1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Absolve Gaviota from Summon Sins

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Gurk, Oct 4, 2023.

Free the bird?

1. yes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. YAS

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    5:10 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    The logic behind severely nerfing the drop rate of summons is that they are both extremely afk and scalable for farming, making them ripe for degenerate multiclienting "gameplay".

However, while Gaviota is technically a summon, it differs from the rest of the pack in that it is both not very afk and not at all scalable as it attacks only once before disappearing and must thus be cast every 5 seconds (its cooldown). It could be argued that one could simply hold down Gaviota but this would not be very feasible for multiclient setups and would still be worse than the likes of macroing bstep on a shad or dragon strike on a bucc.

Additionally, Gaviota does low damage and also goes virtually unused in bossing because the net damage output is extremely minimal when used correctly (and a net loss when used incorrectly) while requiring significantly more effort, focus and APM (must be used at the same time as another skill). While I personally try to make use of it in bossing because I think it's fun, I think it's mostly a wash and hurts my dpm more than it helps. Neutering the drop rate of other summons is fair enough because they are still free damage in bossing but Gaviota is not very useful or practical for either bossing or farming.

Now, there are plenty of skills that are largely useless in this game so that is arguably not an issue in itself. However, Gaviota is only useless precisely because it has been subjected to the aforementioned drop rate nerfs, i.e. an already mediocre skill was nerfed into the ground by guilt by association. Personally, before I was made aware of the nerfs, I liked to make the occasional use of Gaviota in conjunction with other attack skills for card farming at weak mobs and I imagine Outlaws could also use it for a slight bump to their already atrocious third job grinding. This would be ill-advised however with the currently applied nerfs.

I am thus suggesting that Gaviota be made an exception to the summon nerfs.

#freethebird
    #unleashthecarpaltunnel

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    8:10 PM
    iPippy
    Gaviota summons a bird so it must be nerfed. Similarly, Band of Thieves must also be nerfed due to summoning, well, a band of thieves.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Shadow Partner is a summon as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    8:10 PM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    I feel like un nerfing it might allow people to multifarm using gaviota + airstrike or some other combination. It is not a particularly useful skill for a single player anyway so I don't see why you would want this unless you're planning to abuse.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  5. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    2:10 AM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Yes we can never want anything unless we abuse things. Very nice approach to any and all suggestions.

6. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    You could already replace gaviota in that hypothetical with another skill like flamethrower (which you could also macro 3x of, unlike gaviota). Either way, it would require two inputs per client, which is a bit unwieldy. If there was actually an issue with the above, it would be with air strike, not gaviota.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  7. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
  8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:10 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    #FreeTheBird

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    9:10 PM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    #FreeTheBird

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
  11. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    2:10 AM
    Moderator Post
    The bird will be freed in the coming patch.

The fact that it needs to be recast after each hit makes it virtually similar to any other single-target attack, which doesn't really warrant an afk-related nerf.

• Great Work Great Work x 12