1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A decrease in servers population (?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yuki, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Yuki

Yuki Red Snail

May 6, 2015
    Female
    9:47 PM
    Yuki
    I/L Arch Mage
    Over the past couple of weeks until today I've noticed the servers population declining in numbers. Little by little. I talked with several people before prior to this happening and realized most were doing exams still but for most people school has just ended and exams are done. Most of my close friends (older players of the game) have hit a stump and just quit because of boredom.. so the real question is how can we keep this game entertaining to both new and existing players?

2. Xizz3l

Xizz3l Mushmom

May 5, 2015
    Male
    Xizz3l
    Outlaw
    Majestic
    -New content (Like Magatia and ToT which are coming sometime)
    -Small custom features that still relate to GMS (Gacha rebalance etc.)
    -Server events

It's hard to do all this though. I already have huge respect for the Admins and since I don't know anything about coding I assume it's extremely hard work. Bigger staff is the only option I see

• Like Like x 1
  3. Infidel

Infidel Capt. Latanica

Apr 4, 2015
    Male
    USA
    3:47 PM
    Infidel / Duke
    Priest, Hunter
    FaerieCircle
    I'm sure once the wz update with tot and magatia comes out, people will come back

4. Friend

Friend Slime

Jun 7, 2015
    Male
    Friend
    Cleric
    needs server events tbh. events are fun and exciting, kinda stale without it

5. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    Like others have said we have been waiting months on that wz update im sure once it is released it will revive some players, also a summer event would have helped i think.

6. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Hm. I am pretty sure your account didn't login since forever until today. Why this topic right away when you're back?

I am unsure if you're just bringing negative impressions for no reason (since you originally quited when Jaikor left) or not, because the population didn't decrease at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Yuki

Yuki Red Snail

May 6, 2015
    Female
    Yuki
    I/L Arch Mage
    I quitted but I've came back, I do not know whats your problem? its just my observation when i came back, and you have been here since beta until now and you haven't noticed a drop in players, where as the rest of the people in this thread has? Please. Rather than trying to bring fire to this thread, why don't you follow your rules and contribute to the thread with ontopic information

8. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    What? We have during the night 90~100 users now and during weekday peak 170 until the europeans go sleep, and 200 online during weekends. How is that less? I don't understand your claims if they are inaccurate.

I am free to give on-topic contribution (which is still a useless topic since everyone knows we are working hard still everyday on updates), but I don't understand the point of this topic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Yuki

Yuki Red Snail

May 6, 2015
    Female
    Yuki
    I/L Arch Mage
    so the real question is how can we keep this game entertaining to both new and existing players?

I highly suggest you read the thread multiple times then, plus my claims are not inaccurate, as u may have read the posts of this thread so far( assuming you did), but since you wanted an elaboration, people quit and they're getting replaced by new players but still people manage to see a decline in population because old players are dropping out (most likely temporarily) due to lack of

-Events
    -Server Stability
    -Updates (wz, content)
    -Minor server features

like the players here have suggested

10. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    2:47 PM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    The servers population isn't decreasing, the growth of it is simply decreasing. We aren't only adding players now, as some are already growing tired and taking a break.

I agree with the majority of posters so far, a monthlong styled type event would stimulate active playing, helping with both player growth and player retention.

just can't make it to abusable farming wise cause ultimates are crayzay

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Than I am going add into the topic what I've been saying a bit of times over the weeks, which is that we are focusing on stability and server features over events, which is why you won't see events until we believe we are done with the core features of the server, because we believe things working is more important than events, because events can be done all time while things working is important for any MapleStory server.

I am still working on the .wz edits and Magatia and Temple of Time being public announced, also a lot of other things. In end we are a 0.62 MapleStory server, so the .wz editing that makes the server slightly custom than an original v0.62 is bonus content, which will be released once its ready.

If I had to give a % how far the .wz editing is done until release, I would say its at 85% now. Yes, we also have events in plans, but I can't give further information on that for now.

Edit:

@Nikki@Nikki See! Sometimes we can agree on each other <3 Yes, this is a much more accurate statement.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  12. Leslie

Leslie Dark Stone Golem

Jan 4, 2015
    Female
    Joo Won's Bedroom
    I'm still very much interested in playing the server. I don't need events or perks to entertain me. But I am one of those that are currently in school so I don't have as much free time as others. On the weekends the game seems pretty packed.

Maybe you can make an effort to help promote the server? You can start by re-recruiting your friends that left and finding fun stuff to do with each other in game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. zook

zook Capt. Latanica

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    Around
    Candy
    Night Lord
    ~ ~ ~
    a lot of the reason people quit is because the trainin spots for 120+ non mages is slow as fuck if you dont train with a bishop .. that and theres a lot of snobby high leveled people and a lot of debbie downers ha just my 2 cents

14. Kyle

Kyle Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    Male
    2:47 PM
    Paladin
    iirc when i quit most of my guild did as well. same with people like aegis and david. just wanna throw that out there

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    10:47 PM
    It did decrese kim
    Dont count weekends when people have nothing to do .
    Once we had more then 150 daily on USA time zone and 100 on EU Time zone
    Today we have less then dat.

And the main reasons for that is :
    1) There is server features dat to hard for soft core players
    2) No Events , And buff events im sorry to tell u but dats not count as event at all.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Yesterday we had a peak of 180 online during EU times, less when EU go sleep. I don't know for US times, because than we are sleeping. Its possible the US times when EU sleep got less, but surely not the EU peak. 18o is what we never had during weekdays.

17. Stas.

Stas. Windraider

Mar 27, 2015
    Male
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    10:47 PM
    We had over 200 peak as well
    Please do not skip the alerts we mention here , there is player base decrese , i dont care about peaks i talk about avrg daily on
    U must add Content/Unleash the hard grip of yours about things that should be nerfed/ And for god sake make events.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jshyy

jshyy Timer

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    12:47 PM
    kshyy
    Outlaw
    Ive been hanging on the forums only lately but still voting. ill come back once magita is released

19. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    1:47 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I guess you guys just have got to keep plugging away. Soon as we get those new servers and new wz and a little new content, that should help get people more interested. Personally I don't really think the server population appears to be decreasing, though I would say it hasn't grown too much as of late. Anyway, player populations tend to grow and shrink. Just don't panic and keep the long term health of the server in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Navi

Navi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Developer Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    Male
    Moderator Post
    The reason why GM-hosted events are not common is because of the current weak server hardware and infrastructure, not because we do not want to.

The gameplay will not be very smooth if you have 100-200 players in the same map due to the enormous amount of packets sent. I believe Kimberly attempted to host events in the past, but in each of those cases (Jump Quest, Day of Darkness), the event caused issues (lag on portals due to so many players changing maps at the same time; deadlock and server crash). While the deadlock issue should no longer be a problem, lag will definitely be, but once the upgrade has been complete (in the coming weeks), this should be better.

Likewise there is not really a set reward infrastructure, nor is there strong infrastructure yet for the moderators hosting the events (in terms of commands, closing/opening portals, determining winners). Whether it be Scroll of Secrets, Gachapon Boxes, iTCG items, or game cash, a lot of the rewards still need to be decided, cleaned up, or simply coded up, which takes time, especially considering the fact that I haven't seen the purpose in working on it until the server specs improve. All of this event-related content is probably somewhere between 4th - 6th on the priority list after Guild PQ, Zakum, Pet Revival/AP Reset, iTCG/Cash Shop Coupon Codes, and a Cash Shop revamp.

That being said, I am putting the final touches on an independence day event, that will hopefully be fun for you guys.

• Like Like x 3