to run content instead of hanging on ropes.
    • Over-leveled players can go back and complete questlines and hunt for PQ items to complete their collections.
    • More content for everyone
    Cons:
    • Use of dev time/resources to implement a change like this
    • Isn't end-game related content
    • Potential for muling/abuse, but I can't imagine it'd be any more effective or abusable than self-leeching already is

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    11:05 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    This sounds like it'd require tremendous customisations. What would the skills of these characters look like?
    This would either require a way for characters to either:
    - Have their actual SP and AP temporarily adjusted (which imho sounds like asking for bugs to occur and being left with a broken character after e.g. dcing)
    - Have their AP and SP remain the same but blocking out the use of any 3rd- and 4th job related skills while inside the PQ while also adjusting the formula for their damage when using 1st and 2nd job skills. (This example is for LPQ, obviously it'd be different jobs for different PQs). On top of that, you'd have to figure out a way to force these characters to only wear gear within the level range of the PQ.
    I don't think either sounds feasible or even realistic to implement. Granted, I fully believe that our beloved PastaPasta is an absolute wizard.

I think a more feasible approach would be encouraging the use of PQ mules. I understand this is less fun and healthy than the proposed suggestion, I believe it'd require much less hacky customisation and thus open up less doors for bugs or potential exploits to occur.

Whether this be done through adjusting the rewards (as proposed before) or making the PQ rewards tradeable within account (likewise), that's a separate discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm not a dev so I can't speak on the coding side of things, but I'd imagine it could be done by blocking a list of active skills. As for blocking passive skills like mastery, even with those allowed, I don't think it'd make the PQing experience gamebreaking. Regardless, I'm sure Pasta could work his magic and find a way to disable those too. We already know maps have the ability to disable mobility, mounts, buffs, or all skills. We even know that certain maps can cause instadeath if you don't wear certain equips (GPQ). Would it be that much of a jump to map out a table of restricted skills? I'm sure it'd be difficult trying to write around the spaghetti code, but if this is to be seen as a full revamp, I'd reckon the approach would have to be fully custom anyways. Same goes for the AP redistribution.

And forcing players to wear a different set of gears sounds more like a perk to me, not a downside. It'd incentivize players at least having an additional set of gear for certain PQs in case they ever run into a situation where they want to help others out. This adds a bit of value to low level gear and 60% scrolls. I know I'd be more than happy to rock some nostalgic Dark Identities or Guiltians and the assorted weapons in PQs without the worry of ruining my min-maxed character stats.

I'm saying this as someone who already has access to all the PQs through various characters, but never once have I felt inclined to go out of the way to log into those accounts and help someone because it'd mean logging onto a character I don't regularly play. During the Tower Event, I didn't mind helping others out since it was easily available and it felt like I was progressing my main characters in some way. A counter-point to the idea of PQ muling is that making PQ mules is already accessible, yet it seemingly has no effect on PQing availability as a whole.

I am also making this suggestion in anticipation for future content releases like PQ clear leaderboards :V

4. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    6:05 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I think something like that could work, I would do a lot of EPQ for the earring

5. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    3:05 AM
    Corsair
    love any idea aimed at helping PQ's! what would you do about skills like burst fire which are passives that change a skill from a lower job? or just passive skills from higher jobs in general.

6. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Not sure how the code works, but for those types of skills, I had always thought the base skill was still the lower job skill, and the passive was an application on top of the base skill. So if the passive were to be blocked, the base skill would still function properly. Just a guess, though.

Even so, if Burst Fire were allowed, I don't think it'd be all that game breaking anyways. Same goes for most passives that are applied (homing beacon, wrath of the octopi, etc.).

7. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    5:05 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I think I mentioned this in the other PQ thread about some of the suggestions there, but this suggestion is also one done by a few modern MMOs. You "down-level" to the top of the level range for the party quest, your stats are scaled appropriately, and the skills that you have are dropped accordingly as well. Though that game specifically distributes stats by level and skills are unlocked per level rather than any sort of point allocation, so it has an easier time "down-leveling" the character to the appropriate build since there are far fewer player choices when it comes to skills or stats.

I guess, then, for the sake of keeping things balanced and accounting for a large amount of variation due to equipment and stat/skill distributions, I would suggest that your base stats should be scaled proportionally to the maximum base stat total possible by the given PQ's top part of the level range, specifically for the actual effects of those stats rather than requirements for equipment (so you'll keep all your equipment but you'll hit for less and have less HP/MP), equipment base attack/defense (not accounting for scrolling!) gets downscaled to the highest equivalent stat attainable in that slot, without scrolling, that can be worn at that level (we're talking armor defense and weapon attack being downscaled and not anything else), and that you'd be limited to the skills usable by the particular job that fits within the top level of the level range for the PQ. This should appropriately scale the things that can be sanely scaled.

8. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    I figure it'd be a challenge to disable them, but I'm not a developer so it's just speculation. If these skills were kept intact it would probably make Corsair the best class for PQ's. For third job PQ's Bullseye is an incredible buff for single target damage, plus Elemental Boost and Wrath of the Octopi are amazing buffs as well. Also, Burst fire would be ridiculously strong for KPQ. It would be pretty important to seal off these buffs imo.

If I could PQ on higher levelled characters I would probably do it all of the time. The social aspect along with PQ rewards sounds like lots of fun to me. If this is reasonable in terms of developer resources I think it would 100% be worth it.

9. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
  10. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The balance matters have already been addressed in the original post. Normalizing stats to the median level range while restricting skills would make it essentially the same as any other ‘normal’ PQer. Unless you’re talking about other areas of balance such as being able to revisit PQs you’ve outleveled as a point of imbalance, which just seem like a gatekeeping issue to me.

Your suggestion doesn’t address the accessibility issue for new players who want to PQ but can’t find enough players, which is the main point of my suggestion. Removing the level cap would bridge that gap and allow people to participate without the hassle of making mules. It would also facilitate for a space where older players can interact with newer players.

Being extremely custom is not an issue anymore.

11. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    My main concern is with access to skills not normally available at that level, like KPQ with maxed 2nd job skills, as well as access to endgame equips. Stuff like higher speed/attack equips provide a huge advantage. I also don't like the idea of unlimited access to monster book pages and equips like Altaire earrings. I don't want buffs for PQs to be held back because it would change the metagame for endgame players. I would rather have higher level versions of these PQs balanced separately.

I don't know if you've leveled via PQs on private servers where high level players were incentivized to PQ with low levels. It's a miserable experience. Certain skills and setups inevitably change the experience in radical and unpredictable ways and new players are often treated as undesirable for parties. Just look at how people on here treat undergeared and casual players in bossing and then imagine that experience beginning right at level 21.

I think I'd be more open to it if drops/rewards were totally different for low lvl and high lvl players so that they could be balanced independently.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  12. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Your concerns seem like they're coming from someone that is trying to preserve the accomplishments of a niche playstyle -- that of utilizing PQs to advance your main characters and gearing up with PQ-gated equips/rewards -- which is a valid concern, but this is done so by gatekeeping access to content from the large majority of the server that never had a chance to PQ on their characters because of the washing meta. Personally, I think a more active PQ scene would be desirable even if it creates new metas with gear, but that isn't even my primary goal. My goal is to open up access to PQ so that new players don't have to spam smegas only to realize there aren't enough people interested in running this PQ or logging onto their PQ mules - let alone enough people that fit the criteria for their level-restrictive PQ in any given time of the day. A larger audience could help fix this and improve the new player experience greatly.

Additionally, the proposed mechanic of normalizing stats could open up access to people who are washing their characters and have a large portion of their stats assigned to INT. Stat normalization would allow them to progress their characters through PQs, albeit at a slower rate (doing content that's meant for lower levels than their character), but nevertheless, it'd be an option for them. This could be a viable way of progressing for new players who are interested in washing whilst still giving them the fun in spending time on a playable INT-ridden character. (I just realized there could be potential mishaps if someone levels up with PQ-adjusted stats and loses out on bonus MP gains, especially if their goal is to wash. This is something that would probably need to be addressed).

As for access to the Monsterbook Cards & Altaire Earrings, these are moot points. You can already purchase PQ boss cards that you may have missed and you can craft Element Pierces which are far better than Altaire Earrings. However, I could see some higher level players opting to run OPQ specifically for a chance at untradeable higher stat earrings. That being said, the balance is maintained because anyone who levels past the PQ can still have access to those PQs. The only people that 'lose out' are those who already have these level-gated PQ rewards and might feel less special with more people suddenly having access to them.

That said, I'm a bit confused by some of your points - why does it even matter if some characters have a huge advantage? Is that not an advantage that one will eventually come into as they level up themselves? Are there components in PQs that require PvP interaction where this would create an unfair imbalance?

13. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    Corsair
    I could see higher levelled players not wanting to play with lower levelled players. Especially newer players who are under-geared, or who messed up their skill build. Though it wouldn't be too hard to balance these things. Ideally using all the meta gear, and using the meta class you should be no stronger than a geared player at the level cap for the PQ. Giving higher levelled players set stats when entering allows for a huge amount of customization and tweaking. That way it's no different than it already is. Besides the amount of potential carries.

14. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The entirety of this suggestion is based on the premise that higher levels want to interact with lower level players. It's weird to speculate that a character that is already giving up their time to participate in a PQ out of charity and good will would be toxic enough to put down new players.

The incentive for higher level players to PQ at lower levels is that it builds community. The game doesn't facilitate for this very well, so changes to things like PQs would be a start.

15. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Have you played on a server with uncapped PQs like this? I'm asking seriously cause I have and my concerns are informed by that experience. People using skills not normally available is not an issue in a vacuum but can become massively problematic under the right circumstances. Let me give you an example: I was leveling on another server and got to level 21. I headed straight to KPQ and, with some luck, eventually got a party together. One of the people in the party was a Bishop. He was really pushy about being party leader. As soon as we got into KPQ he expelled everyone from the party. Turns out one of the other characters in the party was his alt. Stage 1 is a really good leech spot, apparently, and he only needed other players in order to get into the PQ. After the timer ran out I saw him outside KPQ trying to convince other players to make him party leader.

This sort of behavior is extremely detrimental to new players. I honestly don't care if high level players are doing stuff like this on their own--in fact, I support players finding creative ways to play the game, and I support changes to the game to allow this kind of stuff. It becomes a problem when it negatively impacts either other players or the economy. I don't want experienced players to be able to break or abuse PQs at the expense of new and low level players.

You frame this as people running PQs "for charity" but let's be realistic here, PQs are not going to become popular because of people running them on high level characters for fun. They are going to be doing them because they offer some sort of advantage or progression compared to normal endgame play or leeching.

A related issue is that opening up PQs like this hamstrings how they can be buffed. Consider XP buffs: if XP of a certain PQ is too high, people will absolutely run it for way, way longer than they should. An example of this is CPQ, and it's why CPQ is not present on ML. You could CPQ for the better part of 2nd job and it was vastly overpowered compared to anything else. Having level limits makes this easier to balance as every PQ comes with an expiration date.

16. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Not an issue. Easily reportable as mass griefing. Just because it happened in a lesser known server doesn't mean it'll take hold and become a problem in Legends, and if it does, there are steps Staff can take to prevent it from happening again.

This is speculation, and probably a wrong one. If the goal is to increase the number of people PQing, increasing the access should naturally increase the floor average.

EXP buffs to PQs are yet another counterintuitive idea for PQ activity as it runs directly against the level cap design.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  17. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    5:05 AM
    iPippy
    I actually find this to the probably incorrect speculation. After the initial novelty of "main in low level pq" wears off, I don't see myself ever returning to them for charity, and I'm not sure why we are assuming most players would.

We can already observe players cutting other players and classes from relevant bossing content to maximize their own efficiency. Why would they want to waste time on the pq content which is cited to be worse than grinding/leeching in both exp and meso (at the pqs level range, let alone 4th job)?

If charity bossing is already memed on, why do we assume charity pqing will suddenly take off more than the interested players making a pq mule?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Because charity bossing still exists and contributes to the total number of boss runs as a non-zero factor. If there were a level cap on bossing like we have in PQs, charity bossing would cease to exist and the total number of boss runs would also decrease, presumably. Just apply the inverse logic to PQs and their current level cap restrictions.

This is coming from my own lifestage in the game, but I could find myself running more PQs with strangers or friends in need if I were able to run on my non-mule accounts. Sure, I could run on PQ mules if I wanted to, but I'd argue that there is a huge difference running content on a character you want to versus running content on a character you don't really care about. Removing the level cap restriction would greatly open up the number of people available to answer those disheartened PQ recruitment smegas, and statistically that should have a positive effect on PQs being run.

This is also why I'm not really convinced that buffing rewards to incentivize more PQ muling would be all that effective. Either it gets buffed to the point where established players are farming it (which would soon enough be optimized to exclude inefficient new players anyways), or it's negligible and would get ignored by established players, leaving those who want to run PQ (newer players) in the same conundrum.

Another point I want to add is that if PQ leaderboards ever get implemented like we've seen in recent events, having the leaderboards filled with mule accounts won't have the same effect or satisfaction as one filled with main accounts. Ego-based incentives are key in a late stage server like Legends.