1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Name Change

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Potatoe, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Potatoe

Potatoe Snail

Jun 3, 2015
    7:42 AM
    Make the character name change coupon available in the cash shop?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brice

Brice Stone Golem

May 16, 2015
    Male
    1:42 PM
    Sharp
    Bowmaster
    Aeon
    Agree if this would be a donor option so people won't change there name every weekend.

3. Infidel

Infidel Capt. Latanica

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Infidel / Duke
    Priest, Hunter
    FaerieCircle
    Great idea. Make it like 10k NX so it would cost $10 for a name change.
    It's a Win-Win!

4. Admiral

Admiral Mushmom

May 30, 2015
    1:42 PM
    Make it either like $5 or 20k NX vote cash one time use only.

5. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    8:42 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Or a think of a better name when you make the character for the first time OnionXD

6. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    What's the big deal with people changing their IGN?

7. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    8:42 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    On all the servers I saw it, it tends to cause buddy list/guild bugs which wouldn't get fixed until a server restart. Having people change their IGNs for cheap prices would generate lots of troubles.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Making it a donor item seems like a stupid thing to do, I agree with making it expensive with vote NX.

9. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Someone could get a really bad rep on the server then just change their name. If it was a donor-only feature, the GMs could monitor and easily keep track of who is changing their IGN, and it would also make it so only people who really want to change their name would do it. If it were just 20k nx for a name change, someone could be a complete dick then just change their name and start all over again. I think name changes are confusing and would be too common if they were a non-donor feature.

Like someone else said, just make sure you're happy with your IGN name before you make a character. If it's that big of a deal and it's your main, then donate to change it. Assuming they add it as a donor feature.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bulba

Bulba Skelegon Retired Staff

Dec 11, 2014
    Male
    Singapore
    7:42 PM
    Wasn't there another thread about this issue already?

Regardless of the method of name change if any, the GMs have to record each change manually for tracking reasons.

I also don't want to see too many name changes. You should think about your IGN properly before creating one, so it should either be donor only, or cost a lot of NX, and in addition set a limit to how many times a character can change his name (one is best, you shouldn't be fickleminded more than once).

11. Yell

Yell Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    Overall I don't see the point, but looking into others perspectives:

Make it NX as expensive. Like 20-30k NX expensive. One-time use only.
    Then make it ~10-15$ donation, perhaps limit of 3 uses.
    Even changing your name once is too much, imo, but I can see the points of why people would like to.
    If you want to change it once, you should have the right without having to donate real money to do so. If you need it more than once, you're just a derp, and you should need to put forth a little more to get it.

Idk. 2c.

12. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    What do you mean bad rep? Also wouldn't it be obvious to tell who it was by their level, fame, character NX, attitude, etc?

13. Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    Not necessarily. If someone wants their IGN changed because they want a "new identity" on the server, they'll make it so.
    NX can be changed or taken off.
    Fame goes up and down, no one will remember your exact fame or the fame range of every person they meet. Negative fame wouldnt say anything because some people deliberately collect neg fame instead of pos.
    Attitude is the whole reason they probably want the name change, so they will probably try to act more decent.

Only dead giveaway I see is forum, but some people have more than one forum acc so...not really.

14. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    I just don't see that happening. And if it does, why is it bad?

15. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Because people should have to deal with the consequences of being a shitty person instead of just being an asshole, changing their name and starting over...

16. Ghost

Ghost Dark Stone Golem

Jan 10, 2015
    Male
    Georgia
    They could do the same by making a new character.

17. mettzi

mettzi Pac Pinky

Mar 4, 2015
    Male
    US
    Thymelord
    White Knight
    Sure but then they'd literally have to start all over again on a whole new character. If name changes were easily accessible, they could keep changing the name on their main as they level and progress. 0 consequences.

18. Berz

Berz Orange Mushroom

May 26, 2015
    Male
    Not close enough to the fridge
    6:42 AM
    Beginner
    -
    I have no problem with people changing their name, just like someone changing their hair. It's not that hard to keep track of someone that changes their ign. For me I struggle with remembering names so I will not remember you by your name and will use your look/class/level/guild emblem to recognise you.

Personally I like some shitty people just to balance out people that wipe "morals" in other peoples faces. If they aren't breaking ToS I have no problem with them, as for ign change for scamming purposes, what are you going to get scammed on? Most scams in gms were dealing with pp/nx. For hacking purposes If you can evade ban from hacking I do not think it is the ign change that protected you.

Also for the bugs that happen, if its gms like the name change would happen during a reset/maint to prevent this.

19. Yell

Apr 10, 2015
    With Waldo.
    Snail
    It's not even that. It's people should learn to be decent in the first place, and not have something added for them just to bail out when they are ill mannered.

If someone doesn't like their username, that's w/e. Fine by me. But you can't just hand those people username changes, and not the people who would like a fresh start. So it's a package deal, really. People should just learn to not be so BM.

20. PowderedJinx

PowderedJinx Mushmom

Apr 17, 2015
    Nautilus Harbor
    4:42 AM
    PowderedJinx
    Outlaw
    In my opinion, the name changing function should work as this: The name change coupon should cost 1,000,000 vote NX cash. Now before you tear my head off let me explain why I believe this idea to be so amazing. The reason why is because if a name change coupon cost only around 20,000 vote NX or only a few dollars in real life currency, people would be more inclined to change their in game names due to an impulsive reaction, as it would be relatively easy to come up with 20,000 vote NX or a few couple of IRL dollars. If a person is willing to save up to a million in game vote NX through sheer perseverance, willpower, and determination alone, than that individual deserves every right to change their name to whatever they wish; a privilege such as being able to change your name to whatever you so wish should only be allowed to those who are willing to work hard for it. I believe that saving up 1,000,000 vote nx over an incredibly long period of time while resisting the urge to use NX on other items such as clothes or gachapon tickets is a truly noble feat, and one that should be rewarded.