1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrolling Banner Repeat Limit

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by -ovv, Mar 10, 2023.

1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:13 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Would it be possible to set a repeat limit on the top scrolling banner? Maybe repeat something like 20x before it disappears?

I get that informing the population is important, but at what point does it get to be more of a nuisance to the entire player base than a benefit?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    3:13 AM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    Agreed. It doesn't make sense for it to keep bothering you after you read, but I belive that it would be better if we could just "close" it, instead of the 20x repetition, and making it reappear in case a new message is added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    There's actually a way for staff to make it FM only, as to not get in the way of boss HP bars. This latest message probably should have had that applied.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This would be most ideal. The biggest offender for this black bar of doom is when trying to discern boss HP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:13 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
  6. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    upload_2023-6-8_17-12-49.png

Bump

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    8:13 AM
    Moderator Post
    I will deny this suggestion for now. The reason is that we indeed already have ways to display server messages only in certain maps or only in the freemarket area, but it might not be properly documented for new staff, so I'll be fixing that.

Adding a clientside limit to the scrolling message repeat count, while potentially doable, needs a lot of work, and might not even be necessary if a proper use of the map-bound message is made. If that won't be enough, we will reconsider the limitation. Thanks!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Maybe disable it in boss maps or something.

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    One of the interesting things about the scrolling banner is how easy it is to ignore. I don't know what it is but despite how intrusive it is, I find myself ignoring it most of the time.

There were a lot of people this recent patch that somehow missed the info on it too, and I know many of them logged in while the banner was still active. Plenty of people entered Pink Bean that first week on the June 8th patch despite the constant scrolling banner, which leads me to believe this might not be the best way of getting information across to the playerbase. There were also a ton of bug reports and discord questions about crashing with pets out, again implying that the information was not properly being conveyed.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I get constant dms all the time how long a maintenance will be and such things even though that info is available. At some point you just cant do more for *some* people.

11. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    True, but I wonder if something like a required pop-up banner on log-in or something would be more effective.

12. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    Like the note pop-up with wedding invites? Could be an interesting alternative to send info.

13. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    or even something that automatically pops up in the middle of the screen, on the log-in screen or upon character load-in

14. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    That sounds really fcking annoying and the people who already ignore the banner at the top of the screen will click off the pop up immediately and then go and ask on Discord.

15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Imagine having a pop-up window on every character you login to.. yeah, no, let's not become a modern mobile phone game.

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Current banner is pretty annoying tbh, at least the pop up doesn’t affect you in content once you get rid of it. Banner makes HSing in HT a huge pain in the ass.

If the result is slightly more effort on log-in for no affect on in-game activity and higher rate of dissemination, I would consider that a fair trade-off.

17. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    No banner. Just force people to use the website, forum, or discord for official announcements. Anything outside of that can be chalked up to player skill issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor